Norm on Discovery Shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
I know alot of you love this guy but I have just watched about ten minutes of the programme and there is no way I could work without guards on my machines the way he does :shock: :shock:

Deep ripping on a circular with no crown guard or riving knife :shock: :shock:

I'm sorry but i really cannot stand that chap!!! (hammer)

I will now duck or hide behind the sofa to avoid the incoming flack I'm bound to receive from the Norm fan club :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Agree one hindered percent, he is a danger to himself and all those who emulate him. I don't think much to his work either, it seams it's all machined without any real hand work at all, and the way he sticks 'brads' into everything just screams bad joints to me.

:shock: He's my hero! :lol: I have to agree with you both on his methods but he has started a lot of woodworkers onto the slippery slope, me included. My gripe with him is why oh why does he stain everything so dark! :roll: Got to admit though I am not a hand tool fanatic, if it hasn't got a plug I'm not interested. :lol:

I quite enjoy watching anything woody but the one episode that but me off norm was one where he hung a door and to mortise for the lock he used a jig that held a router while connected to the door, to operate the jig you simply turn a handle and this jig moved up and down and also automatically plunged the router further into the door.

Nobody that uses such a lazy silly person proof device can call them selfs a master craftsmen. There is no skill or craft in clamping metal to a door and cranking a handle.

The jig was that silly person proof once it reached the depth required turning the handle the same direction (not in reverse) will then retract the router.

Watching the New Yankee Workshop when I was younger was my first experience of woodworking so I'll give him that, though his practices do leave a lot to be desired!

Hudson Carpentry":3rjz2zvo said:
I quite enjoy watching anything woody but the one episode that but me off norm was one where he hung a door and to mortise for the lock he used a jig that held a router while connected to the door, to operate the jig you simply turn a handle and this jig moved up and down and also automatically plunged the router further into the door.

Nobody that uses such a lazy silly person proof device can call them selfs a master craftsmen. There is no skill or craft in clamping metal to a door and cranking a handle.

The jig was that silly person proof once it reached the depth required turning the handle the same direction (not in reverse) will then retract the router.

Maybe there's a reason he requires 'silly person-proof' jigs. 8)
Well I suppose anyone who makes as much money out of woodworking as he must have done, is not a complete silly person, but as Blister says, there's probably a few bits missing. :wink:

I'm going to get berated for this, but can I be the one that sticks up for him??
As a beginner, I like watching the processes that you pro's do day in day out as 2nd nature. Deciding what joints to use, what tools, what material etc. to me decisions like that are mind boggling so Norm gives me good ideas, things I can recall in the future.
I totally agree with you regarding guards etc, but I'm the type of person who reads and researches a lot so am fortunate enough to recognise the dangers, I appreciate that not everyone is like that and could copy Norm.

I watched the same episode where he morticed that door with a jig and putting that to one side, it was a gorgeous well made door, that us beginners can only dream of making.
I think if u take the program as being aimed at non pro's, it's a good starting point for design and basic things like brads, glue, clamping etc
Just watching any program about wood, though few and far between, can give newbies inspiration and tips.

As for the dark stain, Anericans love or certainly used to when I spent lots of time over there, that kind of furniture. Mahogany everything!! Not our choice perhaps but the program was made for the American market originally.

Remember everyone there's no more important safety rule than to where these safety glasses..... Except for looking both ways when crossing the road, not putting your fingers in a spinning blade and not firing a nail gun into your head!!

I find it watchable. I couldnt sit and watch it whilst doing nothing else, but if I am doing something on the laptop and it is on, it is entertaining enough. I dont like must of the furniture, and as stated, the safety aspects leave a lot to be desired. I also dislike the creepy bit where he goes to visit a museum. It is aimed at the general public though, and I wonder if episode after episode of somebody hand cutting dovetails would firstly make people think, "I couldnt do that" and so not buy the plans, and secondly wouldnt make exciting television for the relatively mass market. Much the say as The Salvager. It is interesting enough to watch, I wouldnt want any of his furniture, and some of the safety aspects are questionable. I do prefer Rico to Norm, and at least he encourages you to look at salvaged materials and look at what could be done with them.

That said, the Roy Underhill's show, and Tommy MacDonalds "Roughcut" show I think are much better, and are probably more akin to the interests of this forum. They mix tips with showing you the key points, without showing you every last single mallet blow!

