No. 7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterBassett

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got an old Stanley No. 7 that has sat in a box in my garage since I bought it last year because I had no sharpening kit.

I have just properly prepared the blade.

Holy cow, what a fantastic tool. :D

I can see how these things become addictive :cry:

That is all.

Pete

Once you get to know your No.7 there is no going back...EVERYTHING gets flattened and jointed...

I can't imagine how nice a large Clifton or LN must be...but that will have to wait until I can justfy the spend...meanwhile my old Record is the way to go...

Post some pics of the fettling mate...we all love a good fettle on the way to the bottom of the slope (BTW I have it on good authority there ISN'T a bottom!)

Jim

Hi, Peter

7's are nice planes, but just wait till you get hold of a No8.

Pete

Racers":prfbzk3h said:
Hi, Peter

Pete

:roll:
That sounds like a "mines bigger than yours" gloat to me :wink:

Hi, Jim

Well if it is :wink:

I was just greasing the slope a little :wink:

Pete

It doesn't need any grease! It's quite slippery enough as it is, thanks! :lol:

The No7 is a american one, with the "key hole" shaped hole in the lever cap, which I believe means it's quite old.

It took the best part of an hour and a half to prep the blade and then I had all of five minutes to play before going in for the night but it just felt right immediatly.

I'll see if I can get some pics later.

Ah, maybe you can give me some advice too.

I was gang planing two pieces of scrap as a test before jointing some boards. It went fairly well, i got a nice gentel hollow in the middle by taking some extra cuts in the middle. When held up to the light I could see that the far right was touching and the middle was hollow but the place of contact on the left was an inch back from the edge.

The profile of each board was is shown exagerated in the image below.

planingprofile.png

I can only describe it as snipe. It makes sense because at that point the end of the plane has left the wood and the blade is the only thing there, thus it cuts deeper.

The question is, how do you get around it? Preferably in a foolproof way! Just take a few extra shavings in that position?

Thanks

Pete

Change your planing technique :)

As you move your body along, transfer pressure from the front handle to the rear. So you start the movement with the pressure on the front, in the middle the pressure should be even, and then transfer the pressure to the rear handle as you reach the end.

Cheers.

Racers":33gyt6hr said:
Hi, Peter

Pete

Yep... You have a whole 2" or so extra to play with, and .....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John :wink:

I wouldn't ignore the 6 in all of this :D 7's and 8's are great for edge straightening but I find a 5 a little on the small side for general work. My recently acquired QS6 is as nice compromise and with the benefit of bedrock design is now my preferred weapon for general bench work.

I tried my mate's No.8 but being a short-a*&ed pipper I kept falling over and I was frightened that if I pushed it too hard I would end up in Calais!

:D

I think I will stick to my No.7 for now...it suits me.

Jim

I may of finally got my hands on a No.7 bedrock stanley. I will get to see it tomorrow hopefully it is in good nick. What is a fair price for one? he says £45 will that be a good deal?

woodsworth":11qamwmm said:
I may of finally got my hands on a No.7 bedrock stanley. I will get to see it tomorrow hopefully it is in good nick. What is a fair price for one? he says £45 will that be a good deal?

I'll give you £60 for it once you buy it...Can't say fairer than that, can you?

:lol:

That was a genuine offer by the way.

hi peterbassett

yep i totally agree just trying to find out which it is , as you say its a good deal even if it's a stanley no 7 but an even better deal if it is a bedrock 607 , i've just paid £91 for bedrock 605 and it's an old dog , but will clean up ok for what i got in mind for it . hc

I haven't seen it yet unfortunately. But i need something to join guitar tops. He just said it was a bedrock and it was a No. 7 so all i can do is assume it is a No. 7.

So if it is a 607 how do i know? Stamped 607 i assume? I'll report back tomorrow on what it actually is.

I just let him know i was looking for a No. 7 and he happened to have one so lucky me. The No. 5 he had for sale, even though had a little surface rust, still had sharp corners. If it seen any wood i'd be surprised.

Back