Nick Westerman Bladed Marking Knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berncarpenter

Established Member
Reaction score
After getting some flak with my last marking knife , made from an old chisel i thought i would buy a blade for my next version.After talking with Denab at the Yandles show decided to make one that is similar to the Lie-Nielson . So bought a very nice hand forged blade from Nick and some babinga .
Had a look in my scrap bucket for some bezel material and the only thing i could find that would be ok was an old brass handle.

DSC_0387_zps2189d404.jpg

DSC_0388_zps1bb065f0.jpg

The hole wasnt in the centre though
DSC_0389_zpsfbabc890.jpg

Drilled a 9.5 hole through and used the drill bit as support to hold the brass steady
DSC_0392_zpsfb281e8a.jpg

Considering i used an old wood chisel to shape this up it came out ok after some sanding
DSC_0393_zpsf1288b06.jpg

DSC_0395_zps657265be.jpg

DSC_0400_zpsfcc9bebc.jpg

wanted the same shape as an old style cabinet screwdriver that i found to be comfortable to hold

DSC_0402_zpsc3f9434d.jpg

DSC_0403_zps06381a9e.jpg

DSC_0405_zps6e2ad72d.jpg

with the bezel on got the handle to the same diameter and burnished
DSC_0406_zpsd7263655.jpg

DSC_0409_zpse0e345ad.jpg

DSC_0411_zps84fb6354.jpg

wanted that nice oval shape so planed some flats and then set to it with the chisels and sand paper

DSC_0412_zpsfb703f9b.jpg

DSC_0413_zps2c8f1e93.jpg

waxed and polished with a mop
DSC_0414_zps41222ded.jpg

sharpened the tang of the blade cut a slot and drilled down into the handle a title and wacked it home
DSC_0420_zps7df80fe2.jpg

The advise on mounting the blade from Denab was to heat it up to red hot and just burn it into the handle , i didnt feel comfortable with that and thought it would maybe alter the temper of the blade .

Cheers Bern :D

Hi

I think a centre would have provided better support than the drill.

Nice bit of recycling =D>

Regards Mick

Good Lord. What a waste of a perfectly good old door handle. They can never be replaced you know.

Spindle":1094ooc5 said:
Hi

I think a centre would have provided better support than the drill.

Nice bit of recycling =D>

Regards Mick

Thanks Mick
still a bit green with turning and using what i have and not what should be used to get things done . I was chuffed when i managed to get the drill bit through without it catching and chucking it across the workshop ,so just left it there while i attacked it with an old chisel. I should mention i dont have a metal work lathe or tooling . I collect all the scrap from the jobs i do and weigh it in a couple of times a year , only had a limited supply to chose from as i weighed in for christmas .

Grahamshed":301eyj1t said:
Good Lord. What a waste of a perfectly good old door handle. They can never be replaced you know.
:lol: :lol:

I think that looks Stunning Bern, and if you do decide to make some for sale, I will be in the que for one =D> =D>

DannyEssex":1t9m1lgh said:
Grahamshed":1t9m1lgh said:
:lol: :lol:

I think that looks Stunning Bern, and if you do decide to make some for sale, I will be in the que for one =D> =D>

Thanks Danny
I dont know if i would make these to sell but i may enter the secret santa thing if it runs this year and give somebody a chance of owning a few of the things i make. The purpose for me making these tools is to try and find the best tools that suite me for hand dovetailing , its a bit of an experiment that i have really enjoyed . I would like to make my own dove tail saw but i havent got a clue how to do it yet.

Nice job looks a lovely well made tool ! I bet youll enjoy picking up and using that over a shop bought version 8)

kernowjoiner24":39l4s9oe said:
Nice job looks a lovely well made tool ! I bet youll enjoy picking up and using that over a shop bought version 8)

Thanks i have a David Baron knife which i like for delicate work but find the blade flexes and wanders on softwood and i am looking for something with a stiffer blade that maybe will perform better .

Love the things you make ....you should start a you tube channel (if you haven't already ) your pieces are very marketable also.

Steve

rspsteve":ryvycmze said:
Love the things you make ....you should start a you tube channel (if you haven't already ) your pieces are very marketable also.

Steve

Thanks Steve
No you tube channel but i would love to have a go at making a Frank Howorth type film that would be cool ,love his stuff.

Back