Oak Furniture Land - how's this for hype ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Came across this little snippet at the bottom of this page.

Why buy from expensive department stores or overpriced websites when our furniture is guaranteed to be superior in quality at a fraction of the price, go on give us a try!

Really? "Guaranteed ...". Evidence, please, OFL ?

It then goes on to say ...

All our drawers have dovetail joints, all drawer bases and backs are made with 100% solid hardwood with only the finest cuts of timber used in all our furniture.

but what they omit to tell you is that the hardwood comes in wee little blocks everywhere glued together. Even the top.

ofl.jpg

Attachments

• ofl.jpg
    ofl.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,160
I like their strap line, 'no veneer in 'ere'......

True, but pallets also match that description :D

There's two sides to this:

1. They're selling tat. They're ripping off a gullible public, persuading them that you can get some things (quality and craftsmanship) for almost nothing. The wood is horrible and should be burned instead.
  2. They're expert recyclers. Offcuts, from things like flooring and better-quality furniture construction, needn't go into the furnace, but can be reused as practical boards. Their cheaper methods mean, too, that people can afford solid wood furniture who otherwise couldn't - "upper-crust Ikea" if you will.

I can't see how you can reconcile the two views. I also can see other dichotomies, for example that they encourage/discourage people to go to real makers when they can eventually afford to do so.

The other thing is their actual board-construction technique: how different, if at all, is it from manufacturing Glulam structural timbers? Obviously Glulam is softwood, but it is quality-selected, supposedly stronger than solid timber, and extensively used for shapes and designs where nothing else would do (in architecture, obviously). And then we're well used to kitchen worktops made of staves...

Personally, I can't stand the look of the Oak Furnitureland stuff, but that's the aesthetics of the designs far more than the materials. On the rest I can't make up my mind either way, but in a world of limited and increasingly scarce resources, they are probably at the leading edge of how things will be in the future.

Thin kerf blades are going to become really popular, I fear...

E.

PS: I have never darkened the doorway of any of their showrooms, but I'd be interested to know if they take wood movement into account in their designs, or try to ignore it. It all seems to use thick boards wherever possible. Is there any proper frame+panel construction, or is that irrelevant because of the way they use the raw materials?

The top in the picture Roger posted looks as though it has breadboarded ends. The PC I'm using now sits on a drop-leaf table with breadboarded leaves, from the 1930s or 1940s. Cental heating hasn't been kind to it.

hmmmm.

I was actually thinking about buying my new dining table and chairs from oak furniture land. I really liked the one they had on display (it was the Rustic range). I also took a peak at some of the other furniture and can't say I noticed the block thing, but I wasn't really looking for it. Will have to go take another look.

I hope they don't show display models that aren't representative of what they'll actually send you.

But at the same time, if it's in a draw like that which isn't on display the whole time, is it really a problem? If they do it with surface pieces then that's another story.

But yeah - the stuff they sell is right up my street. Big, chunky, solid, rustic looking, and great finishes. Oh and I love Oak.

It would be interesting if one of the more experienced members here (custard?) could give a rough estimate of what he thinks the materials would be alone and compare it to the price they are charging. Obviously there are all the other costs too, and their timber import prices are of course way cheaper than ours. But just out of curiosity.

Shall we say the 'Original Rustic Solid Oak 3ft 7" Bench'. Should be able to get a very rough idea of materials from the image.

http://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furni ... /5549.html

Eric The Viking":13gz6dva said:
There's two sides to this:

1. They're selling tat. They're ripping off a gullible public, persuading them that you can get some things (quality and craftsmanship) for almost nothing. The wood is horrible and should be burned instead.
  2. They're expert recyclers. Offcuts, from things like flooring and better-quality furniture construction, needn't go into the furnace, but can be reused as practical boards. Their cheaper methods mean, too, that people can afford solid wood furniture who otherwise couldn't - "upper-crust Ikea" if you will.

I can't see how you can reconcile the two views. I also can see other dichotomies, for example that they encourage/discourage people to go to real makers when they can eventually afford to do so.

