UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samfire

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi After weeks of deliberation I have taken the plunge and ordered a scroll saw. I know that a temporary adhesive is used to stick patterns to wood but can anybody be more specific?
I am based in the UK and look forward to joining in with the discussions.

Hi Samfire Welcome aboard to a very good site to gain knowledge for scroll sawing.When I started many years ago I wish that I could have had this facility.The way that I put the pattern on the wood may seem a little complicated but it works for me
I do a lot of inside cutting,I first wrap the wood in masking tape,then I put a double sided adhesive tape on top then put the pattern on,then I put clear adhesive tape all around the the project.When I have finished cutting out and take the wrapping off,the masking tape peels off the adhesive tape very easy,before I used the masking tape it used to take me a long time peeling off the adhesive tape.

Bryan

Hi.

I cover the wood with masking tape first, then stick the pattern down with (Pritt Stick), I actually use the equivalent from, Staples Office Supplies, as they sell in bumper packs, which has a lower cost per unit, the shelf life is good, kept in a cool dry place.

Using the masking tape first makes it very easy to remove the remaining pattern after cutting. :wink:

Take care.

Chris R.

I use this bad boy :D

I can get it locally wilcos sell it make sure its the prit stick power far cheaper easier and less messy and smelly than mount spray

if you are sanding your wood to a nice finish then just stick to the wood cut out on scroll saw and sand off (most of it will just peel off ) I don't bother with the masking tape if I am sanding the wood , I use pine a lot so I always sand to fine finish for oiling so putting masking tape on first would be a waste of my time and tape as the paper pattern whats left after peeling off just sands of in a few seconds. if you not sanding wood then masking tape first then stick pattern on cut out then peel off , simple.....

mark

Attachments

• P1070141 (640x480).jpg
    P1070141 (640x480).jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 966
double sided tape for doing 'stacked' cuts, stops any slipping between the pieces, bostik fast tak spray for attaching the pattern to the wood, clear tape over the top, the clear tape is to help lubricate the blade.

I've seen another method where a guy prints out his pattern in reverse on a laser printer, then attaches the pattern face down using masking tape around the edges, then uses some chemical liquid to transfer the pattern to the wood, I'm sure it's some kind of 'thinner' type stuff but he gets a reasonable image as if it's printed directly onto the wood itself, then just covers in clear tape and cuts.

I've had another thought recently but haven't tried it yet, so this is probably the ideal thread to mention it in. When making circuit boards, we sometimes use laser printers and an iron or a laminator, the pcb pattern is printed with a laser printer, held in place with tape on the back of the board, then we run an iron across the paper for a couple of minutes, or run the board + pattern through a laminator a few times, the result is that the toner is fused to the the board, we then soak the board to release the paper. It's not the cleanest method using straight printer paper, the transfer is always good but it does leave some paper behind that's easily removed with a toothbrush, so it probably wouldn't be appropriate for fancy wood but using other types of paper can yield very clean results, for instance, the poster who is using a4 labels to print out his patterns, the waxy backing paper that he throws away is very good for doing toner transfer, you get a very clean print and removal is a breeze, no paper stuck to the board. Apparently, there is no mess with removing the toner from a piece of wood once you've cut your pattern out, just a quick rub over with a fine grit will get rid of it nicely.

Back