Oak drawer boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be of interest to show you what you can knock out with the right equipment.

Items needed
1/ 4 sider
2/ panel saw
3/ speed sander
4/ brookmans dovetailer

start to finish (rough sawn timber to 21 dovetailed drawerboxes) 4.25hrs (2 men on the job)

JTW1si.jpg

Glue setting overnight, quick pass through the sander in the morning, and belt sand the dovetails and into the spray shop by 9.30am.

doctor Bob":bjl63r5o said:
start to finish (rough sawn timber to 21 dovetailed drawerboxes) 4.25hrs

Most hobby woodworkers would probably spend 4.25 hrs just thinking about it :lol: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul,

Paul Chapman":2mscosql said:
doctor Bob":2mscosql said:
start to finish (rough sawn timber to 21 dovetailed drawerboxes) 4.25hrs
Most hobby woodworkers would probably spend 4.25 hrs just thinking about it :lol: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

+1, in fact, I'd probably need a bit more than that. :lol:

Neil

I've taken 5 days so far plus 3 trial attempts and I still haven't made the one small drawer I need to finish my occasional table.

4.5 hours pondering seems quick to me!

Ed Bray":1ra6gzyh said:
I've taken 5 days so far plus 3 trial attempts and I still haven't made the one small drawer I need to finish my occasional table.

4.5 hours pondering seems quick to me!

Main difference between full time and part time woodworkers is the repetition. Many part timers only ever do each task/item once, so the planning/design/tool overhead is huge. If you're full time all that stuff gets amortised down over multiple instances.

BugBear

WoodMangler":2rmes3uv said:
doctor Bob":2rmes3uv said:
What's a '4 sider' ?

Planes all 4 sides at the same time and also pre straightens, so I put a plank in at 200 x 25 and it comes out the other end square and straight at 180 x 15mm or whatever size I put in.

Thats the basics of it.

Eric The Viking":3kyv0wn0 said:
Even allowing for the way-out-of-budget machinery, that's impressive.

I feel I have to ask though: you mention sanding. How much do you take off, to get to finished dimensions?

I'm guessing these will fit a face frame and have Blum runners or simlar, or am I wrong?

E.

I plane to 15.8mm and sand to 15mm, 0.4mm off each side, one pass through the sander on each side.

we were looking at the Omec dovetailers at w14.

How do you get on with the brookmans, are they heavy handed to use, easy to setup, prone to wear?

Bradshaw Joinery":20t19e7q said:
we were looking at the Omec dovetailers at w14.

How do you get on with the brookmans, are they heavy handed to use, easy to setup, prone to wear?

The brookmans is great, as it does all the dovetails in one hit, a drawer box takes maybe 2 mins max. However the Omec is probably better, if a decent 750 auto came on the market I'd buy it.

I looked at the photograph of the boxes, (made my eyes water) but most of all I did not see a knot or any other imperfection. (have you got any wood to spare.)

devonwoody":1a4whakb said:
I looked at the photograph of the boxes, (made my eyes water) but most of all I did not see a knot or any other imperfection. (have you got any wood to spare.)

When customers are paying top dollar then all the imperfections are cut out. However I find paying for a better grade of timber is worth every penny.
I like to think I have a bit of buying power as well due to my annual expenditure and I'm looked after by the timber yard.

Just a weird thing, I've been in this industry for over 20 years and I have never been to a timber yard. I really must go to one someday.

Back