The other thing is their actual board-construction technique: how different, if at all, is it from manufacturing Glulam structural timbers? Obviously Glulam is softwood, but it is quality-selected, supposedly stronger than solid timber, and extensively used for shapes and designs where nothing else would do (in architecture, obviously). And then we're well used to kitchen worktops made of staves...

Personally, I can't stand the look of the Oak Furnitureland stuff, but that's the aesthetics of the designs far more than the materials. On the rest I can't make up my mind either way, but in a world of limited and increasingly scarce resources, they are probably at the leading edge of how things will be in the future.

Thin kerf blades are going to become really popular, I fear...

E.

PS: I have never darkened the doorway of any of their showrooms, but I'd be interested to know if they take wood movement into account in their designs, or try to ignore it. It all seems to use thick boards wherever possible. Is there any proper frame+panel construction, or is that irrelevant because of the way they use the raw materials?

The top in the picture Roger posted looks as though it has breadboarded ends. The PC I'm using now sits on a drop-leaf table with breadboarded leaves, from the 1930s or 1940s. Cental heating hasn't been kind to it.
May or may not be OFL, of course. :D
cupboard-door-expands-but-no-fault-showing-how-t100224.html

A chap who started importing furniture from China from his bedroom I understand selling it on eBay. He's been loyal to those manufactures that started with him I believe and they still supply him.

Personally I think it's good to get people interested and buying 'brown furniture' again and anything that encourages people to love real wood has to be a good thing. I would have thought that most people as they become more affluent want something that is a more unique than the mass marketed stuff which can only encourage the popularity for hand made bespoke oak furniture and other stuff.

Gets a big thumbs up from me.

What annoys me is the implication, by design, in their advetising that veneering material and methods used in high end furniture making are the same as the carp used on Ikea's chipboard monstrosities and the like. It all leads to a persistent perception by the great unwashed as it were the craftsmanship and an individuals skilled labour and time have no value.
As I'm sure the proffesional makers here will attest, people see their wares and go "wow, great design and hand made. That's skillfully done" But as soon as they discover the price, for the most part they'll say "But I can get it at Ikea/Habitat/OFL for less than half that" being ignorant of the the difference and materiel and construction methods. It is a definate sign that consumerism is still very much the vogue.

Droogs":2ekczqiq said:
What annoys me is the implication, by design, in their advetising that veneering material and methods used in high end furniture making are the same as the carp used on Ikea's chipboard monstrosities and the like. It all leads to a persistent perception by the great unwashed as it were the craftsmanship and an individuals skilled labour and time have no value.
As I'm sure the proffesional makers here will attest, people see their wares and go "wow, great design and hand made. That's skillfully done" But as soon as they discover the price, for the most part they'll say "But I can get it at Ikea/Habitat/OFL for less than half that" being ignorant of the the difference and materiel and construction methods. It is a definate sign that consumerism is still very much the vogue.

I disagree. I think the average person knows thoroughly well that what they purchase at the cheaper stores will have a lower build quality. Lots of people don't care for something that is solid hardwood or will last a lifetime. Fashions change around the clock, so if you know you're likely to change it and the cheaper alternative does the job (which in most cases it does), it makes sense to get the cheaper stuff.

So yes, it might be a false economy, but it can still make sense. It's just another side of the throw away society that we sadly live in.

transatlantic":cr562k2s said:
what he thinks the materials would be alone and compare it to the price they are charging

I'd struggle to buy the solid timber for the price they sell the finished article, certainly when they're running their sales.

I bought a leather sofa from Oak Furniture Land, I wanted a beat up brown leather sofa to go in the kitchen and they had just the thing. I can't tell it apart (at least after a few drinks) from the heavy horse hide sofas you'd find in 1930's clubs, officer's messes, and school common rooms. I'm delighted with it.

What however makes me shudder is the way they assemble their wooden furniture from randomly selected boards. Some of the grain clashes are stupendously jarring.

Oak Furniture Land.jpg

Look at the door panel on the left. Look at the bottom rail on the central door. Look at almost any part of it! And this is an example that they're particularly proud of, so much so it's featured in their web site catalogue.

A hobbyist furniture maker, who applied themselves for a year or two to learn the basics, and then went down to a decent timber yard where they could select sequential boards from the same log, could make something far more harmonious. Something that would age beautifully, that would be restful to live with, and that would delight the eye on a daily basis.

