Newbie - Lathe Buying Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinhart

Reaction score
Hello All,

Firstly Sorry for the classic Newbie Question.

What Lathe should I purchase?

A little background first if I may....

A few years ago (worringly around 15 or so) I was at school, and was asked to do some "wood type thing" for parents evening... I glued a few bits of scrap oak together and turn a goblit from a rather poor sketch on the back of some homework paper that may never have been submitted. The result was embarresgly held up in front of ones school and described as a shining example of what came come from scrap wood... then they named me... dam....

Anyway, I enjoy woodwork and I use it as an escape from my rather stressful life in IT.... I would like to get into woodturning properly and really give some commitment to it...

I have been reading up on many lathes, and to be honest there are so many oppinions its hard to actually discard any...
My budget is not huge £250 -- £350 (at a push), I have a wife and two young children and can not be selfish, so I accept compromises will have to be made. I have concluded Axminster although may not be top of the market, they are a steady, reptratable company, I also have good experiance with them.

My challange is as follows.
A benchtop Lathe: Axminster Hobby Series AH-1218VS
- This has varible speed control 500 - 4000 rpm, swing of 300mm, cast iron and has many good reviews.

or

Axminster Hobby Series AWVSL900
- This has varible speed control 500 - 2000 rpm, swival head stock, LEGS,

clearly legs and swivaling headstock and big nice to haves, but is the speed and issue? Do I need 4000rpm?

I do know I would like to turn some goblets, pens, bowles.. I guess a bit of alround turning.. I do not want to exclude a specific type of turning because I chose the wrong type of Lathe, centainly not without knowing it anyway...

So I have waffled on, and this may start reading like war a piece....

If someone could consider what I am asking / understand my situation (wanting to everytihng :) ) I would be greatful for a reply...

Thank you for reading..

Regards

Colin

hi colin, found my lathe and tools advertised on a card in the local tesco!

tools werent the best but have served me well whilst learning. my local wood turners club also have quite a few members who sell off bits and bats at each meet, so you get a decent tool at a fraction of the new cost.

I was in March Cambridgshire earlier this year and visited Ely, whilst there, I visited an exhibition by local wood turners.

http://www.elyguildofwoodturners.org.uk/

maybe you could contact them for more advice or see whats for sale?

Hi Colin. Whereabouts in cambs are you? It's always good to try some lathes, and there are members here who would be happy to let you have a go, and various clubs also. One at peterborough, although they inconveniently meet on Saturdays. Also worth popping over to MAC timbers open day 30/11. Near Oundle.
As to speed, for narrow spindle work like pens, the faster speed is worthwhile. For bowls etc not necessary. For me, variable speed is a must. My lathe has a combination of belt change and variable speed to give good torque at slow speed. Best to try a few then possibly buy second hand to get best value. If you want some green ash pop over.

Just to say thank you for the replys.

I have considered wht has been said and after speaking / trying a lathe I ended up purchasing the Axminster.. I appreciate not the best, but certainly good alround. It appears to me very solid (it is after all 90KGs)

I thought I would post a picture of my first turn... and a photo f the turn with the lathe...

first turn.JPG

lathe and work.JPG

The bowl turn was a cust off the wood below, I do not have a chuck, so the work was attached to teh back plate. I was able to get Axminster to include a roughing out chissle, but I used a chisle my dad gave me which his father in law gave him the most.

I did a small burn with a scap of mohogeny around the rim of the bowl. PLease feedback, as i need to learn somehow...

THe second cylinder was a glue up of 6 bits, i have only turned this to a round for now, not sure what i will do with this.. but ready for when the idea drops...

Nick (this may seem a basic q. sorry) what is green ash, and I think yes?

Thank you all for your replys, I am seeing the Cambridge wood turners a few weeks, Moby I did look a Ely, ironically very close to my office, however Wednesdays are already booked in the diary.

Attachments

• first turn.JPG
    first turn.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,432
  • lathe and work.JPG
    lathe and work.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,422
Hi Colin, we had the crown taken out of a large ash tree in the garden. Green is unseasoned wood, very easy to turn, but a bit unstable and is likely to warp or spilt when turned. You're welcome to pop over and have some.

Glad you're sorted Colin. I have a similar Lathe to yours I bought from Axminster, not the best in the world but good enough for most things. I think you really need to buy and run a Lathe before you really know what you want so you've taken the first step! I would actually say the Lathe itself is probably the least important part in turning, good sharp turning tools are critical.

Back