Oak kitchen worktop / Osmo question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I've previously used IKEA solid oak kitchen worktops with their Behandla oil. I'm more than happy with the results - matt, and a fairly orange resulting hue. Protection is OK (sink and high wear areas lighten over time, but a few minutes with a cabinet scraper and more oil and it looks like new).

I'm about to build another kitchen and I'm looking at other options too. I've previously used some of the offcuts from the worktop to make something else, and used Danish Oil. That gave me a more satin finish, and brown (rather than orange) hue. In the new kitchen I think brown might be a better choice.

The Danish Oil concerns me in terms of wear (possible flaking), so I'm looking at the Osmo products as they seem to be rated on this forum.

I assume TopOil would be the right choice (with or without Wood Protector underneath)? I see the TopOil has both matt and satin options, and from their example images it looks as though it's a more brown than orange end result.

Anyone with experience of these products care to chip in with thoughts (colour, longevity, application etc)?

I'm convinced that Osmo has the edge over Danish Oil for worktops. The smell alone would make it the better choice but it also scores on longevity and ease of refinishing. Incidentally, the spectrum from matt to gloss with Osmo isn't all that great, there is a difference, just the gloss isn't particularly glossy and the matt isn't particularly matt, so if that's important to you then maybe you need to consider other options.

custard":292auz4e said:
I'm convinced that Osmo has the edge over Danish Oil for worktops. The smell alone would make it the better choice but it also scores on longevity and ease of refinishing. Incidentally, the spectrum from matt to gloss with Osmo isn't all that great, there is a difference, just the gloss isn't particularly glossy and the matt isn't particularly matt, so if that's important to you then maybe you need to consider other options.
Thanks Custard. I'm happy with the IKEA oil (likely considered to have very little in the way of protection I guess) but my main reason for a change is the colour. If the OSMO matt is fairly matt, protects well, is food safe, and doesn't cause the oak to go orange then it might be a good choice. I'll see if I can get some samples.

Back