Newark Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be there on the Laguna stand, and of course to all members on here, please feel free to drop by and say 'hi' if you want - I read this forum more than I post on it, but it's always nice to put faces to usernames.
Likely to be a blinkin' cold snowy set up day tomorrow I think for all of us exhibitors as we get all our gear inside.... Hat and gloves already packed!
Cheers,
Nick

well I'm glad I read this - I thought it was Sat / Sun & planned to go Sunday - that would have been embarrassing. But i've got the day off on Friday, so will probably nip down then.

Yeah I’m only 20 miles from Newark but with all the snow we’ve already had & what’s forecast I think I’ll be waiting till Saturday

Planning to motor up from near Cambridge Friday. Forecast looks a little grim but keeps changing. Does a yellow snow warning mean the snow will be yellow? Sounds fun. Wet here (OK) but maybe a fair bit of snow there so the A1 may turn to chaos. Google maps at 8am will be the decider.

Never been before, I'm assuming it's some sort of "very big shed" so likely cold inside.

Well I now don't know what to do. I have been looking forward to this show for a long time and had planed to go Friday as Saturday doesn't really work for me. I am in Bedfordshire and Newark is 80 miles north of me I will look out of the window in the morning and if it is clear here I may set off up the A1 and if things turn bad I will turn round and come back home. Who knows if I get there and things turn bad Richard C and myself may well both end up sleeping in our vehicles in the snow on the A1 trying to get home.

Many thanks for the update Peter.
I feel for you guys who put in so much effort and time and money into these shows in the past I used to have stands at autojumbles and steam fairs and it is heart breaking when the weather destroys you effort.
If things look ok here in the morning I will set off and hope for the best it has to be said that most of my journey will be on the A1 and in this day and age I think that with the warning they have had the people in charge of keeping our road network open should be up to the job.

A couple of pics from the stand, it rained overnight so was looking clear, starting snowing just now so a light covering here at present.

Attachments

• IMG_4224.jpeg
    IMG_4224.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4225.jpeg
    IMG_4225.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
All fine here, A1 a bit slushy and windy around Peterborough but no difficulties. Queue to get in at 10. 30 Fri.

Visited this morning from Sutton Coldfield, no issues with the roads & weather. Very busy, struggled to get a coffee and a bacon butty. Nice to meet up with Peter and Roger Berwick (for those of you who know him) but a bit disappointed with the overall show. Quite a few of the “Proops” type stalls and very little timber other than turning blanks. Quite a few demos but only a couple had seats so a bit of standing if you wanted to watch any. Just about worth it but most people‘s view was that it wasn’t a patch on Harrogate (which I missed!).

By and large disappointing I’d say (but I could easily have spent a fortune on Peter’s stand!). A big redeeming feature for me is that the show ground is on an old RAF airfield, and there is an excellent aircraft museum there which I went spent a lot more time in than the woodwork exhibition. Nearly all the planes and exhibits are from the second half of the 20th century, so all the early British jets etc. Their cafe is way better too!

It wasn’t as large as Harrogate, agreed, nor was it swamped with Woodturning clubs which was a comment made about there last year.

There was a reasonable selection of displays/stalls and it was £7 to get in if paid in advance.

When the number of shows available to us are extremely limited, what do we honestly hope for at £7? Fair value I thought despite a 4 hour round trip for me.

I might be easily pleased and I appreciate others will have different perspectives. Definitely worth the visit if you’re not coming from too far, but, I also understand that Harrogate will still be seen as the jewel in the crown of a very limited number of shows to choose from.

Well, that was good. Not a big exhibition, but covered everything I was looking for. I came away with a lathe chuck and jaws, plus a couple of negative rake scrapers.

… please feel free to drop by and say 'hi' …
Every time I walked past you were talking with someone, and I wouldn’t like to interrupt a potential sale.

Latest posts

Back