Oak veneered MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip11

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the limitations of this stuff is please from a furinture making point of view,i.e. jointing etc

Never used it before.

Mick

Biscuit, mitre, mechanical butt joints, housing are all suitable.

It's limits are when you cross grains like dovetail and box joints. There fibres weaken and blow and its hard to apply tiny bits of edging.

With MDF I like to use mechanical fixings as much as I can as the veneer glue may fail or the fibres.

And if you doubt these mechanical fixings, just try knocking some apart after the glue has dried and as per the previous answer, the end of the boards will have to be veneered to cover the MDF, (iron on edging)

Don't sand too much or you will go through the veneer.

Andy

Ideal for carasses, just make sure the edges are banded, over time moisture can cause the edges of the boards to swell. Good with solid for lipping for making shelves etc.

Always go for a mechanical fixing. If screwing would recommend hi lo carcass screws from Hafele, don't go too close to the edge otherwise you can split the board. Biscuits, dominos etc all good.

Good for finishing, just make sure you use the better side of the board.

Its something I use all the time and for what it does its brilliant, but for everything else noo

Latest posts

Back