Skeleton Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly have time to replace them - there's not that many so I can probably replace the smaller ones using stock I already have but I'm completely out of the longer pieces so I'd have to buy some more in, although I think it's just one that has a really bad knot in.

Damian (ironballs) has already suggested that I should replace one of the uprights as the piece of timber I have is knotted, but all the knots would be down one leg. I always sway between them being a feature or an eyesore.

I might well nip up to Boddy's tomorrow to get some new pieces as I should really listen to what the senior board members suggest!

billw":4v4n84h2 said:
I certainly have time to replace them - there's not that many so I can probably replace the smaller ones using stock I already have but I'm completely out of the longer pieces so I'd have to buy some more in, although I think it's just one that has a really bad knot in.

Damian (ironballs) has already suggested that I should replace one of the uprights as the piece of timber I have is knotted, but all the knots would be down one leg. I always sway between them being a feature or an eyesore.

I might well nip up to Boddy's tomorrow to get some new pieces as I should really listen to what the senior board members suggest!

imo knots or 'features' in wood usually end up an eyesore unless specifically designed to be a part of the furniture. You're making the right choice by replacing them now. It'll be a stunning piece when you are finished!

Disregarding the knots (which I also think should be 'replaced', if possible :roll:), I think done a good job, otherwise, of sorting your timber, which is often crucial in so many projects that we do.

With all that repetition, once you've finished sorting your wood, progress should be pretty swift then! :wink:

So you have been making progress Bill!

I'd just add again about that main upright with the knots in, you can guarantee that you'll need to sink a mortice halfway through one of those knots and the smegger will just end up falling out and the leg will be trash.

This is an exposed joinery piece so I think your timber has to be close to perfect before you start

I've got two nice new planks of sycamore now - so this week's tasks will be to replace all the rubbish bits, and any that have warped. I should have more than enough.

IB - I do most of the this on Thursdays :) About the upright, I've marked it up and to be honest I didn't spot whether the knots are where I'm going to mortice it or not.

Quick update, I've replaced all the warped/knotted pieces and had some left over timber with which I've made some spare pieces and some replacements for pieces that were alright but bettered by the newer timber.

Tonight I'm going to get the new pieces all marked up and possibly start routing the grooves for the dust panels in them all.

I have 6 evenings left before the summer break so I am hoping I can have all the pieces grooved, morticed, and tenoned so that I can spend the summer break gluing them up and sanding them down (with no workshop that's the heaviest work I can manage).

If I can get the uprights done, which will be an absolute stretch, then there's a possibility that I could get the majority of the carcass ready before the start of next term.

Again I think I'm going to struggle with the whole finishing thing - I don't know what finish to use on it yet or whether I should construct the carcass before applying the finish. Decisions, decisions....

billw":3261ngyz said:
I've got two nice new planks of sycamore now - so this week's tasks will be to replace all the rubbish bits, and any that have warped. I should have more than enough.
I think that's an excellent move, try and cut them oversize and leave them in a moderately warm (say bedroom) room oversize for a couple of weeks and see what happens to them...the ones that move the least may well be good to use. I know that you're up against it regarding time but I'd caution being too 'gung-ho' with this project as there's zero room (as Steve M said) for error. You need to be absolutely sure that the timber that's going to be used will stay within tolerance or as stable as needs be - Rob

Two years on, and I'm about 80% done on the frame. Not even started the drawers (and have used most of the bog oak I bought for them for other projects) so there's a ton to do. It did sit unloved for quite a while because I made a bit of a mess of things, but have managed to mostly rectify it - I just need to use a bit of filler here and there now.

On a positive note, it looks pretty square when I cramped it together lol

In fact I just remembered I have a photo of it on my phone, which I'll try and download tonight.

Back