Oak Console Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been working on this table through my level 2 course amongst other projects :x

I have alot more WIP shots, but there on my phone and i can't find my lead to get them on my computer.
So i took a camera in to take picture of what its at now, before i put it in the store cuboard for 9 weeks :(

Im going back to do my Level 3 course in september and im going to finish the console table first, then i plan to move on to a dining room table and maybe some chairs, depending on time :eek:

ok to the table : mainly hand tools used, apart from the machines to plane /thickness the wood

Its made of oak except the the curved components which are made of 3 strips of bendy ply glued together and chucked in a vac-bag ontop of a jig
which was made of mdf

console1.jpg

Curved components were attached in to the legs with some half blind angled dovetails (a challange for me :shock:)

Mortise and tennon attached the 2 back legs to the back rail

Front draw rails/stops were half lapped in to the bottom draw rails which were dovetailed in to the back - which were half lapped in to the curved peices, and the peices going from the back to the front legs were also dovetails.

console2.jpg

better look at the joints

console3.jpg

The legs have a Sycamore Vaneer inlay, with a Walnut Burr Diamond which needs some cleaning up... lol

Thanks everyone for reading, its the longest post ive ever made in my life

More to come when i get back in the workshop :x

Cheers
Jez :)

Jez,
nice work. I thinks those angled DTs would be a challenge for most people. What are your plans for the top?

Andy

thanks for the comment dee :D

Im planning on shaping some MDF and vanearing it with oak with a Walnut Burr border around the front and edge of the top

the curved bits are going to be vaneared with oak too with some kind of decorative border :shock:

Might try some houndstooth dovetails for the draw too if i have the guts :x

Lovely work Jez and those joints look like real fun to cut. I've never tried angled DTs before and your table tempts me down that path

Jez - looks cool, would be good to see some piccis of it when complete. As a suggestion, I would recommend that you clean up all show faces and interior faces before the big glue up - on one of the pics (inlay one) there are some pencil marks close to the leg which might be a little tricky to remove at a later date. Also, clean off excess glue before its set with a cut down half-inch paint which is barely damp with hottish water, if poss. Only some ideas - Rob

cheers

i should have sanded it first your rite lol :x

i wiped away the glue with a damp cloth, i must have mist some spots.

The pencil lines are a guide for some moulding thats going to be put around the legs at a later date
ill sand those off before i glue the moulding on :D

cheers again

woodbloke":3byiw3r1 said:
Jez - Also, clean off excess glue before its set with a cut down half-inch paint which is barely damp with hottish water, if poss. Only some ideas - Rob

Half-inch paint? Stolen? 50/50 mix? Not familiar with the term in this context.

Very nice table Jez, well done.

woodbloke wrote:
Jez - Also, clean off excess glue before its set with a cut down half-inch paint which is barely damp with hottish water, if poss. Only some ideas - Rob

Oops, didn't mean purloined officer, honest :oops: :oops: meant paint brush , as in one of those painty put on things that SWIMBO is fond of these days - Rob

Jez wrote:

The pencil lines are a guide for some moulding thats going to be put around the legs at a later date
ill sand those off before i glue the moulding on

Its a personal thing, but I wouldn't glue any applied mouldings to this piece. Unless done very carefully they always look 'stuck on' and in my view detract from the design rather than enhance it. There is enough detail in this piece, which will look good when finished, in the very well executed inlay at the top of the legs. Remember - KIS (keep it simple) and 'less is more'. Only my view - Rob

Update !

finished Product :
console01.jpg

dovetails.jpg

Finished with a couple of coats of Wax.

alot of construction piccies are on my phone and its abit of a pain uploading them but ill get them up soon! :wink:

I don't think its bad for my 3rd project, I can thank Rob Cosmon for helping me with my Dovetails :D
Final mark was a distinction, well chuffed with that.

Cheers,
Jez

Thats very nice. :D

I look forward to seeing the other pictures once you have got them off of the phone. :roll: :wink:

Jez, that is stunning. A distinction is not praise enough. And for youre 3rd project, well all I can say it's you must be having us on! :wink:

Very well done indeed =D> =D> :eek:ccasion5:

Lee.

Jez - excellent piece of work - glad to see you didn't use any applied mouldings here, inlaid border works well with the oak. One suggestion would have been to use the same inlay at the foot of each leg as a detail at the bottom of the piece, only an idea for a future project but excellent none the less, very well done - Rob

Thanks alot for the great comments guys

I didn't think it really needed the mouldings and like Rob said i didn't want it to look stuck on :D

thanks again,
Cheers,
Jez

Well done Jez - the table looks really great - you must be well pleased. I wish I could do something as intricate as that but I don't have the patience.

Steve

Back