New Workshop - Roof Now On

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
Following a long gestation period my new workshop build started this week. At this stage my role has been purely as labourer.

The workshop is an extension on a garage/log store so the first stage was to strip back the roof saving the pantiles and ridge stones.

Roof removal.jpg

Then the wall had to come down. I took the original building down before the garage was built with a digger in about ten minutes ... this took a bit longer so as to not disturb the brickwork that will remain and the bricks were being cleaned for re-use.

Wall down.jpg

Half the timber frame out next ...

Frame removal.jpg

The extension is being built on a raft foundation so part of the existing floor had to come out. The first breaker just bounced off it and a full sized road breaker had to be deployed but after a few hours it was done.

Concrete cut out.jpg

Digger brought in for earthworks and stoning up ...

Digger.jpg

At last some woodwork with the building of the shuttering for the raft foundation. The outer wall is built off a toe on the raft and the inner skin on the main slab level.

Shuttering.jpg

Finished the steelwork and added ballast to stop the shuttering and formwork floating when the concrete is pumped in.

Ballast.jpg

The concrete arrived bang on time ... this actually the second truck and for clarity it's what we class as a sunny day in Yorkshire!

Concrete arrives.jpg

Concrete being pumped in. The pump operators said they have seen full packs of blocks which were being used as ballast lifted - note the joiner who built it watching nervously and the true Yorkshireman in short sleeves ...

Pumping.jpg

First stage done. According to the laser the formwork lifted by 1mm which we are classing as a success.

Concrete in.jpg

Bricky starts on Monday - walls up by Friday?

Last edited:
Wow! That is quite a piece of work, it will be a super space. I seem to recognise the houses opposite you, are you at the end of a one track long road down a hillside with a very nice pub at the end of the village and a dead-end that is next to a railway station? No names no pack drill. Ian

Exciting stuff, I am going to enjoy watching this (y)

All sealed up for Christmas?

Wow! That is quite a piece of work, it will be a super space. I seem to recognise the houses opposite you, are you at the end of a one track long road down a hillside with a very nice pub at the end of the village and a dead-end that is next to a railway station? No names no pack drill. Ian

No, you must thinking of somewhere else Ian - although we do have a very nice pub! The house style is fairly typical of villages built by country house estates around here and I can hazard several guesses as to where you are thinking of within a couple of miles.

Cheers

Also going to enjoy this build. What sort of dimensions are you working to here, it’s difficult to judge from the pics.

No, you must thinking of somewhere else Ian - although we do have a very nice pub! The house style is fairly typical of villages built by country house estates around here and I can hazard several guesses as to where you are thinking of within a couple of miles.

Cheers

Same as Cabinetman I was thinking I'm sure I know that road but yes it could also be any village near me, especially with the fog that hung around for a couple of days!

It will all be over by Christmas, they said that about something else!
That’s pretty much the size and shape of my workshop, which was a huge leap from my previous one, but still I couldn’t believe that, you’re right you’ll be wishing it was a little bit bigger, particularly on the 4 1/2 m measurement.
I’m being picky really it’s a wonderful space and I know just how lucky I am to have it. Ian

Ohh a new victim workshop build, great!

Can I assume given the abundance of blocks that its going to be blocks all the way up?

You'll love the new space. I've only really started actually using mine in the last 2 days and its SO NICE. I keep toddling on being able to find everything I need, having space to work, bliss. Owing to the amount of light in mine though I do keep comnig out at 5.30 and going "duck it's dark out here".

More pics and words please!

@Sheptonphil ere this blokes cheating, getting people in!

Can I assume given the abundance of blocks that its going to be blocks all the way up

It is going to be brick and block construction with 75mm of Kingspan cavity insulation board. I will post some of the drawings on the next update.

I take my hat off to you guys for tackling your builds single handed - I was cream crackered on the days I did. I’m timing taking days off to use up this years holidays to cherry pick the bits I want to do.

It is going to be brick and block construction with 75mm of Kingspan cavity insulation board. I will post some of the drawings on the next update.

I take my hat off to you guys for tackling your builds single handed - I was cream crackered on the days I did. I’m timing taking days off to use up this years holidays to cherry pick the bits I want to do.
Very nice! The tiredness wasn't a problem. The bruises on my backside from sitting on the roof battens for hours however were a different story.

Shere as much as you can, it all helps others too. I lived vicariously for nearly a decade and I imagine there are many like me!

At that size, do you not need Building Control ?

Yes it does Roger. They "popped in" to take a look at the work before the concrete was poured.

This is where we miss MikeG - as I understand it if it had been standalone, not intended to be living accommodation and below 30 sq m it wouldn't but someone with more knowledge may correct me.

Another guy who has 3 wheelbarrows, I thought I was the only one. :)
You've done exceptionally well for the formwork to lift only 1 mm, we had one lifted nearly 50 mm despite being staked and screwed with a couple of tonnes of stone banked around it. We had to disregard it and use the laser to get correct levels as it was a hot sunny day and the damned stuff was going off as we looked at it.

Another guy who has 3 wheelbarrows, I thought I was the only one. :)
You've done exceptionally well for the formwork to lift only 1 mm, we had one lifted nearly 50 mm despite being staked and screwed with a couple of tonnes of stone banked around it. We had to disregard it and use the laser to get correct levels as it was a hot sunny day and the damned stuff was going off as we looked at it.

I find wheelbarrows are a bit like clamps ...

That must have been a bit of a panic - I was amazed that by 3pm the concrete was hard and could have been walked on.

The skip driver turned up to swap the skips over today and wasn’t too happy that the final concrete truck had emptied what was left straight into the skip ... his front wheels were a good eight inches off the ground before it lifted and he was quite proficient in the art of swearing!

I find wheelbarrows are a bit like clamps ...
Me too, actually I forgot I have 4 wheelbarrows plus 2 of those 4 wheeled garden truck thingies and all get used. Same with trailers, I have one for the mower/tractor, a twin axle Ifor Williams and bought a little s/h camping trailer last week 'cos it was only £50 and might be useful. :unsure:
I reluctantly sold the wacker and spare cement mixer recently, must get rid of other surplus stuff but it's like extracting teeth.:oops:

Latest posts

Back