Newbie question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caminoaustral

Reaction score
I have just purchased a Jet 1221vs as a first lathe - I used to do a fair bit of turning but not for 30 years!
It does not come with a chuck - could I ask what others might recommend for a good all-rounder? any thoughts that are on the Axminster range - I am happy to spend a reasonable amount to get something that will last in the medium to long term...
many thanks Andrew

I have three Axminster SK100 chucks and also had a Clubman Chuck, can’t fault them at all. The extensive range of jaws is also a plus. I also have a VersaChuck but don’t use it on my small Jet as it sticks out too far.

Dave

Hiya, as i have the axminster hobby lathe which does up to 12" dia i bought the charnwood viper 2 chuck, its a good little chuck but in hindsight i would get the viper 3, it has a bigger range and more potential. A thought for your shortlist perhaps :-D

I note you are in Oxford.
Suggest a trip to Didcot and Toolpost.
You can look at a variety of chucks "in the flesh" and get some expert advice at the same time.

I have their versa chuck and it has served me well for over 10 years.

I think I am right in that the 1221 have M33 x 3.5 spindle thread. If that is the case, it should serve you well since if you choose to buy a larger lather in the future then is is becoming a standard thread for the larger machines (new anyway!)

Others have mentioned the versachuck which is fine and Toolpost is the place to go (not sure if it is sold anywhere else?)

My #1 chuck is the axminster super precision chuck that is no longer made. If I were you I’d be looking for one of those used and buy a backplate (3 bolts to change) to suit your lathe from axminster if it comes up with a different thread. You can then buy any extra jaws you need.

The clubman range are ok (key not tommy bar if they still make it that you need to be an octopus to use) but always felt a bit light duty to me (maybe just in comparison to the SP).

I’ve not used the new evolution but looks great all be it at a price.

Hope that helps,

My 2c (and personal experience / bias)

Simon

Back