I think it's easy to forget (or ignore?) the fact that it's a TV show for hobby woodworkers that ran for something like 20-odd years. When you make any kind of instructional video you often have to remove safety devices just to show what's happening; I haven't seen many of the Norm videos (I do this stuff for a living, why would I want to watch it on TV?) but I'm pretty sure the later series had a "safety devices removed for filming" warning. Anyway, they're Americans - they've never had the whole 'elfin-safety' culture forced on them; maybe some lawyer argued that a riving knife (or a 'splitter') was anti-constitutional <shrug>

As for complaining about swanky 'silly person-proof' jigs that do it all for you - yeah, I'm sure NYW is the only TV show to *ever* showcase some obscure or new-to-the-market gadget to fill a few minutes of airtime, lol! :lol: I haven't seen the jig in question, but if hanging doors and fitting locks is a decent chunk of your business, then it sounds great; I put off buying the Souber DBB lock morticer for a long, long time, but having picked one up last year it makes possibly the dullest job in woodworking marginally more interesting, and a zillion times faster. Highly recommended!

I'm by no means a Norm fan, but if he upsets you so much, don't watch; I don't…

Pete

[edited for spelling]

petermillard":2njg14qj said:
I'm by no means a Norm fan, but if he upsets you so much, don't watch; I don't…

Pete

[edited for spelling]

Pete,

Neither do I any more. Unless I spot something that might give me a design idea that I could use. In that case I'd watch or read anything woodwork related. Even Kreg jig tutorials! .

:wink:

Hudson Carpentry":1xehyor6 said:

To be fair to Norm he was asked to make the New Yankee Workshop that way. When the series was started there were already other shows (Roy Underhill etc) that covered more traditional techniques. The whole point of the show was to put a modern twist on it.

Norm (partly) was my inspiration to get into woodworking. Although I use hand tools almost exclusively, New Yankee Workshop planted the seed.

Wasn't calling him an silly person but anyone that uses such a jig (thats silly person proof) to hang one door isn't crediting there MASTER CRAFTSMAN title. That jig would cost far to much money for any hobbyist to consider buying. Its a tool for a joiner thats on site hanging door after door. For one door just setting up the jig to the sizes of the lock and fitting to the door I bet I could have half if not more of the lock done. To suit the hobbyist viewers he should have used one of the less expensive jigs you place on the door then run your router with guide bush on around.

I like watching the show (well used to) and have seen no end and got inspiration and even tips from him but as someone said watching someone cut dovetail joints constantly would get boring, well watching norm cut dados and fire brads gets just as boring. I still watch it if its on and there is nothing else but ill normally be on a laptop at the same time.

Roy Underhill rings a bell but I can't think what in. I quite like one that I can't spell is name and tring to google only brought this which may interest some http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2006/0 ... g-channel/

To spell his last name how it sounds (the guy I like watching) Pitzgelroud. I quite like The Salvager and some of the furniture.

I think that Roy Underhill's is the woodwright shop. It is on PBS I think, but I wasnt sure enough of the title to catagorically state its name in the post!

Roy's program is The Woodwright's Shop. He's also published a number of books that give basic instruction in many techniques using handtools. They're pretty good--I got my start in woodworking using his books to teach myself. The rap on Roy is that he can't make it through an episode without having a bandage someplace, so it's good that he sticks to hand tools.:)

I find Tommy McDonald's show to be almost unwatchable, but not due to the techniques or projects. The guy is so darn frantic that his on-screen image is blurry. I keep thinking he starts his day with 2 gallons of coffee and a dozen donuts. I've met him at a local woodworking show, and he's just the same in person.

Norm started off about 30 years ago as a carpenter on a show called "This Old House". It was a house rebuilding show, and Norm was the one who really knew how to rehab buildings, unlike the host (Bob Vila) who like to think he was working. Norm was always calm, confidant, and getting the job done. Norm did some furniture in a home shop, and the producer of TOH wanted to start a wood shop show, so he hired Norm. Over the 20 years that NYW was on, Norm got a lot better at woodworking. Of course, the NYW shop got a lot better too as sponsors donated equipment, but I think Norm had that d*mn brad gun from beginning to end.:)

Kirk

I really like Tommy MacDonald once I got used to his style. He covers a range of projects from a tray to the incredible bombe secretary. He also shows his mistakes and how he overcomes them which most of us can relate to!

Well (at risk of offending fellow sawdust makers 'cross the Pond. ), they're Americans are'nt they, and have been deviating off course since 1783... :)

Actually Norm was a good inspiration, and not having the well laid out shop and on tap power tools he does, sets you thinking now how would I achieve the same result with my small Router, drill, and a few hand tools....
His programs on the Router were quite good...
..but as for covering EVERY project in plastic polyurthwasistuff.... #-o

Do wish Shed wouldnt import stuff, I mean a whole series, just on Decking... :roll: :roll:
what's next?, Wooden timber telegraph poles of the mid south West....

SteveB43":2fhqupgv said:
Do wish Shed wouldnt import stuff, I mean a whole series, just on Decking...
what's next?, Wooden timber telegraph poles of the mid south West....
I quite enjoyed watching the decking programme last night :oops: though the birdmouth joints for the rafters of the summerhouse were appalling! The presenter is also a bit too hyperactive for me...

Mark

Back