Not a good day!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Just having a rant here really so forgive me. I have been fitting some wortops today and it has taken all day to cut one joint and two cutouts. I did have to remove the old worktops and fit a couple of flexys to the pipes. But even so if it hadn't been for the walls being so far out of whack I would have got on much better. I have had to scribe both worktops into the walls and cut the joint for an out of square corner. The walls looked like a donkeys hind leg and the house is a new build! I should have known it was going to be one of those days when I cut the first joint wrong! I cut the female joint at 600mm and the tops were actually 616mm Luckily I spotted my mistake before cutting the other one but it did mean I had to shorted the top a little. Again this was lucky it was an end run so there was enough to play with. Anyway I am back there tomorrow to fit the other side and a breakfast bar so hopefully a new day should be better. I think I may have to make the splashbacks out of rubber though to fit the walls! Thanks for listening to my rantings guys, at least I have got it off my chest and it does help. :cry:

I hate those type of jobs as well and new builds, you would assume would have decent walls. You can expect it with an older house to some extent and people usually expect to have a longer job on older walls but new builds should be better...

I personally hate really out of square head rails on door liners and once again you expect it with older houses where they have settled but no excuse in new builds.

Just adding to your rants...

Marky

Finally got it finished! Didn't look too bad once it was finished too. Had a panic attack when it came to fit the taps into the granite sink as you have to punch out the holes with a chisel or metal punch! They did pop out pretty clean though so I could breathe again. phew! Customer was happy with it and that is what counts in the end. Now just an easy staircase next :shock:

Oh nothing fancy just a straight staircase. I am just fitting new newels, handrails and spindles. I did a landing one last week and it went well. I too like these although I have never built a full staircase, I would like to have a go though. :)

They are a real brain teaser if you dont do them all the time . I get about 1 a year and have to mock up an area in the workshop to actually build it .I dont think id be able to build it on the bench and keep my brain from frying :shock:

we have an old joiner near to us. Last year he made 1 staircase. That was it. Just 1 staircase in the whole year.... solid Oak supplied and fitted for nearly £50,000 :shock: :shock: :shock: it had winders and a curved rail. looked absolultey fantastic. Mind you for that money it should do!

I dont touch them, I farm them out to another joiner nearby who makes about 10 a year. I really strugle trying to work out the rise and going etc, it fries my brain too :D

mark

The rise and going are in the regs so you cant really go wrong 8-[ ok you can :lol: I find building a level area in the workshop ( a mock up of the walls and floors) makes it easier and for the few quid it costs its worth hours of head scratching . This way i can actually put the strings in place and mark it all out . Take the next one on , its great to walk up one you have made :wink:

Back