OAK CLOCK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Advise please i am going to make a clock from the wood in the photo,s below and was wondering what i should put on the wood ? should i stabilise the wood and if so how ? and what should i use to finish the clock i am a lover of danish oil but would like to do something else for a change so any suggestions welcome .And i haven;t finished sanding or cleaning the live edge and was thinking of a wire brush on a drill for the live edge
Alan Mock

Attachments

• DSCF8898.jpg
    DSCF8898.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCF8897.jpg
    DSCF8897.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCF8900.jpg
    DSCF8900.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCF8899.jpg
    DSCF8899.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 380
there should be no need to stabilise it, unless there are any splits, which are not apparent on the pictures. I would go with a hard wax oil, I think. I have used chestnut, although osmo always gets good reviews and I will probably buy that the next time I need some. You can fill the pips if you want to, with epoxy, or a metal powder- I wouldnt however. That is personal preference.

Thank,s no i think i will leave pips as they are like you say so with the chestnut oil wax just a few coat,s anything else should i use a sanding sealer ?? what do you think ?? i am also thinking of rounding the edges over but i don,t know as yet :idea: :idea: :? decisions decisions
Alan Mock

Don't use a sanding sealer if you intend using an Oil finish, you need the oil to penetrate the wood.

Sherman1973":1m49q8qm said:
Birchwood caseys true oil gun stock oil....I think would be good really nice stuff builds up a lovely finish

+1 - it's what I used on this chest of drawers. The top and drawer pulls are yew - closer grained than oak - but show the sort of sheen that can be built up relatively quickly - I think they only had two or three coats and it's easy to apply with a cloth.

IMG_4069_zpswy9otnlb.jpg

AndyT":83hgj9eu said:
Sherman1973":83hgj9eu said:
Birchwood caseys true oil gun stock oil....I think would be good really nice stuff builds up a lovely finish

+1 - it's what I used on this chest of drawers. The top and drawer pulls are yew - closer grained than oak - but show the sort of sheen that can be built up relatively quickly - I think they only had two or three coats and it's easy to apply with a cloth.

IMG_4069_zpswy9otnlb.jpg
That looks very nice :) I love the stuff. I think it is polymer based and really does build up quickly to a nice sheen. a light rub over inbetween coats is all you need to do. Anyone can get a good finish with this stuff its that good ;)

Anyone can get a good finish with this stuff : i will hold you to that lol anyway i have done a quick search and cant find any Birchwood caseys true oil gun stock oil but i will have another look later thank,s for all the advice everyone
Alan Mock

Try searching for "tru-oil" which is the way they spell it. Plenty of sellers on eBay. Don't be tempted to buy a bigger bottle than you need, unless you decant it into smaller bottles to stop it going off in the bottle.

"tru-oil" arrived this morning what;s the best method to apply the oil do i sand it back after each coat or just let it build up and use wire wool 0 grade ??
Alan

don't use wire wool on oak.

I use a piece of rag or kitchen towel (rag is better), put a few drops on and rub it in. a little goes a long way. work on an area of about a hand size at a time. build up the coats slowly- apply 3 with an hour or two in between and then leave for 20 hours (so you can do 2 or 3 coats a night). a fine scotchbrite pad between days can help, just don't go too deep and do wipe the dust off. to get a shine, you will need 5 or 6 coats, but just stop when it gets the look that you want

when you open it, prick the aluminium seal rather than peel it off, and try to keep the threads clean. I had a bottle with grubby threads glue itself shut!

looking forward to the pics

I make oak clocks using shotgun cartridges as the numerals. I would not want a shine on them as it would detract from the hands. If you want a more matt/satin finish I used Liberon finising oil, Osmo is an excellent alternative. Only my pref
round clock oak 12_20g Hulluk.jpg
erence.

Attachments

• round clock oak 12_20g Hulluk.jpg
    round clock oak 12_20g Hulluk.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 54
very nice let's have a look at the back of the clock also please is that one piece of oak ?? i have also seen one made with Domino's as the numbers i quiet liked

It's made from 28mm oak planed down to around 22mm with a quartz mechanism router reccessed to give the correct spindle length and a hanger to take the weight. I would not insult this forum if it was anything less.

Back