No7 up for critique!! - Now with more pics!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is a big thank you to everyone for your kind comments and to let you know it makes me feel quite embarrassed for not taking more photos and doing ant sort of wip! :oops:, especially after promising that I would after the last one! :roll:

The guilt is so great that despite swearing that would be the last plane for a long time, there really is a lot of metal on a No7!, that I will do another (cross my heart!) with a full start to finish wip with lots of pics and all the processes I use!
i'm not promising another biggie but if I can pick up another No4, or ideally wouldn't mind a No3 (thats not just because its smaller :lol: ) and maybe even find something a bit special for the handles, then I will do another.

Chems":1fhk98hl said:
How do we know thats not a new Record No7 repainted with new handles. These are the question you have to face without WIP pictures. Pics or it didn't happen.

(PS AMAZING PLANE)

I think the bit where it says "stanley" on the front kinda puts a new record out...... but maybe your right it could be one of the new stanleys! :lol: :lol:

In the meantime for all of those who have asked about the paintwork, all I do is strip the old paint with nitromors, get the sole/sides 99% there and any shaping that needs doing on the body, coat it with a rust killer just before i'm ready to paint and then the htp just goes straight on with no primer (after masking up the sides and plugging any threads).

Jim i will endeavor to take some gratuitous shaving shots in the next few days and will keep you posted if she gets an upgrade to the blade, although that tends to be quite a few pennies!!

many, many thanks again, Edd.

SammieQ":2y0ekhth said:
Ahmm...I just know I'm going to regret this...what's "htp"?

Sam

techcote_matt_black.jpg

Jim

SammieQ":1nrk5u5j said:
And in case you missed the small print in jimi's picture - High Temperature Paint.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2mhair9n said:
SammieQ":2mhair9n said:
And in case you missed the small print in jimi's picture - High Temperature Paint.

Cheers, Vann.

Since very few people generate THAT much heat when planing - why "high temperature" paint?

BugBear

bugbear":5jd27prn said:
why "high temperature" paint?
I don't know. I haven't used it myself (yet). Maybe it can be baked on? But I think more likely it's just very hard wearing.

Cheers, Vann.

Not entirely sure myself as to the benefits of the high temp paint, I think I came about using it after reading about someone else having used it a while back. All I can say is that its quite hard waring and easy to apply and I like the finish it gives. I do tend to warm the plane a little before painting and after the last coat I cook it on a bit using my little fan heater (just sat pointing at the plane, just till its hot ish to the touch!).

Edd.

As promised (Jim! :wink: ) I gave it a quick test run earlier, and took a couple of pics. All in all more than happy with the initial performance.

I swapped out the original iron and back iron for the jap laminated blade and clifton back iron from the No51/2 as in use this is more than likely what I shall do until funds allow for any upgrade.

The only timber I had knocking around is this (not actually sure what it is but very simular to the sapele we been using at college, so something like that).
As with the sapele a bit of a pig to plane, but managed to get a nice flat smooth edge without too much trouble and the shavings came off in lovely curly ribbons.

timber by rocksteadyeddy1, on Flickr

A pick of the plane in its natural habitat!

no 7 in posey shot! by rocksteadyeddy1, on Flickr

Nice thin lacy ribbons of shavings!

shavings by rocksteadyeddy1, on Flickr

Anyway thanks again to everyone for your kind comments and I shall let you know when I find a candidate for the wip!

Incidently would people prefer me post as it goes or all in one when i've finished? (just a thought?)

Edd.

rocksteadyeddy":2hbs50p8 said:
Incidently would people prefer me post as it goes or all in one when i've finished?
jimi does his in instalments. That works for me.

I'm not sure if I like those handles on a traditional plane (hey, that's just me) but on anything else I'd think they were fantastic.

I like the idea of the Japaneese iron with the two-piece cap iron. Note to self - I must get a Jap iron one day.

Cheers, Vann.

I like it a lot; the laminated handles and highly polished finish are an interesting and creative take on a standard tool.

Vann":2mu5zzbw said:
I like the idea of the Japaneese iron with the two-piece cap iron. Note to self - I must get a Jap iron one day.

I love mine, they take a fantastic and long lasting edge. Hate the two piece Clifton back irons but they are one of those love 'em or hate 'em things.

Jim

Well done mate! Looks great. =D>

I personally would have preferred the handles to
be made from one wood only.

Ali

woodbloke":12v3jo1y said:
yetloh":12v3jo1y said:
Hate the two piece Clifton back irons
Jim
Definitely...+1 :evil: :evil: - Rob

Love 'em! Even an improvement on the SS which were great!

Judging by the premium that SS examples of Stanley planes command on FleaBay, I think others share that view. :wink:

Jim

Alf":99i6uugk said:
I'd pay a premium for a Stanley SS too. A Record SS, though, they're not so rare... ;)

(homer) Oops! Yes...Record ones!

I just got up ALF....forgive me I have the flu! (sobs!) and I have to work this afternoon too!

:cry:

Jim

Oh deary me. *hands across the virtual cold and flu remedy* I'd hand across the virtual tot instead, but as you're working...

Funnily enough I just found a Cliffie two-piece I didn't know I had. Within seconds of discovery, the nose dropped off and immediately lost itself in the shavings and I remembered why it had been banished.

Alf":1crqfj7j said:
Funnily enough I just found a Cliffie two-piece I didn't know I had. Within seconds of discovery, the nose dropped off and immediately lost itself in the shavings and I remembered why it had been banished.
That's because you don't use the correct technique #-o . Just send it to me, that'll put you out of your misery :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":33y7r8b4 said:
Alf":33y7r8b4 said:
That's because you don't use the correct technique #-o . Just send it to me, that'll put you out of your misery :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

The postage is cheaper to Kent - ALF! 8)

I will send my old one to Vann! :mrgreen:

Jim

Back