Newbie needing advice on band saw please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTFM

Reaction score
Hello to all,

This is my first post (just joined tonight). This is a strange one but I am trying to find out information about various wood saw machinery in a workshop I am now responsible for. I have been using most of this stuff for years (to build my own things) but never really paid any attention to makes or models.

Please excuse my lack of the correct terminology......

The kit in the workshop consists of:

1. Vertical standing band saw (about five and a half feet high). It has the words 'Wetter, London' on the side.
2. Vertical sanding machine with long belt.
3. Pillar drill - large
4. Cross cut circular saw fitted to bench.
5. Floor standing planer.
6. Edge fed circular saw (incorporated into metal bench) with height adjustment for blade (which is about 15 inches in diameter)

Oh dear, I should have tried to get more information before posting this.

Anyway, I'm trying to work out what I need and I can usefully keep. However, I definitely don't need the band saw.

So to my question, does anyone recognize or know the name Wetter? I have done an internet search and can find nothing.

I could provide photos but some tidying up would be required.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Why do you say you don't need a bandsaw?It is one of the most useful machines in any workshop,I'm sure most of the people would agree.If I were to get rid of one thing it would be one of the circular saws.

does the bandsaw have a tilting table?
If not, I think you might have a butchers meat saw, made by K.G.Wetter.

IF its a meat saw, then sell it on. But if its a proper bandsaw with tilting table and it works well, you would be crazy to get rid of it because bandsaws are wonderful machines.
I advise getting rid of nothing at this stage. Any machine that works well is worth keeping untill you know what you are going to do.

If you've been using the machines for years I suppose you have based the statement of "don't need the bandsaw" on that experience, but I'm somewhat surprised, a bandsaw is the one really glaring omission from my workshop currently, ripping boards by hand soon loses its novelty for me, and my accuracy / straight line skills leave something to be desired too.

Photos might well clear things up a bit, we could certainly provide better insight for you. As others have said, getting rid of good machines shouldn't be done lightly.

Thanks for your replies.
I have never used the band saw. I never had a need but there was rarely a blade fitted in it. It still hasn't got one fitted.
I will look at the table. I don't think it tilts.
Never really considered that it may be a meat saw. But is Wetter a German company? The saw has London written on the side.

Wetter is german, but its quite possible that they had a london office in the past. they dont make meat saws any more, that machine could easily be 30 years old. A picture would tell more.

Photos attached. Needs a good service!
Table is fixed and not tilting.

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpg
    IMG_3233.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3235.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 87
That is a beast. Have a look on the motor I.D. plate, sometimes they have year of manufacture. Is there no plate on the inside of the doors or on the side against the wall?

I think that is (was) a meat saw, but its still a very useful tool if you are going to make big stuff.
I certainly would not throw it out at this early stage.

I cannot see any numbers anywhere.
There is a hard to read plate on the motor.
It says BROOK ENGINEERING, with various motor ratings etc. It's in a really awkward place and hard to read so I'll have a go at getting some more info from it later.

No advice on the bandsaw, but might be an idea to get your mains cable in conduits...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back