No. 77 Saw Set Anvil Angle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_SAMa

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in search of a saw set that will put a very small amount of set (less than 0.2 mm per side) on saws 10 TPI and above. The older Eclipse with small hammers seems fine (the ones partially painted red). What is the angle of the anvil and striking face of the hammer? I imagine I'll need something as low as 15 degrees. I've been looking for a Stanley 42X but so far no luck...
Please, would any of you who own an old eclipse saw set measure the set angle?

Also, how do you get a small set on larger rip saws? I'm guessing hammer-anvil style set isn't an option as You'll need a super low angle for that...
Sam

One way to get less set on larger saws using the Eclipse or similar is just to 'dial down' the anvil to a lower tpi setting than the saw actually is. So for a 4 1/2 tpi saw, set the anvil to about 8 tpi, try setting a few teeth at the heel end of the saw, and see what it looks like.

I just looked over that thread from three years ago. Sam, I think it will answer your question!

And BB, you either have an excellent memory or excellent research skills.

No, scrub that, I think we all know you have both!

Is the angle on the older No. 77 different than on the newer ones? BB does that old thread talk about a newer one or older one?
Also about how long did it take to grind the anvil down to 13 degrees?

Cheshirechappie, isn't it bad to have too little of the teeth bent? I heard the set should start somewhere around half way up the teeth.

Sam

Latest posts

Back