Not quite a woodwork based question but reasonably near.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victorthesecond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've volunteered (weak moment) to make some small boxes for my golf club. The boxes will be placed on the ground on each tee, and will be used for golfers to throw away any broken tees. This avoids a) a mess b) plastic tees being trodden into the ground and lying there for, well, ever and ever and b) any plastic tees being picked up by greenkeeping machinery. (There is a whole bigger agenda around plastic tees (basically, please don't use them) but that is another story...

Anyway, I've designed the boxes and will use staples to attach mesh to the bottom of each box. The mesh allows drainage. The boxes will be painted before the mesh is attached.

My question is, how can I best inhibit the staples becoming rusty? There are plenty of rust inhibitors on the market, but I wondered if any of you had used them and/or had any reccomendations or, indeed, any other suggestions?

Just as an aside....I'm using heat resistant teflon grill mesh that is usually used on a BBQ. That is preferrable to metal mesh which, I think, would rust quickly and become unattractive very fast.

Thanks for any replies!

Back