nova 3000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druster

Established Member
Reaction score
:?
hi there, has anyone used this lathe, have any advice is it a good second hand buy?
also looking at a Hegner HDB200XL, what do you guys think?
just so you know this is for large bowl turning and hollow form work.
cheers
Dru

HI

I have turned on a 3000 and it is a very nice lathe and capable of large work, the only problem I found with it for that type of work is it doesnt have Electronic Variable Speed (EVS).

I brought a Hegner secondhand about 6 months ago and love it and would highly recomend it. The only problem I have with mine is when turning large bowls etc I find I stall or reduce the speed of it fairly easily.

Newer lathes have 3 pulleys but mine only has two, this upgrade solves that problem.

If you go for the Hegner make sure it is the 1hp version with 3 pulleys, if it only has 2 pulleys Hegner sell an upgrade kit for £95 plus p&p, which is on my (early) christmas list. :wink:

john

I am looking at the nova on ebay it says it has a speed genie variable speed controller, currently at £550 is this a good buy do you think?

Mornin' druster, I have owned a Nova 3000 from when they where first imported into this country.

The reason I purchased it was at the time it was the only lathe which had 8 speed pulleys, turned 16 inches over the bed, and with a bed extension could take 42 inches between centers. It came with a 1hp motor and has never let me down once.

Halfway through my ownership I converted it to VS using a 3ph 1hp motor using the existing pulleys. It is now such a good lathe for the work I do that although I occasionally drool :wink: over the newer lathes on the market they do no more than my 3000, so I've still got it.

One problem I have found is that as it is such a robust piece of machinery I have occasionally put too big a piece of unbalanced wood on it and wished the lathe was a bit heavier. That problem was solved by the conversion to VS I can now start slow and build up the speed gently and keep vibration to minimum.

Looking at the ebay lathe, cost of a new 3000 is about £750 + whatever the extra bed extension costs, I don't think you'll get much change out of a £100. Speed Genie speed control just over £300 to fit. In my estimation it is a good buy, but watch the price if it goes up.

Also a friend of mine bought a genie kit years ago and after I had a look inside it, it was the basis I used to manufacture my own. They use a conventional 1ph to 3ph converter which any one can buy. I decided to go this route as at the time another friend was using a Myford VS machine and was having a bit of grief with the electronics. He had to keep sending it back for repair.

So assuming Speed Genie are still building with these units IF it ever goes wrong all you need to do is buy another converter, they cost between £100 - £120 depending where you buy them.

Good luck with your choice!

jpt":3npp8y4l said:
HI

I have turned on a 3000 and it is a very nice lathe and capable of large work, the only problem I found with it for that type of work is it doesnt have Electronic Variable Speed (EVS).

I brought a Hegner secondhand about 6 months ago and love it and would highly recomend it. The only problem I have with mine is when turning large bowls etc I find I stall or reduce the speed of it fairly easily.

Newer lathes have 3 pulleys but mine only has two, this upgrade solves that problem.

If you go for the Hegner make sure it is the 1hp version with 3 pulleys, if it only has 2 pulleys Hegner sell an upgrade kit for £95 plus p&p, which is on my (early) christmas list. :wink:

john

Hi , did you buy the lathe from Dennis in Rainham Essex ? :wink:

Cheers for the link Graham, they are still using the same converters. =D>

You can get them cheaper than their prices!

well I got it for 550, now I need a good chuck for bowl turning, any recommendations?

How about the new Robert Sorby "Patriot" chuck ?

Or good chucks that you may be able to find second-hand also - Axminster,VersaChuck or SuperNova all get favourable reviews.

Andrew

PowerTool":3kizgfmm said:
How about the new Robert Sorby "Patriot" chuck ?
Andrew

I had a good look at this chuck at the Yandles show - like most Sorby gear it appeared very well made and good quality. However, unlike all the other Sorby gear it seemed remarkably good value. Around £120 if I remember, although this may have been a show special price.

Regards

Gary

I think I'm right in saying that the Patriot is a copy of the Supanova which Sorby used to retail (Record do now) The man at Yandles says that all the jaws for supanova fit the patriot.

Pete

Hi again druster, well done, and rest assured you have a good lathe there.

Most of the self centering wood chucks mentioned above are pretty good quality. The main thing is to buy a chuck on which the thread form can be changed to fit another lathe spindle if ever you change to another lathe, and make sure there is a good choice of jaw sets for same. They are not cheap but as you move on in turning you can buy the odd extra set as needed.

thanks for the advice guys,
I may take a shot at the patriot, I see many mentions of yandles and have looked them up and they are about half an hour from me so may have a look in there.
Cheers TEP always like to hear from someone who has actually used a machine.
I'll have to start posting some examples once I've got myself set up, Like you all seem to say, it is a slippery slope, I have booked a couple of days lessons with a local turner, melvyn firmager, I'll post my results.
cheers,
Druster

Hi Druster, once you've been on the course I expect to see some 'hollow Sea Flower vessels' I believe that is one of Melvyn Firmager's party pieces.

Good luck!

Back