Oak for House Signs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to make house signs and wondered if I could get some advice. I was thinking that Oak would be the best material to use, but I'm having difficulty sourcing it locally. I'd like to know what is the best type of Oak to use (English, European or American), how much I should expect to pay and where to buy.

Many thanks,

Richard.

I wouldn't nessecerily say Oak is the best material, depending on the size of the sign and if its an 1" thick board in a single piece (screwed to the house or a wall), when exposed to the elements it has alot of movement and can snap the screws clean off.
You probably already knew this though, but thought it was worth a mention just in case.
As for using Oak or which type, I would say depends on the type of sign and the type of finish you want.

I would assume that you wouldn't need long lengths, so going to your nearest saw mill and asking for offcuts and the like would probably be the cheapest option.

I would happily use European Oak; Quarter sawn would be the most stable and attractive. Assuming you are looking for a small quantity my fist port of call would be a local joiner or furniture maker as the size you require may almost be an offcut. If you are given a choice go for air dried. Fix to the wall with brass or stainless steel screws for a more contemporary look, using 10 mm long copper tube off cuts as washers to keep it of the wall, this will allow the oak to breathe without water getting trapped behind and allow some movement across the seasons.

a more definite location might help your more, like if you lived in east somerset i could probably help you out.

adidat

Peter Sefton":11ig0pdy said:
Fix to the wall with brass or stainless steel screws for a more contemporary look, using 10 mm long copper tube off cuts as washers to keep it of the wall, this will allow the oak to breathe without water getting trapped behind and allow some movement across the seasons.

This of course also means that a mask can be used between the board and the wall when re-finishing is required. In my case I used tap washers.

xy

Thanks for all advice, particularly regarding fixings. Good idea about using offcuts too ..worth investigating anyway.

Richard.

Oak is the perfect wood for house signs and the best thing is to go to a sawmill that does oak and pick out a load of slabbings and off cuts that they will have lying about and you will get them at firewood price and will be rustic with wavy natural edges which are easier to sell. You will have to have access to a planer thicknesser to smooth the pieces as a lot of the boards will be rough sawn.

Back