Newbie to the forum... and turning!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jambo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been reading the forum for a while so I thought I'd register and say hi to you all as it seems so friendly here!

I don't have a lathe as of yet, hoping to go to Harrogate when Record are there showing off their products, hopefully it will help me make my decision of what to get although space is limited so product choice naturally limited by that (I only have a shet, will that do the job!!?)

I am taking 1 on 1 lessons locally, just do a couple of hours a month, got my 2nd lesson next week :)

I think it's going to be a really enjoyable hobby and hope to speak to you all as soon as I have something to show you!

Rob.

Hmmm, I really should have read through my post before submitting it, I meant shed not shet!! :oops:

Hello Rob and welcome :D
Looks like you aren't rushing into things which is good.
I think you are doing the right thing with one to one tutoring as you will be getting some good advice on what to buy when you are ready.
Will look forward to seeing your set up in your shed.
How big is the shed :?:

Hello Rob, welcome to the forum, whether its a shed or shet I hope you get the enjoyment that I do. All the advice you want can be had on this forum,goodand helpful are the folk here. REgards Boysie

Thanks guys! The shed isn't huge so it will be just a mini lathe I will buy. Hopefully the one I buy will be big enough for the stuff I'm interested in (small bowls, goblets, pens, trinket boxes & wands - don't ask why I want to make wands I just like the look of them!!)

Have a 2 hour lesson on monday when hopefully I'll be finishing the box I started so once it's finished I'll post a piccie :D

Cheers, Rob.

Welcome Rob, my lathe is in a 8'x6'8'' shed, so i know all
about small spaces :lol:

Hmmm, I really should have read through my post before submitting it, I meant shed not shet!! :oops:[/quote]

:D I see you've been to the same school of typing as myself. The Hunt Peck Academy of Fine Typing........

welcome aboard, one newbie to another... :eek:ccasion5:

Jambo":g421h56u said:
(...)
I think it's going to be a really enjoyable hobby ....

Welcome Rob... I'm more than happy to confirm that you are quite right, it will be :wink:

Warning: turning can seriously damage your wealth

:lol:

oldsoke":q7vtw69n said:
Jambo":q7vtw69n said:
(...)
I think it's going to be a really enjoyable hobby ....

Warning: turning can seriously damage your wealth

:lol:

Yep thats something I'm quickly discovering! Between that and my other hobbie (photography) it's a serious drain on my disposable hard earnt!

:roll:

Howdy Jambo,

Welcome!

Forget all thoughts of going on holiday from now on - you won't
be able to afford it.... And anyway, you won't want to be parted from your
lathe for more than a few hours at a stretch. :)

Don't worry about the shed size.

My Draper's 5ft long and is in the corner of a lean-to on the back of the garage - 5ft wide at one end an 4ft at the other with an inch head clearance...
As long as you've enough room to manoeuvre around the lathe safely you should be fine.

This may seem silly but.... what I did before finally bolting the lathe in to place was to go to the workbench with the longest tool
I had (or failing that , a long stick :D ) and imagining a large piece on the lathe then move round it making "cuts".
Sweep the tool around and move around the piece and you will soon see if you have enough
room to get by.

You will look like an silly person when your spouse catches you and thinks you have finally flipped.

Especially if you are making "rurururururururururrr" noises to acompany it...... :oops:

Vulthoom":16zfghtk said:
You will look like an silly person when your spouse catches you and thinks you have finally flipped.

Especially if you are making "rurururururururururrr" noises to acompany it...... :oops:

Haha :lol: Gotta try that one!! Thats good news then that you have managed in a small shed too, I'll give the stick test and noises a go over the weekend :)

Rob.

I started in the attic and upgraded to a 6x10 shed. I had a CCL lathe, a bandsaw, (small one) and a small table saw in it. Also had a workbench. Only real problem was cleaning up. As long as you can access the lathe as mentioned there is no real problem (apart from the increasing jealousy factor when people such as Scrums give tours of their workshops. :twisted:)

Seriously, unless you are talking of something really small you would be surprissed how many people here are working from small spaces.

Pete

Back