Newbie, want to make a desk, what are my chances?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had some new M&S furniture delivered recently and found that my huge desk no longer fits. I can't find any matching desks and have always had a wish to get into furniture making one day.

I work as a web developer and although there's a lot of skill to my craft, my achievements are hidden in code, where as with wood working they're there for everyone to see, so this appeals to me a lot (possibly in the wrong job.. :s)

So anyway, I want to get started, I don't have many tools, I've worked as a builders mate doing some roofing etc but not much experience working with wood other than that and wood work at school!

This is the furniture that I've got:
http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/node/n/48802031

Id like to make a desk in the same style, I have a few ideas but id very much appreciate it if anyone could give me any tips on how to go about it, what tools I may need and how I can get the same finish?

Also what are my chances of creating a decent looking desk? I seem to be getting negative feedback from family members, but everyone has to start somewhere right?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

[edit]
Don't know what's wrong with the link, perhaps you have to have more posts to use links, but you can go to marks and spencers website and just put reece in the search box to see the furniture.
[/edit]

PS: This only needs to be a desk top that matches my other furniture, doesn't need drawers or cupboards etc.

I could just use metal table legs and spray them to match the drawers on the other units. This would also allow me to detach the legs and get the desk out of the door again if we move (rented house).

Bought a couple of books:

Collins Complete Woodworkers Manual
Ultimate Woodworking Course
Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Making

Furniture one is probably over my head but it doesn't hurt to have a look through.

Hi Matt, and welcome to the forum.
Our spam trap is what's stopping you posting images, it goes away after a few more posts

Your project is completely doable, go for it! Approached in the right way with regard to materials and methods you won't even need very much in the way of tools.
You'll get all the advice and encouragement you need right here, although from time to time there can be conflicting opinions which, whilst having the potential for confusing beginners, are nonetheless educational.

I would say the first thing you should do is take a trip to your nearest library and take out all the books you can find that seem relevant. This is exactly the type of project that most basic woodworking books are aimed at, you'll see what I mean as soon as you start leafing through a few.

If all you need is a desktop, I would suggest using a board material such as veneered MDF, with a ready made edge moulding planted on (you may need to thicken up the edge of the board by attaching a strip of timber to the bottom first). The 2 alternatives are solid timber planks edge jointed to build up to the required width (it's unlikely you'll meet with huge success here unless you want a fairly rustic end result), or using that horrible "furniture board" stuff that's laminated from strips of real wood (like the stuff that all the unfinished pine IKEA furniture is made from). Be warned, if going down this latter route, that it can look like a very easy way to get a large flat surface made of real wood. In reality the stuff has an alarming tendency to change shape very dramatically once unwrapped and brought into your nice warm, dry house. For the same reason you should avoid buying shrink-wrapped timber from the likes of Homebase/B&Q etc. Try instead, for real wood, to go to a proper timber merchants and ask for "redwood" - a somewhat generic term for a much better grade of timber than the "whitewood" (usually Spruce, and it really is white!) generally sold in the sheds.

I could go on like this all day, but I'm sure there are lots of others here, mostly more qualified than me, ready to offer advice.

The bottom line is: you'll never know till you try :wink:

Thanks for the tips and encouragement Mark :)

I had been to B&Q and asked about the wood, and they advised that I go to Jewsons or Buildbase to get it as they don't have the width. Not sure if you can actually get it though as most people seem to join planks as you say..

The desk top should be about 1300 x 700mm (roughly).

What problems would you forsee with joining the wood? is it a bit tricky for a newcomer or does it just not produce results that are that great?

Another question that I wanted to ask, my furniture is pine, but it doesn't have any knots. Is that just where they've selected cuts that are knot free, or can you ask for a specific quality that is knotless? (excuse my cluelessness)

I'll try and make up a plan for how I was thinking it should be made and link to it from here later on for feedback.

Hi Matthew and welcome.

I'd use pine veneered MDF and lip it with solid wood. As an example here's a link to S L Hardwoods who stock pine veneered MDF in various thicknesses - I know they are not in your area but it will give you an idea of prices and what's available http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/sheetmater ... ?sheetID=7 scroll down a bit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Matthew

Collins Complete Woodworkers Manual :
P66 Explains some of the types of man-made boards you can buy
P85 Is an excellent article on table making, most of which can be carried over to desks.
P240 Goes into great detail on Joint making and the different types thereof.

Have you got a picture of the specific style of desk you have in mind? I know you linked to some cabinets, but that doesn't necessarily tell us what style of desk you want to endup with. I can't visualise your legs idea.

First step for you is to scout out some timber suppliers local to you. Then decide if you going for man made or solid wood. Then we can further help you with how your going to put it all together and what tool you will need.

Thanks for all the advice so far all :)

Looks like I bought the right book then wizer ;) I'll have a read through those pages tomorrow when the books arrive, many thanks.

As for pictures, here's the front of one of the bedside cabinets:
http://tinyurl.com/6nkxc4

The red line is where id invisage the "bottom" of the desk top to be, and id like to create all the same style, or roughly the same as that.

So what I had thought is id have the wood for the top of the desk, which would be about 20mm thick, then about 30mm from the edge all around id have 50x50mm bits, and in the corner between that and the desktop itself, id put one of those right angle edge things to create the decoration..

You'll probably all be falling off your chairs laughing at that, but it was my plan, and it would get me the same shape, or similar. Of course that plan is formulated on what I know now, hoping to learn the error of my ways :)

And here's the top of the bedside cabinet:
http://tinyurl.com/6dr7gs

Id ideally like to create the same style there too.

Then id get some of those ikea/b&q metal legs that you just screw into the desk, which would go inside all the "frame" in each corner. I could then easily unscrew those again to get the whole thing out the door when required. They'd hopefully be sprayed to resemble the colour and texture of the handle's on the first image. It's sort of an aged metal effect.

