Nice white woods...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry

Established Member
Reaction score
As I tend to use exotics I have very limited knowledge of native woods. I'm looking for some nice white wood suitable for carving, it doesn't have to be native but it need to be a white as possible and available in nice sized lumps. I've used Holly & Hornbeam in the past - lovely woods to work with but I really need it to be a minimum (board) thickness of around 80 mm (preferably 100 mm) and I've never seen either of those in that thickness.... I've also used sycamore but I'm not too keen on it as I have a strong reaction to the dust and it can look a bit grey or yellow when finished.

All suggestions welcome!!

Thank you

How about Maple?

I don't know if it would be suitable for carving (maybe too hard?) as all I've ever carved is the Sunday roast, but it finishes beautifully and is pale in colour.

I'd have thought you could get Hornbeam in the size you want though? I've had some pretty big logs of it that I've used for turning.

myturn wrote
all I've ever carved is the Sunday roast, but it finishes beautifully and is pale in colour.

Sounds like Chicken?

Pete

As has been said, Lime is a good choice for carving.

It is available in the size you need, carves easily but hold good detail. The grain is even and tight and also it is pale (ish - a bit creamy compared to holly or pale syc but not bad).

Simon

Hi,

If your carvings don't require very fine detail, you can use chestnut or even oak, which I believe are readily available in France in the thicknesses you want. chestnut is softer and doesn't require as much muscle as oak.

Beech can also be used and it can hold fine detailing but since most of it is kiln dried it feels a little brittle and as such is very difficult to work against the grain and it will tear out easily. (yes, sometimes, when carving, there's no way around going against the grain).

Thanks for all the replies. I've used Lime but found it pretty dull TBH, I believe Ash has a coarse grain which wouldn't really work for what I need it for..... I'll have a go at Maple or try to find some nice thick hornbeam

Latest posts

Back