No7 up for critique!! - Now with more pics!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksteadyeddy

Established Member
Reaction score
A few pics of the latest pile of rust I've been busy on, this one was actually done for a tool restoration project on the course i'm currently doing, it ended up being a bit of a rush so yet again no work in progress pics i'm afraid :oops: sorry!

Anyway, whatever you think please let me know!

Cheers, edd

no7 1 by rocksteadyeddy1, on Flickr

The sole and sides were flattened with 120g down to 1200g and then given a good polish. Paint was then striped and repainted in the usual HTP.

no7 3 by rocksteadyeddy1, on Flickr

All the little bits were given a good rub down and then polished up, and new handles were made from maple and ABW, stripy! :lol:

no7 5 by rocksteadyeddy1, on Flickr

Many thanks for looking!

Edd.

You did that in a rush :shock:
Cant wait to see one you have taken your time over, very impressive

Allan

That is pretty amazing. How long did it take? Do you have any "Before" pix?

I have never heard of a tool restoration course, can you tell us more about it?

Hi, Edd

Very nice, like the racing stripe handles.

Pete

Will the go-faster stripe increase the speed with which flat timber is produced? I may need to paint some on mine... :)

Very nice.

Like Allen said if that is a quick job what can you do when you take your time!. I was inspired by your previous fettling with the htp finish but bottled out at the last minute and went for gloss black.

Craig

Hi all thanks for your many positive remarks! i'm sorry to say I somehow didn't manage to take any photos of it before I started, a bad trend I seem to have set myself, just get carried away and forget I suppose! :roll:

All in all I would say I have probably spent about 5 or 6 days, usual a few hours at a time (although its probably more!), to get it finished. The course I am doing is a city in guilds furniture making and the plane is just part of a hand tool restoration module we had to complete. The task set was probably to be a little more sympathetic and traditional but I was told I could repeat what I did with the other planes I had done and I don't mind the extra effort (I got the marks back for this today and I had a distinction! so I was pretty chuffed!!)

The striped handles came about partly from a picture of a plane I remember seeing somewhere with laminated handles and had been thinking of trying it someday and the fact that I had done a No4 with maple handles, and a No 51/2 with walnut and so I thought..... make a bit of an effort for the course, why not!

Thanks again, Edd

Do you have any pics of your plane Craig, nice to see so many people willing to take the time and effort to bring old rusty tools back to life!

edd

Well done Edd,
Trust me guys it looks even better in the flesh, thats one serious lump of metal to get that shiney!!
It puts my old crappy old record effort to shame which I only goy a credit/distinction because the cat sat on the one of the handles when the varnish was drying :oops:

Very nice. I like the two tone handles and paint job. Looks like a race car of the plane world.

Thats just gorgeous. Love the stripy handles - although I prefer a lower and fatter front handle than that. Love the paint job too - I like the amount of detail in the casting that shows through, normally it looks really "blobby" on Stanleys. Bravo :)

Edd, that is indeed BEAUTIFUL, well played :D Do you mind giving a quick run-through of the steps to get there please? As I have a couple of planes that needed tending to, and this has definitely inspired me to do something about it.

How do you go about treating the rust, and then what do you use to finsh the metal with? (If anything)

What do you use to strip the paint, and then what paint is applied?

Cheers and keep up the stirling work. _Dan.

How do we know thats not a new Record No7 repainted with new handles. These are the question you have to face without WIP pictures. Pics or it didn't happen.

(PS AMAZING PLANE)

Chems":2c34m3jk said:
How do we know thats not a new Record No7 repainted with new handles.

A new Record 7 doesn't have good enough materials to EVER look like that!

I can see the external cosmetics are excellent - what actions did you take on tuning up the adjuster slack, frog mating surfaces, blade etc?

BugBear

Very Very tasty - I think I prefer the all one wood handles but they're certainly eye catching as they are

and the shiney bits - wow

well done

There are only three words for that work and they are GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS and GORGEOUS!

I think the handles are absolutely stunning. I have loved laminated contrasting wood for ages on guitars and other work...but never thought of laminating it for handles...except my marking knife.

On the subject of tuning...I think this is worthy of a new iron of the thicker variety..a HOCK or LN perhaps?

Let's see some action pics in lieu of the missing WIP ones if you can...oh..and don't forget to do WIP next time...I'm sure we would all be interested judging by the immediate response!

Thanks for sharing...simply wonderful!

Jim

Hi Edd,

that is a fantstic work on the #7, but I like the #5 with the one wood handle even more! I really woud like to know the steps of painting and polishing. Nverer found a full instruction on this.

Cheers
Pedder

Latest posts

Back