No wonder those new to Turning get confused.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst preparing to re-handle one of my Gouges, came across these little snippets of dimensional misguidance.
DSCN4694.JPG

Actual Bowl Gouge Sizing Example.

1. As Marked:- 3/8" = 9.5250mm not critical, 10mm near enough for a size guide.
2. Actual Flute max width:- 8mm.
3. Oft-quoted method of sizing:- side of Flute to opposite Bar Stock edge, 10.35mm.
4. Bar Stock Diameter 1/2" (12.7 mm) the only relevant dimension for the handle fit.

Attachments

• DSCN4694.JPG
    DSCN4694.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,505
Seems to me they are 0.35 mm out, how accurate do you want the measurements on a 'woodturning' tool to be?

Andy

andersonec":2uvtbmsa said:
Seems to me they are 0.35 mm out, how accurate do you want the measurements on a 'woodturning' tool to be?

Andy
But would someone in the UK new to turning expect, when buying a 10mm gouge on line from the average pricing list, expect the steel to be 1/2" diameter?

Sounds like my 10mm drill bit which in fact makes holes 10.5mm which doesn't work when using a screw chuck that is 10mm but needs a 9mm hole to bite into. Moral is measure everything if size is crucial.

Pete

When tool manufacturers buy in the bar for gouges sometimes they get imperial bar and sometimes they get metric bar so there are always going to be discrepancies.
Having said that is size really important :)

Mark Hancock":1euk76se said:
Having said that is size really important :)

Agreed in use not at all Mark, if it's the size and shape you want or are happy with, just that I know of someone who purchased a 1/2" gouge on-line and got a lump of steel that is little used because it's too big and cumbersome for the lathe they use.**

It just occurred to me that we all glibly refer to gouge sizes on recommended lists etc. with a longer time knowledge and know what we mean, without realising that a newbie may well not be aware of the significance of differing sizing standards between UK and other parts of the world when browsing magazines etc.

I checked my gouges,
1. 3/8" gouge weighs 295 gram.
2. 1/2" gouge from same stable 660 gram. (actually 19mm dia.) More than double the weight.

I wonder if this is why they don't manufacture so much machinery in the UK anymore , :shock: :shock: .
They got mixed up between "metric " and "Imperil " nothing would fit so they sent it off to China and Taiwan ,
and let them take the blame . :shock: :shock:

So the problem now is the poor old Asians have to try and make parts that will fit old brit machines and make new
machines that are better than the mixed up ones that were made in the UK .A no win situation .

Doesn't it depend on whether they are bowl gouges or spindle gouges? (Sorry if this has been covered, I didn't spot it!)

Bowl gouges are measured across the flute, so a half inch bowl gouge will be half an inch across the flute but made from 5/8ths stock

Whereas spindle gouges are measured according to the stock.

Pretty sure this has been industry practice for some time.

Kim, my understanding of the basic UK method of sizing a Bowl Gouge is as per the sketch.
gouge.jpg

Seems strange at first glance but I can perhaps see the relevance with the differing flute profiles between brands etc. which vary in width to depth proportions.

My 1/2" gouge has a top flute dimension of about 9.5mm I think, I'll check tomorrow.
Edit:- It's actually 8.5mm, so only 1/2mm wider than the much smaller 3/8 gouge.

Attachments

• gouge.jpg
    gouge.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,174
As Chas has shown for bowl gouges in the UK

Across the pond it's the diameter of the bar. So a UK 3/8 bowl gouge is a 1/2 US bowl gouge.

Spindle gouges are usually measured as the diameter of the bar. Just compare a 3/8 spindle gouge with a UK 3/8 bowl gouge and you'll see the difference.

Nothing beats seeing what you are buying but there aren't the number of hardware shops around so it's not always possible. However, if you are ordering on the net it would pay to ask for dimensions.
ps. I'm old enough to remember when the hardware shops had knowledgeable staff who could discuss your needs and the quality of various tools. Though I've found that most people who sell tools even on the internet do have some interest in them and are usually willing to answer questions.

Back