Newbie: Parsons table leg repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewpetty

Reaction score
I have a heavy solid wood (with veneer surface) parsons coffee table (122Lx81Wx51H) that I have inherited and would like to repair. One leg was broken in transportation, and another is wobbly. Also some edges of the veneer are a bit rough.

The above photos on Flickr show what I have done to repair it temporarily. I would prefer to not compromise the clean upper lines of the table, but the solution with the brackets has not stopped the leg wobbling, because it doesn't get in to the original joint. What can I do to secure the legs?

Also, what should I do to fix the rough veneer edges?

I am a complete novice with little access to tools, no workshop, and little access to hardware here in Abu Dhabi. But I would like to try and fix this well. Grateful for any suggestions, tips or advice.

If I just have to find someone to fix it, what should I ask them to do?

Thanks,
Matthew

Attachments

• 2015-09-18 18.32.31.jpg
    2015-09-18 18.32.31.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 2015-09-18 18.32.47.jpg
    2015-09-18 18.32.47.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 2015-09-18 18.33.16.jpg
    2015-09-18 18.33.16.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 134
I guess the situation is pretty hopeless, given my circumstances. What about drilling through the corners using long screws? I guess that would ruin the smooth look.

When the leg broke off in transit, it snapped the inner mitre joint parts. They were filled with glue and impossible to save.

Those triple mitres are really horrid to do, but it's not impossible.

First off: I have a feeling a similar problem was discussed a few years back, and there are definintely people on here who can help. Try the search system using terms like 'table leg mitres', to see what comes up.

Second, If you can contrive a jig for a pillar drill, you MIGHT manage to re-drill the joints for dowels. They are weak, mechanically. You'll need to be able to hold the leg and the corner in the same position WRT the drill. That could be very fiddly to do. I'd say it's next-to impossible hand-held.

The reinforcing dowel would need to go into the back (inside) corner of the leg, as that's where the 'meat' is in the apron it joins to. Realistically, you might only get one dowel in, aligned on the diagonal across the leg. Obviously two would be better, but I can't see how you could easily get the four holes in perfect alignment.

So you've got me intrigued as to if it's possible at all!

We'll wait to see if anyone pops up with a good answer.

E.

PS: This joint was popular on a lot of "modernist" (typically 1970s) furniture, but it's always weak and I've seen a lot of stuff where it's failed in the same way. It may be someone has an excellent solution, but they certainly didn't when the stuff was made.

Thanks for the tips.
I'm thinking more and more that I should just get long screws, like 5" screws (if they exist) and just drill, screw and fill the holes. The table is pretty battered anyway, and this at least would be a lot stronger. I'd have to make sure they don't clash with each other.

Back