Oak Adirondack Garden Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally finished making these Adirondack chairs with my brother. They are actually a folding design but because they weigh quite a bit we'll probably only fold them away when we need to (winter) if at all. Unfortunately i have no WIP pics to show for the construction of them i am afraid.
I used stainless steel bolts and screws and finished the chairs with three coats of chesnut finishing oil. I kept a check of how long it took and i think it took about 17hrs for both chairs.
I must say they are bloody comfortable so i am glad we got them finished before the end of the summer so we can make good use of them. Is everyone elses grass so scorched?

AdirondackChairs001.jpg

AdirondackChairs004.jpg

AdirondackChairs008.jpg

AdirondackChairs009.jpg

They look absolutely super B-H, well done. Just the thing for sitting in the shade with a cold one during this heatwave.

Lovely job BH. I just wish I had a pair for use in this glorious weather

Look great.

Did you work from a set of plans ?

What thickness timbers did you use ?

I have some secondhand oak flooring that I thought I might use for similar but might not be thick enough although I guess I could glue up double thickness if it was just for the structural parts.

Cheers, Paul. :D

hi all
thanks for the comments
i was surprised at just how comfortable they are and for me i don't need a footrest. However the parents would like a pair with a small table as well.
I used a set of veritas plans for the build and made some templates out of mdf in case i needed them for the future.
The required wood it states is 3/4 inch but i used 20mm thick i think throughout, it was close.
I think i may have got my dad to make some photocopies, if i can find a spare i'll send it to you if you like paul.

regards

Excellent job,and look beautifully finished :D

And they look enormously inviting - comfy chairs designed for sitting and drinking,enjoying the sun while it lasts.

Andrew

Very nice, I like the fact that you know how many hours they took. I do this for a living and its really important to know the hours that go into a job, motivates me to work at a commercial pace rather than daydream pace.

I take it you meant 17hrs for the two of you ie. 34hrs
Lovely job, I never seem to get time to make projects for my own use :cry:

Cheers
Julian

Back