Nova 3000 extension bed wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently bought a secondhand Nova 3000, the original one NOT the DVR version.
One issue with it is that it doesn't have a great distance between centres. Does anyone have a spare extension bed they no longer need and would be willing to sell ?

I know that with some effort the newer DVR ones can be made to fit, but an original one would be my preferred choice as I'm not in a rush.

Also if there are any Nova 3000 owners here, I'd really like to know what arrangement of washers you use to mount the motor unit.
The owners manual is rather unhelpful about the arrangement of them, with the written instructions not matching the exploded parts diagram.

TIA

Hello there,

I have the same lathe and I could go on a bit, but I won't.
I think the washer you are referring to is the one on the pivoting shaft for the motor mounting plate. I believe that the washer is to take up the space of the red guard. I have put the washer in a few places and this seams to work best. I will say that there is very little wriggle room before something somewhere rubs.

The best thing about this lathe is the original stand that it came with, it is really very good. Christmas time I replaced the bearing for the second time in two years.

Hope you have more luck than me,

All the best
Jestyn

Thanks for the reply Jestyn.

Yes, it's the washer on the pivot shaft that puzzles me.
It's odd that there's no illustration of it in the parts diagram, but it is mentioned in the instructions themselves. Although the written instructions aren't a model of clarity.
The washer, or lack of it, must effect the alignment of the belt pulleys, so ought to be pretty important. Unfortunately access in the headstock is so cramped that it makes checking pulley alignment almost impossible.

I believe that the washer is to take up the space of the red guard.
The problem with that assumption is that it sits on the guard, not 'instead of'. I'm assuming that the washer is there to stop the motor mounting plate rubbing on the guard when changing speeds.
It's also curious that there isn't a matching washer on the other headstock stud. The whole motor mounting plate seems to be aligned on just the single bolt.
I will say that there is very little wriggle room before something somewhere rubs.
Indeed, but I've not found that an issue yet. Although there are signs a previous owner may have had this problem slightly.

Rhossyd,

After much chasing around and dead-ends, a few years ago I managed to get a bed extension from Robert Sorby - The original supplier of the Nova lathes in the UK.

No guarantee they have any left at all, but would be worth a punt, (even at £50 which is what it cost me, IIRC).

HTH

Greg

Hello,
Just to clarify, if you undo all the cross head screws holding the red guard in place, the guard can be slid upwards and out without disturbing the motor plate assemble . The story behind the suppliers in this country gets complicated. From my under standing, Sorby's were the original importers but unannounced over a weekend they changed to Record. This was many years ago. When I made enquires with record they were business like but I think really did not want to know. It also appears that Nova head office is now in the US not New Zealand. I got little joy there.
Jestyn

Clockie":3lojtpio said:
Just to clarify, if you undo all the cross head screws holding the red guard in place, the guard can be slid upwards and out without disturbing the motor plate assemble .
Yes, I've had it apart a couple of times now, I needed to take the motor off to transport it, but didn't take enough care to record where all the parts were before disassembly. That's assuming it was correctly assembled on my purchase.
The story behind the suppliers in this country gets complicated. From my under standing, Sorby's were the original importers but unannounced over a weekend they changed to Record. This was many years ago. When I made enquires with record they were business like but I think really did not want to know. It also appears that Nova head office is now in the US not New Zealand. I got little joy there.
So I've found out. It seems it's still a somewhat chaotic brand judging by the comments in Style &Bates latest catalogue.
I don't really hold any hope of getting old bits out of Sorby after so many years, although it's probably worth a phone call next week.

I'm finding there's a lot to like on the old 3000, but the electronics on the newer DVRs has scared me off them.

Latest posts

Back