Non aligned jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Not mine, my chuck!!
I changed the jaws on my Supernova for some 20mm ones to do some small stuff. No problem. When it came to putting the 50mm back I found that I couldn't get them to meet. I put them on loose and then close the chuck up before tightening but they don't meet properly in the centre. According to the manual they should be numbered. The bit they screw on to is but not the jaws themselves. Any one had this problem and if so how do I sort it please? (hammer)

Pete

Pete, due to the fit tolerances on the jaw/carrier interface of the nova, I do not think the marking of the jaws would be any significance as long as you do what you are doing and close them before final tightening.

As to why they are not meeting up is a mystery, the jaws cannot move out of register on the scroll in the nova because they are captive to prevent over extension. Is there any debris in the centre of the chuck or scroll plate stopping a jaw from moving fully in?

if you removed the jaw carriers completely you have to insert them in sequence.Remove the carriers again and look into the scroll part of the chuck as you turn the tightening handle. You should see the leading point of the scroll. Line the leading point up just before it crosses the slot for one set of your jaws. Look at the inner teeth on the carriers, you shoukd be able to determine no 1 by the position of the "Teeth"(The one with the first tooth is no 1) Slide the first jaw carrier in and turn the handle just enough to lock that carrier in. Continue to the next slot and repeat until all the carriers are seated. Make sure each set is engaged and you should find your problem is solved.

Pete.
On my SN mine are numbered with tiny little dots,punched into the back of the jaws,1-4.Take a look at yours.
Hope this helps.
Paul.J.

I had this problem once when I put the jaws on in the wrong places. Mine have numbers on the back of each jaw that coincide with the ones on the jaw slides, so I took off the jaws and put them on in the correct places - this fixed the problem. If yours don't have the numbers then it may be down to systematically trying them in the various permutations.

Also check that there is no build up of dust/grease on the backs of the jaws and the tops of the slides.

Whilst we're talking of chuck jaws - does anyone else have the habit of picking up the jaws at random when fitting them and trying to get them in the correct sequence? Maybe I should just get out a bit more :) Should have said - over the last 2 or 3 years changing the jaws at least once a week I've never managed to pick them in the correct order.

Duncan

When i bought the SN chuck,which is my first the instructions do say align with corresponding numbers.
I could clearly see the numbers on the chuck itself,but not on the jaws,so i just put them on any old way,and they didn't line up.
So read the instruction again,looked at the jaws for numbers than spotted the the tiny punch marks on the back 1-4,and that was that lined up a treat.
I'd have thought with such a precise piece of engineering the jaws would have fitted any way. :roll:
Paul.J.

Like you Paul I just put them any old how as I couldn't see numbers on the jaws. I must have struck lucky as they fitted perfectly. Same with the 20mm ones. Must check more carefully in future. My worm screw doesn't hold properly at present and trying to centre a piece is awkward.

Pete

Bodrighy":e8271lwn said:
...snip.. My worm screw doesn't hold properly at present and trying to centre a piece is awkward.
Pete

As the worm screw is held/centred by the carriers and only retained by the jaw there is a clue somewhere as to what is wrong.

If nothing else is obvious just grip the screw in the carriers without the jaws fitted to see if it runs true. (DO NOT USE IN THIS STATE)

I must say on my Nova (original model) there was no significant difference in jaw location.

As has been stated if the carriers have been misplaced then that would throw them way out, but if the latest version is the same as my old one they cannot slip out of sequence at the outer end of travel.

Thanks Chas, it might be worth stripping it down and checking it. It never hurts to do that anyway and give it a thorough clean out.

Pete

Thanks Paul, took the jaws off my Supernova and sure enough....tiny litle dots on them. Put them back and voila they fit. Now why couldn't the stamp the number on them more clearly. Also got them on the 20mm jaws.

Pete

It would be useful if they stamped the number on the top or outer surfaces as well so that you could check the jaws without taking them off. I've been meaning to do this for a while but keep forgetting

Duncan

duncanh":1yof0zyx said:
It would be useful if they stamped the number on the top or outer surfaces as well so that you could check the jaws without taking them off. I've been meaning to do this for a while but keep forgetting

Duncan

Makes you wonder sometimes if the designers have ever been near a machine shop.

The axminster is the same, the carrier numbers are hidden when jaws are fitted, so much more convenient if they were on the peripheral edge.

If you inadvertently extend too far with something like cole jaws fitted it can be a pain making sure you are re-engaging the scroll in correct order. Must get round to stamping numbers on them.

Back