Nuisance telephone calls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know we have all had these but I wonder if people are aware of this one? The telephone rings and when you answer there's no one there, the line goes dead affer a few seconds. This is repeated 4 or 5 times in one day, then you get a call from someone claimimg to be from the Telephone Preference Service (in a foreign accent and with appalling English -hmm, suspicious) and they know your name, address etc which they ask you to confirm of course (sounds official that way). Then there is the offer to stop nuisance calls for you, for a fee.

The number we have had trouble with is 02030 191569, although sometimes the number is withheld but I suspect it is the same callers.

K

Interesting.

Just for the record, using the Telephone Preference Service is free. At least, it was when I registered. It's not perfect, but it does cut out a lot of the rubbish.

A 'phone with "Call Guardian" stops all calls that are not in your personal 'phone book, forcing anybody else who wants to get through to deliberately key in an access request and announce themselves before the 'phone rings through.
Does require Caller ID to be actuated on your 'phone line.

Since having such we have not had an unwanted call or the need to add a number to a blocked list.

I have an easy cure for them..... a small football airhorn, if I answer and its some foreigner claiming to be from my bank etc or other waste of space they just get a quick blast of the horn..... they are usually wearing earpieces in their call centres so get an headache instead of my time and bank details.

Claymore":14bwqwjg said:
I have an easy cure for them..... a small football airhorn, if I answer and its some foreigner claiming to be from my bank etc or other waste of space they just get a quick blast of the horn..... they are usually wearing earpieces in their call centres so get an headache instead of my time and bank details.

I had a whistle by the phone but since recently having a few problems with BT which necessitated turning off my call ID for a couple of days we've been inundated with automated pre-recorded calls about no claim no fee stuff. Some from land line / mobile and a few international. As I regularly receive calls from numbers not in my phone book which I need to answer I can't use Call Guardian..... And of course the whistle is about as much use as a chocolate teapot! :lol:

With Call guardian As long as the callers 'announce' who they are when they call they will still get through, it's up to you whether you accept the 'announced' call, add it to your 'OK' numbers or reject and block it in future. ( just press the appropriate button or recall your call list later and review as whether to add to OK list later)

I saw something today which suggested answering the phone with "Hello, you're live on the air with Radio London"...in a jovial radio DJ way.

"I got to talk quietly, I think someone's in the house.....SCREAM" and hang up.

Pete

Roughcut":1ho5z36l said:
02030 is from India.
Seems other people are also having problems being called from the same number:
https://www.tellows.co.uk/num/02030191569

Umm 0203 xxxxxxxx is a London number?

Used to be 0207 and 0208 but they ran out and added 0203

Not that it makes any difference to the issue.

Register with the telephone preference service and you'll see a big drop in calls after about a month.

DiscoStu":c53i5o53 said:
Register with the telephone preference service and you'll see a big drop in calls after about a month.

We are and have been registered for years, the 'phone still blocks 4+ calls a day that ignore the TPS system.

We have been registered with TPS for years too, but these calls keep on coming. One caller told me he was entitled to make an unsolicited call because he wasn't selling anything, just offering information about a service and is not therefore breaching the terms of TPS guidelines. He didn't get a polite reply!!

K

I just mess with them now, had a lovely conversation last week with a young girl enquiring about my 'recent accident'. I thanked her for her concern and told her it was a dreadful accident, all sorts of carnage and how I had sadly died at the scene. Three times I told her I had died before the penny finally dropped.

Anyone asking for my bank details over the phone automatically gets the main account for the Bank of England or HMRC

I like the 'live on radio' tactic

Tried TPS but worse than useless, I have Call Guardian but its more trouble than its worth, lots of my colleagues have to have their mobiles on withhold due to the industry we are in so it constantly stops them getting through.

graduate_owner":spt6oruj said:
We have been registered with TPS for years too, but these calls keep on coming. One caller told me he was entitled to make an unsolicited call because he wasn't selling anything, just offering information about a service and is not therefore breaching the terms of TPS guidelines. He didn't get a polite reply!!

K

We use TPS and it has been very effective. With you situation all you have to do is ask for it the company name and address and they soon stop the call.

I just answer them and stay silent until they hang up - leave the phone on the side etc. They gabble for a bit until the first question on their script and then start going "hello ... hello ... hello?" click brrr.

Quite satisfying and after a while the calls peter out, until the next round of some scabby website selling on my contact details I assume.

CHJ":ttbbvhr9 said:
A 'phone with "Call Guardian" stops all calls that are not in your personal 'phone book, forcing anybody else who wants to get through to deliberately key in an access request and announce themselves before the 'phone rings through.
Does require Caller ID to be actuated on your 'phone line.

Since having such we have not had an unwanted call or the need to add a number to a blocked list.

+1 for Call Guardian.

We were getting about 3 or 4 calls every day from all sorts of cold call salesmen etc. We bought a BT8600 phone with Call Guardian, and have not had any problems since. All "withheld" calls have to go through the Guardian system, but doctors, hospitals etc are getting used to this as more and more people take up Call Guardian to stop nuiscance calls. It really does work.

Fatboy":3npuh6s4 said:
I just mess with them now, had a lovely conversation last week with a young girl enquiring about my 'recent accident'. I thanked her for her concern and told her it was a dreadful accident, all sorts of carnage and how I had sadly died at the scene. Three times I told her I had died before the penny finally dropped.

Anyone asking for my bank details over the phone automatically gets the main account for the Bank of England or HMRC

I like the 'live on radio' tactic

Tried TPS but worse than useless, I have Call Guardian but its more trouble than its worth, lots of my colleagues have to have their mobiles on withhold due to the industry we are in so it constantly stops them getting through.

I like you!

I had a phone call from a very nice Indian lady who was asking if I wanted to hear about claiming for PPI. I was on my PC at the time so when she asked if I wanted to hear more I was delighted to - I then put the phone down so she could hear me tapping away while I wrote...

...after about 3 or 4 minutes of talking I heard her little voice asking from the phone if this would interest me, to which I was more than happy to - after all, it was only to benefit me right? ... so I put the phone down again by my keyboard.

Eventually after about 8-10 minutes in total, she started to ask me if I had a mortgage, credit card, loan etc - all to which I answered no - she was so p*ssed off she shouted at me for wasting her time and then hung up!

...shame as I was quite enjoying the whole experience!

;)

Latest posts

Back