bowl gouge sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlpolly10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi could somebody clear up the confusion for me regarding bowl gouge sizes, ie are the sizes based on the bar stock or the width of the flute, i have a bowl gouge made from 1/2 bar stockstock with a measurement of 3/8 across the flutes, is this a 3/8 gouge or a 1/2 gouge, HELP.regards Karl

Depends on the manufactuers they all seem to measure differently, any ways does it reall matter as long as it holds it edge and does the job.

I have the crown one and i am thinking of doing some larger pieces of fresh cut blanks and would like something a bit sturdier for the job, i dont want to order a repeat size of what i already have.

Thanks for that ,read that postnad has the writer said i needed more than a drink of tea after. i have sent an email off to Ahley Ilses asking them that question will let you know what the reply is.

I have a crown cryo half inch bowl gouge.
The diameter of the bar stock is 16mm (near 5/8")
The 3/8" gouge is ground from 13mm bar.
I'd have said that this sizing is pretty universal. I've can't imagine one company selling a half inch gouge as a 3/8". They naturally sit at slightly different price points so labelling your stuff as a lower size compared to other brands makes you look overpriced and poorer value for money.
HTH

USA sizing = diameter of the bar
UK sizing = inside of flute on one side to out side of bar on the other side
Note: just measuring the diameter of the flute does not allow for the difference flute profiles i.e. U, V, parabolic etc.

Thanks all for your replys looks like i have the3/8 gouge, for more info i have had an answer in regards to Hamlets gouge the 1/2 gouge from them is on 5/8 bar stock, again many thanks it has been very helpfull to me. Regards Karl
Merry christmass and stay safe.

Dunno why I think spindle gouges are generally sized according to the original bar diameter and bowl gouges in general by the width of the flute but I believe there are some exceptions.

Back