nutcracker soldier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melinda_dd":1awlsctw said:
Great thanks for those. I'm hoping to start on it tomorrow as I've had a bit of a nightmare with my lathe situation, but think I'm back in the spin now!

All these tips though I'm thinking I shouldn'tt have too many problems! ha ha watch this space!!!

Good luck and dont forget the pictures.

This is def. the site for tips ect!!! I haven't yet been disappointed with the responses I've had!

UPDATE:
The body is turned... trunk, belt and lower trunk went ok no problems apart from i wanted to make a big one and the only size wood I could get from our timber yard is 3x3.. any bigger would have been fence posts.

also turned the head (separately).... and the hat..not happy with that.... looks more like a bowler hat! proportions not right so will try again!
I will put some pictures on but it's difficult as I'm trying to make it as a gift for christmas without the better half seeing it... think it might be a late chrimbo pressie!
After that I couldn't feel my feet and I think my toes were about to drop off so thought I'd call it a day! think I'll have to get a heater... my little shed's never had so much use all 6x4 of it...

For a bigger blank just glue up some smaller ones. Since everything is painted, you'll never see the glue lines.
If the surfaces are really flat, you won't even see them on the bare wood.

The article I referenced is excellent because his nutcracker is very dynamic. Shoulder, elbow and hands
all move. Far more fun than a rigid one. Gives at least three ideas for helmet styles plus various uniform decorations (epaulets, sword & sheath, buttons, etc.)

Joe

The book is on order!!

I've now morticed the body section, and cut the groove on the back for the handle... thanks to a college tutor who looked the other way while I was suppose to be doing an assessment piece last night, and instead I did the nutcracker!

Bob, that video is very good although I'm not too sure about the ability of someone who uses a hammer and chisel on a coffee table?

I wonder just how loud the "'elf & safety" would screem at the sight of the band driven lathe and the way he stopped it? Also, anyone any idea of what the chucking method was where he just belted the blank onto some kind of spike and it held as well as I did? Nice use of the scew though! I wish I was that good...

For when I get to painting it, can i have some advice on what paint to use... anything special or what ever i have laying around with a varnish over the top?... also is a primer needed?
I used pine... don't know it that will make a difference or not to the answer?

Look forward to seeing the finished piece Melinda, I would use a primer, but more importantly if there are any knots or resinous areas coat them with 'Knotting solution' first or they will bleed through your paint!!, you could use basic artist acylic paints, easy to use, and then perhaps an acrylic laquer over the top. Good luck, regards Darren

i picked bits of wood that didn't have any knots in, and the grain looks normal... not to resiny! do you think I will still need it?.. got some acrylic paint from B and q to paint the tubes of my pens ... any good?

Hi yeah any acrylic paint should do, i use basic builders acrylic as base coats for stuff, it dries quickly and can build up layers to fill grain and easy to sand to get a nice smooth base, after that use artists acrylic paints, although oil based will probably give a higher smoother gloss finish off the brush. Best thing is to get a few scraps and prep them the same, and do a few samples, see how you get on, thing with artists stuff is you can get small tubes as opposed to buckets of the stuff. Oh and if your wood is not free then you can leave off the knotting solution, but if there are any pockets of resin, i'd coat them or dab on some meths, Darren

Melinda, paint depends on the look you want. I prefer a more matte finish over the usual high gloss you see with most of these.

I prime with a 1# cut shellac, then use a good quality artist acrylic (not glossy) and then finish with a spray can of artists lacquer, again non-gloss.

The cheap acrylics are worthless; go to an art supply store.

Joe

There is an exultant site; Marley Turned.com.

I realize this probably is too late, but it is super as it shows all details for cutting the mouth, painting, etc... Try this for your next nc.....

thank you, i think someone put a link to that one.... have watched several times!
Unfortunately I'm not gonna get it finished for christmas :(
I had too many other presents to turn that really couldn't wait... I'm sure the other half will understand if it's a bit late.

Blackhorse....book came yesterday... got some good details thank you

Hey gang,

I am pretty much finished now. Hopefully will get some pics tomorrow.

Melinda, I hope the book was worth it.

Joe (Blackhorse)

Here it is. Not a great picture, but...
He has a sword and scabbard as well.

Nutcr1.jpg

Attachments

• Nutcr1.jpg
    Nutcr1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 926
Back