Newbie needs chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim77

Reaction score
Hello all I'm new to this forum businesses so please bare with me. I have just purchased a record cl2 lathe ( about 10 years old ) and Im after a chuck have had a look at record nova 2 and Robert sorby patriot and Axminster evolution its bit like being kid in sweet shop I know people will have favourite makes etc etc but being new to wood turning was after bit of help and advice and also on look out woodturning course in Suffolk found Peter child's which looks very good didn't know if people new of similar courses
Many thanks
Jim

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum and mind blowing world of what do I need for my lathe.
There are some great chucks available and making the right choice can be difficult. My main chuck is the Supernova2, I Have had this chuck for about 5 years and not a problem with it. I also have a G3 Nova geared chuck and the jaws off the Supernova are compatible with it. I also have one of the Rutlands cheaper chucks and at £69 and compatibility with the Supernova jaws makes it a very good buy.

Once you have your first chuck I guarantee that it won't be long before you will be after another the best advice that I can give you is to go for one that allows as much compatibility with the various jaws as possible.

Vic

I would echo Vic's post either the Rutlands Dakota brands or the G3 or SN/2. All the jaws are compatible with the Record ones ie the G3 and SN/2 being more expensive because they are better quality. I have chucks from both sets and the SN/2 is smoother, less run out and the finish is better (no sharp corners).

Having said that the Dakota chucks are easily good enough for regular turning and they are a fair bit cheaper.

Thanks gents
For quick reply sounds good to me time for bit more homework compatibility sounds the key.
Can you recommend online shop suppliers
Many thanks
James

Back again just been on to rutlands co uk doing deal on chuck kit xt650kit seams bit of bargain if you get chance have look tell me what you think
Many thanks again james

Jim77":1q183xzf said:
Back again just been on to rutlands co uk doing deal on chuck kit xt650kit seams bit of bargain if you get chance have look tell me what you think
Many thanks again james
I bought this kit at Easter when they had it n offer and have not regretted it for a moment.

There is an argument that it is 'small' at a nominal 70mm OD - compared to the 'standard' 100mm - but I haven't found that any problem, possibly because I have a limit of 7" maximum swing on my lathe.

Buying on line you'll get 5% off just because it is over £100.

Thanks j-g that's good to hear it's nice to know genuine veiw on something specially when new to turning where best to spend my money I can turn up to 18" 460 mm bowl on lathe do you think this might be bit much or I spose how big the bowl depth is Byrne good kit to get me started
Many thanks
Jes

Jim77":29qct7y1 said:
Many thanks again james

Jim, I have just had a look at the kit you are talking about on the Rutlands Site. You certainly seem to get a lot of stuff for your money. It also gets a recommendation from another forum member. There seems to be a comprehensive range of jaws including button jaws that come with it. If this kit was available when I was on the market for a chuck I thonk I would have gone for it. It's virtually half price and because you are spending over £100 you will qualify for the additional discount.

I think that you should be ok but just check that it is compatible with the thread size on your lathes headstock spindle.

Vic

Thanks vic
Did a double check my spindle is 3/4 Dia x 16 tip and comes with adator in kit from 1" Dia x 8 tpi in back of chuck think I will go with it be good to get me going as can only turn between centers at mo don't even have face plate as lathe was second hand thanks everyone for help it's saved me buying blind where I would of spent lot more money
Many thanks
James

I bought one of the Rutlands chuck packages, no complaints at all about quality and big enough for many jobs with good selection of jaws . My first was a Peter Child one needed 2 tommy bars to operate and that I found very awkward .

I bought the XT650 as the first chuck for my lathe. It runs a dream and is so versatile.

I know when I progress onto bigger and better things that I'll need to get a bigger chuck, but until I get a bigger lathe and a better chuck, this will be perfect.

Thanks to all replys
rutlands email today says been dispatched to me just waiting on parcel-force now let you know how I get on when it get here

Hi just quick up date parcel force delivery here open up ready to go like you do with all new toys only to find it was missing the adaptor from 1 to 3/4 so can't use it at mo spoke to Rutlands they were very sorry and have sent one first class today so any luck will be working be Thursday but rest of kit looks very good for the money let you know when my first bowl done

Back