Oak and Nail Guns..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
I'm building a new porch at home from some lovely European Oak. I'm approaching the point when I have some small trim pieces to install - I was going to glue them and fix them with brads from my air nailer. But I am concerned about the "Oak turning black" problem when using the brads. Is it possible to buy stainless brads for air nailers? Or are the standard galvanised ones alright?
Cheers
Philly :D

Phil,

is this green oak, or seasoned? If it is green, you won't have a great deal of success with any glue.

...........and what's wrong with a tack-hammer and some pins you lazy so&so? :D :D

Mike

Does not compute. Surely you should be making your own moulding planes to add integral mouldings instead of trim? :lol:

Philly I tried to get some SS brads for mine sometime back no luck though.

Mike it's kiln dried Oak. I was considering adding some biscuits, too.

Tom - I am applying the trim mouldings instead of moulding the frame to make life a little easier for me. It would be nice to actually complete this project instead of spending months working out the details, making more planes, etc... :lol:

Thanks Pete!

Cheers

Philly":1gjwm19k said:
Mike it's kiln dried Oak. I was considering adding some biscuits, too.

You do know that biscuit will not add to the strength, it will only help with alligning

Studders
Ouch, not cheap. I have thousands of regular brads already - need to think this over.

Mc - Yeah, it'll help keep it all straight while I get it in postion though. It all helps :lol:

Cheers

I wouldn't biscuit on external works, beech is very non-durable and it would be a nice little compost for fungus.

Is the trim substantial enough to screw and plug?

Otherwise, a little drill and some brass or stainless pins.

Philly":2q7os703 said:
Studders
Ouch, not cheap. I have thousands of regular brads already - need to think this over.

Cheers

Me to, I'll expire before my supply does. I did use some galvanised ones to repair my fence (featheredge) and as far as I can see none of them have rusted two years on. Whether they will be any use on oak I don't know.

Jake,
Might have to go for the screw and plug method - cheers.

Thanks Studders!

I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers

Philly":22jkm867 said:
Jake,
Might have to go for the screw and plug method - cheers.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers

Use stainless or brass screws or you will get staining on the oak

I used my nail gun with galvanised brads to tack and hold my mouldings onto my oak porch before I used stainless pins as it was awkward to get to as I didn't have a third hand, what I now have is very small black dots where the heads are/were

very subtle to see but I know they are there :(

I'd go for the stainless pins and a hammer

rgds

Darren

Back