I would like to make some proper wooden legs, but seeing as they need to come off easily, and I don't like screws showing everywhere, its probably out of the scope of my first project I would think.

Had a flick through my new books this morning, I think they cover just about everything, certainly enough to keep me busy for a long while.

As far as I can tell, for the desk surface I need to join planks to build up the width, then add breadboard sides and end (as named in the complete illustrated guide to furniture construction).

I think its going to take me a while, and a fair few pieces of wood will be mutilated along the way - but hopefully I can get there in the end, and I'm getting used to working on my makeshift desk (self employed web developer) in the meantime! even if it does consist of two cardboard boxes with an old coffee table top selotaped across the top ;)

Good work Matthew, you will find a wealth of info in those books. You sound like a pro allready bounding terms about like breadboard ends.

Most of us here are computer nerds turned hobby woodworker, so you're in good company ;)

Matthew,
Now the nights are starting to draw in my advice would be to enroll at a local college that runs a woodworking course.
Reading books is fine, but a skilled tutor will start you off on the right foot.
They will cover safety, tools to do the jobs, joints, marking out basic stuff.
From there you will be able to start your project, knowing you have advice and guidance at hand every week during the course.

It's worth the money and no doubt you will meet people with different skill levels to encourage you to move forward.

Mike

Agreed. That's what got me hooked. Not that I remember most of it now... :roll:

Not a bad idea, looked into it just now, the local college only does apprenticeships in the "Adult" courses for carpentry and joinery, and the fulltime course for furniture making is 3 days a week.

I'll carry on looking, see what I can find :)

It's worth persevering in the search for courses, I'm about to start my 3rd of evening classes, one night a week for 3 hours over 30 weeks might not sound a huge amount but the difference it makes is immense. When I get round to it I'll post up the picks of the table I made last term (and erm, ahem, am still finishing :oops: ) to show you what can be achieved with a bit of guidance.

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the "T" word yet. What tools do you have already? As part of your research I'd look into what tools are needed, if you plan to build the lot then you'll need all the tools, but if you plan to buy bits in (such as a the top and mouldings) then you'll need less tools.

Have fun and good luck

Damian

I've been searching for some carpentry/joinery/cabinetmaking course down here in Somerset/Devon. Not a chance!
There is a course in Shepton Mallet which might as well be on the other side of the moon but nothing within reasonable driving distance from Taunton.
I'm having to learn it all from scratch from books and reading this and (an) other forums.
It's coming back though, slowly! :roll:

Jim

What about Yeovil? Is that too far for you? I'm sure they do courses there (try Googling "Cabinet Making", "Furniture Studies" and "Furniture Production", as it may now be known).

I'm doing one up at Bristol but, if Shepton Mallet's too far then, I guess that's out of the question too. I'm sure that whatever you find though, it won't be cheap - there, I've warned you!! :shock: :?

:)

:roll: Sorry I haven't bothered reading ALL the previous replies :roll:

But, I do have something to say. Take a look at my website, and see my workshop. It is probably one of the most basic out there. I am experienced bench joiner with over 5 years experience now, but last month I used my own workshop to make a coffee table. Looking at the tools I used you will see you don't need much.

:arrow: If all you need to do is make a table top. I would suggest popping in machine Mart and buying some cheap sash cramps like I did for about £6-£10 depending on the length. Also, while your there buy a dowelling jig (about£10-£20). Also pick up on of there clarke belt sanders for about £30. (These tools are recommended for being cheap and I have used myself, but as others will say, cheap tools are a false economy and I have to agree with some of the tools available on th market)

Using a drill, use the dowelling jig to join the table top together. (you can see this on my website's WIPs) Then just use some quality wood adhesive. (everbuild, evo stick) Then sash cramp together. After 24 hours you can belt sand this flat, and then finish off using an orbital sander. (orbital sanders are what you pay for. I have a £15 argos orbial at home that I wouldnt dare use on furniture. For my table top I borrowed my comapanies orbital which was worth about £300)

If you are going into woodwork and want a small list of tools. Hand tools: chisels, mallets, hammer, drill bits, planes, g clamps, saws. Just to name a few. I have about £500 worth of hand tools. My workshop power tools include: belt sander, orbital sander, router, planer, jigsaw, circular saw, drill. I only have one machine and it is a small 3 wheeled bandsaw I got off ebay for £40. A bandsaw in my opinion is one of the best first machines you could buy.

:roll: sorry to have rabbled a little. :oops:

Thanks, OPJ.
Yeovil is a good hour drive from my home, so further than I would have hoped for. I am trying to view their part-time prosectus, but it's on one of these ridiculous virtual magazines and their site can only offer me the front cover at the moment!
I wonder if the courses at Yeovil might be a little too advanced for me: it looks like NVQ level 2 or 3 in fine furniture; I would rather have a sort of O level in woodworking to help me get to grips with the router, hand tools etc. Much like the thing I did at school, those several (45 :( ) years ago.

There is a very nice chap at Burrowbridge who held a short 2 hour class on the router a couple of years ago in Taunton, but he tolds us that the education authorities would only give him facilities to hold classes if there was a qualification at the end of it.
Targets, I suppose.

I shall keep looking for p-t courses, but in the meantime by taking it slowly and trying to be careful I'm getting there on my own.

Thanks again

Jim

Thanks Joiner-Sim, that information is very helpful.. I had actually looked at your coffee table post before and added it to my bookmarks for future reference! looks like a great piece of work.

I think I've read everything I can now, just time to get stuck in and see what happens I guess.. I'll go along with your coffee table WIP pics, should keep me on the right track.

Latest posts

Back