Notebook or laptop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two terms seem to be used to mean the same thing. The small amount of info about the Acer makes it sound good and you can buy a 3 year warranty for just over £50. On the other hand it doesn't have a touch screen and it doesn't state if the touch pad is muti-touch. The only other thing to consider is that Dabs are only contactable on line, they do not have phone support. I've bought from them in the past and had no problems.

Misterfish

As misterfish says above, my understanding is that a notebook and laptop are the same thing. If you mean a netbook then it is one of those dinky little things that are much smaller than a laptop and less powerful as they are designed primarily for surfing the Internet.
Not a lot of info on the machine in your link and I am quite out of touch with specs these days so I couldn't really offer any intelligent advice about it, but the one thing that springs to mind for me is that it has Windows 8 installed. I am always very nervous of new Windows loads until they are tried and proven. Windows ME! Need I say more? lol

Personally I'd never buy one online a I like to check the quality of the display and the feel of the keyboard.
Also the one you link to doesn't say what the screen resolution is. I'd certainly never buy another netbook as the vertical resolution of the screen is just too low.

I think the name Laptop was changed to Notebook to stop people thinking that they could be set on your lap which can cause overheating by blocking the airways underneath, although I don't know how I know this.

Notebooks are smaller than laptops, a Notebook would be something like the Eee PC by Asus. 10" is a common size. They have smaller processors and run on an Atom chip rather than the more powerful i5 and i7 processor chips in laptops. Notebooks also often have very good battery life - like 8 hours.
Laptops generally start at 13" screen size and are more powerful.

The one you link to - I would look for an i7 processor in a laptop if you prefer a laptop, as these are the newer chips and are more powerful.

I had an Acer laptop and the battery life was poor. I don't know if they've improved any but Acer's are generally known for poor battery life.

The only thing I can think of that distinguishes a notebook from a laptop is the size, and one key reason it is that size is there is no CD\DVD drive.

Tablet???

UTMonkey":3f6l9sg7 said:
The only thing I can think of that distinguishes a notebook from a laptop is the size, and one key reason it is that size is there is no CD\DVD drive.

Tablet???

That's not the case. The innards are totally different in processing power and capability as I have already stated. The typical processor is an Atom chip which you won't find in bigger laptops.

Jensmith":3g0eiium said:
UTMonkey":3g0eiium said:

Tablet???

That's not the case. The innards are totally different in processing power and capability as I have already stated. The typical processor is an Atom chip which you won't find in bigger laptops.
I can guess you don't work for PC world. Lol

UTMonkey":a42feo8d said:
I can guess you don't work for PC world. Lol

Eh?
Do you?

My fiance is a software engineer and has had quite a few netbooks and I've picked up stuff from him. What's your point?

I mean you know far too much. :)

And for the record, I did say "I think" but I am perfectly happy to be corrected by someone who knows more.

Just need to find the right kind of people who I can impress by repeating what you just said.

....Nah

Ah, ok.

Well, I'm not professing to know all about them. Like everything in life, you pick up things along the way.
Wanted to answer the OP's question and not confuse him.

cambournepete":1jt7n5z6 said:
Jensmith":1jt7n5z6 said:
Notebooks are smaller than laptops...
I think you're describing netbooks rather than notebooks.
Notebooks may have been smaller than laptops once, but there's not much of a distinction now if any.

That's spot on.

Jen is right about the atom processor though and the machines are built to be very portable and normally nu Cd/DVD player. I think that netbooks will disappear with the popularity of ipads and similar devices which do a similar job but better. We took it to the USA but really could have managed with our iphones.

Out of interest, we currently have 1 netbook, a 3 year old Acer aspire one which we use purely for holidays. It's ok but slow compared to our laptops of which we have 2. My wifes a 15" Toshiba and mine same make 17" both a couple of years old now and pretty decent machines. (Guys need bigger laptops than gals :wink: )

The only advice I can give you Stew is.

1). I'd always go for one of the big names as usually support, parts and especially drivers are easily obtained (better still through dealers other than the maker at much cheaper prices). Many different branded parts are used in laptops even with the same manufacturer/model and you don't find out until it goes wrong. My first laptop was a Gateway which was bloody awful and absolutely no support available.

2). Go and look in PC World, Tesco, Fenwicks and John Lewis etc where you can play with the thing first. Then check the on-line prices. I bought both Toshibas from Tesco Direct who offered best price and free next day delivery. All except PC World will give you first class no quibble aftersales. From memory, I think John Lewis give a 2 year warranty as standard and sometimes 3 but you'd need to check that.

3. Don't worry too much about the spec. Get the best within your budget but looking at your intended uses, you'll find that whatever currently on the market will have more than enough capacity for your needs. You'll only use a small % of it's capability.

4. I agree with Bodge - No way would I contemplate being a guinea pig for Bill Gates. I won't be entertaining Win 8 until they have released at least 2 bug fix packages - oops, I mean "service packs".

If you want to talk computers Stew, give me a bell or call round for a coffee and a chinwag

Bob

I posted links to 3 cracking laptops in your previous thread & all were under £300. In fact a friend thought the Fujitsu was such good value that he bought one & I spent yesterday afternoon setting up the wireless on his ancient router ... but that's another story.

Netbooks

Netbooks running Windows 7 can have a maximum screen size of only 10.2". Any bigger and it's classed as a notebook/laptop and is therefore not eligible for the cut-price Windows licence. That will probably put most manufacturers off from making mainstream machines bigger than 10.2"

Key Specs XP/Vista
Screensize - 12.1"
Memory - 1GB
Hard Drive - 160GB
or a SDD - 32GB
Graphics - DX9
CPU One core 1GHz

Key Specs Win 7 Starter/Home Basic (Note: Not Home Premium or better)
Screensize - 10.2"
Memory - 1GB
Hard Drive - 250GB
or a SDD - 64GB
Graphics - No limit
CPU One core 2GHz

- http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/22/micr ... oks-specs/

Regards
Robbo

^^ Those specs ^^ are from May 2009, so are well off from a storage point of view (e.g. 32 Gb SSD) and possibly from other aspects too.

I think the term 'laptop' was originally used to make the distinction between early 'luggable' portable computers, then as things became smaller they we referred to as 'notebooks'. These days the terms are pretty much interchangeable - at least, amongst the public.

Netbooks were/are lightweight 'sub-notebook' machines that were very popular ink the Far East, and introduced to the west in late 2007 - Asus' EeePC was the first, I think, certainly the first one I remember. They typically had more limited connectivity (e.g. no video out) and often had no optical drive, but offered good battery life in comparison to laptops of the time.

I wouldn't want to use a netbook as my main machine, but I've run my business from a laptop/notebook for the last dozen years or so without any problems at all.

HTH Pete

Back