Incidentally, I don't think that I or any other small bespoke furniture maker really competes with Oak Furniture Land, IMO we compete more with say Heals. I often say to clients, I'll make you something for the same price or only a little bit more than you'd pay in Heals, but something that's better made, from better timbers, where you've helped shape every design detail, and that's scaled to exactly fit the spaces in your home.

Attachments

• Oak Furniture Land.jpg
    Oak Furniture Land.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,093
My parents bought a few pieces from OFL. Few days after delivery, they noticed a few little piles of sawdust under the furniture. Woodworm. It was promptly placed outside and a call made to OFL. New pieces were promptly delivered, at which point they were told by the delivery guy that "approx 10% of their furniture suffers from "....

I regularly get enquiries from people asking for something similar to what they have seen in OFL (or other shop) to be made "bespoke" - and then bleating when I give them the price .

From the OFL web site:

"About Us": Instead of buying from expensive wholesalers, who take a lump of profit, we design all our products ourselves and manufacture via exclusive contracts with overseas suppliers.

"FAQ": Is your furniture really 100% solid hardwood?
All of our cabinet furniture is made from 100% solid hardwood from top to toe; veneer, plywood and chipboard are never used. All drawers are made with dovetail joints for added durability. Each drawer and cabinet back are made from solid hardwood; there is no skimping on any part of the furniture. As our adverts say - There's no veneer in 'ere. The timbers used have been kiln dried using state of the art technology which ensures minimal movement and means, if looked after correctly, your furniture will last for years to come.
How can your furniture be made from solid hardwood at these prices?
Because we design, manufacture, market and deliver the furniture using our own dedicated teams it cuts out the need for wholesalers and expensive middlemen. This methodology keeps our costs down meaning more cash in your pocket. Every step of the way, costs are kept to a minimum so we can say with confidence that the prices we offer are incredibly good value for money.
I'm intrigued: doesn't kiln drying kill woodworm? And if it does, how/when are the little beasties getting into the wood?

E.

PS: https://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=oak+furniture+land+woodworm

transatlantic":1bjppanf said:
hmmmm.

I was actually thinking about buying my new dining table and chairs from oak furniture land. I really liked the one they had on display (it was the Rustic range). I also took a peak at some of the other furniture and can't say I noticed the block thing, but I wasn't really looking for it. Will have to go take another look.

....l

If you look closely at the top in the photo you'll see that even the top is made up of thinner pieces glued together.

I was approached by someone a year or two ago who wanted an oak dining table similar to something he'd seen in OFL but slightly different dimensions to fit his kitchen. As custard says, i priced up the timber and it came to quite a bit more than they were selling the finished article for.

Eric The Viking":2rnktc70 said:
.....The top in the picture Roger posted looks as though it has breadboarded ends. The PC I'm using now sits on a drop-leaf table with breadboarded leaves, from the 1930s or 1940s. Cental heating hasn't been kind to it.

I suspect the 'constructed' timber used for their breadboard end could well be more stable than a prime piece of timber.

Wood Block Worktops are easily accepted as manufactured to provide better stability than individual planks, as is furniture with MDF, Ply or block cores with a veneer. If folks are happy to accept the physical appearance who's to say it is not as good as recycled wood chippings tarted up with a machine cut veneer with a man made presentation of the wood figuring as opposed to its natural appearance.

RogerS":25vdlx3m said:
transatlantic":25vdlx3m said:
hmmmm.

....l

If you look closely at the top in the photo you'll see that even the top is made up of thinner pieces glued together.

True - I hadn't noticed it though on the table I was looking at, but as I say, i wasn't really looking for it. I don't think it would bother me though, I still really liked it. Perhaps it would bother me in the future when I became more experienced :p

What an interesting and thoughtful discussion.
Like Eric, I see the two sides of the picture and struggle to reconcile them.

But what tips it to one side for me is that emotionally I want furniture to be long lasting, passed down to the next generation, (especially if it's something I made.)

OFL, and other budget retailers are promoting the idea that furniture can be so cheap that it's disposable without a thought for the wider environmental or economic consequences, and that's what irks me.

Latest posts

Back