New workshop for 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DBT85":272ugbso said:
Glad that all went well!

Is the Graco another tool to buy for the job or did you have it anyway?
Well, it was a tool bought in January a couple of weeks after we moved in here. I got it pre owned as we had five rooms and a landing plaster skim coated to get rid of artex stipple before decorating. I hate painting ceilings, and the thought of four double bedrooms, a dressing room and a landing three coats with a roller filled me with horror, especially the first watery mist coat. This does a ceiling 7m x 4m in under five minutes, no neck ache, no drips or splatter, a perfect finish, far smoother than any brush or roller. I knew I’d have another thirty metre ceiling here to do, so kept it for that. The plasterer want to buy it when workshop is finished, same money I paid for it.

Inspector":2kw3f2de said:
Good to hear there are no issues with the build.

If I may suggest. After the fence is down and removed, lay a tarp on the ground while you work and as soon as you are done for the day roll it and the debris up so the neighbour can't complain about dropped nails or sawdust etc being left behind. Just don't leave it overnight. Yellow grass and all that. ;)

Pete
Thanks Pete, it’s a bit of his garden, not grass, but that is a super idea. I’ve a long enough piece of DPM five feet wide that would do the job nicely.

MikeG.":1jyy6o5f said:
Sheptonphil":1jyy6o5f said:
Planning enforcement arrived at 2pm. ......He was happy everything was fine and signed it off........

Excellent. =D>
Thanks, I’m relieved. Despite not thinking I’d done anything wrong, I’ve invested so much time and effort into the build, to fall foul would have been soul destroying.

Sheptonphil":3vlrf2wv said:
DBT85":3vlrf2wv said:
Glad that all went well!

Is the Graco another tool to buy for the job or did you have it anyway?
Well, it was a tool bought in January a couple of weeks after we moved in here. I got it pre owned as we had five rooms and a landing plaster skim coated to get rid of artex stipple before decorating. I hate painting ceilings, and the thought of four double bedrooms, a dressing room and a landing three coats with a roller filled me with horror, especially the first watery mist coat. This does a ceiling 7m x 4m in under five minutes, no neck ache, no drips or splatter, a perfect finish, far smoother than any brush or roller. I knew I’d have another thirty metre ceiling here to do, so kept it for that. The plasterer want to buy it when workshop is finished, same money I paid for it.
Ahh that'll do then! I really should have bought one when we started doing this place. So much paint. So many rollers.

DBT85":37t4s9y7 said:
Yhe next project for me like this is a 3 car garage.

And here’s me fighting off a smallish summer house, now with decking, fire pit or chiminea, lights and Wi-fi. Oh, and a slated roof to match the workshop.

Sheptonphil":37nv5iwt said:
DBT85":37nv5iwt said:

And here’s me fighting off a smallish summer house, now with decking, fire pit or chiminea, lights and Wi-fi. Oh, and a slated roof to match the workshop.
Look on the bright side. With you in the shop and her in the summer house you can rent out your actual house!

DBT85":3te6f9hp said:
Sheptonphil":3te6f9hp said:
DBT85":3te6f9hp said:

Look on the bright side. With you in the shop and her in the summer house you can rent out your actual house!
MIL is staying due to lockdown for her own good, ten weeks certainly take its toll on maternal tolerance, the shop and summer house will be excellent retreats. :) :)

A great start to the day, the rains overnight cleared away to leave it dull but dry.

9 o’clock sharp and the trestles were set up ready for cutting the cladding. Tools charged, and a flask to hand. First job was to remove the eight old fence panels to give working room. I had arranged with the neighbour a month ago that I would do the fence this weekend. After the ‘concern’ raised about the build from this same neighbour, I was apprehensive as to him being amiable. I know he has had reservations all along.

Fence panels removed, bottom starter strip nailed on and it was time to start making noise and start cladding. I was constantly scanning around, waiting for signs of life from the house, nothing, nada. Too good to be true I thought, but there was a car missing from the drive.

Anyways, after a couple of hours plodding away, probably got the first three rows on, a voice from the driveway. ‘Ah, you said you were coming, I forgot’. Well it was really amiable, not civil, which was all I was expecting, brusque even, but no, happy and chatty. Right thinks I, let’s mention the ladders coming round later when I’m at head height. That’s OK he says, the bark will rake over later.

Once I’d picked my jaw off the ground, I bade him farewell and set about the work in a lightened mood.

It was a loooong slog, not a simple pick a length, nail it on, next, repeat. The Gecko gauge clamps were expensive, but invaluable, another tool to sell on when the project is finished.

Lunch time passed, heavy rain showers came several times, tea time arrived and went, and still the paslode was firing away. I also had the verge to trim out with edging and a second counter batten along the verge to nail the planks to (The aluminium trim took up most of the verge battens in place already so needed doubling up).

At 7.55pm, the last nail went in the last plank. :D :D :D :D :D Nine and a half hours straight. But still the fencing to replace.

Seven were straight drop in panels, oh no they weren’t. They were 25mm too narrow for the concrete posts. Looking at the old panels, there was a strip added to one side. I had a few lengths of roof batten left, so these were ripped in two and a half added to each side. Perfect fit, the batten was inside the channel with half the panel edge. A custom trimmed panel made for the last gap, slotted in place and job complete for the day. Tidy up of work area and clear the tools away and finally went in at 9:30pm.

It will really be plain sailing from here on in, front and back cladding is only 2.5m high and quite short pieces, think I’m going to be four or five lengths short, but hey, difficult to quantify how much was needed. Too costly to over order this cladding.
055BD07E-1468-4F2C-AB8B-6FF8F1F11245.jpeg

CA95AD4E-A302-4FB7-9203-52721A27A616.jpeg

0387B01E-F84E-4AED-A137-3122C5A7CB17.jpeg

2F8F9322-4AD7-485C-9DE5-7E62094D03E7.jpeg

Attachments

• 055BD07E-1468-4F2C-AB8B-6FF8F1F11245.jpeg
    055BD07E-1468-4F2C-AB8B-6FF8F1F11245.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 192
  • CA95AD4E-A302-4FB7-9203-52721A27A616.jpeg
    CA95AD4E-A302-4FB7-9203-52721A27A616.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 0387B01E-F84E-4AED-A137-3122C5A7CB17.jpeg
    0387B01E-F84E-4AED-A137-3122C5A7CB17.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 2F8F9322-4AD7-485C-9DE5-7E62094D03E7.jpeg
    2F8F9322-4AD7-485C-9DE5-7E62094D03E7.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 192
Noggsy":13uzewdi said:
Lovely, tidy job. Well done.
Thanks, I’m well pleased the way it turned out.

It has softened the look of the side, he has the most visual impact, from my side all that is seen is a nice sloping slated roof.

That's a long day!

Maybe you are about to enter a better phase of relationship with your neighbour, and maybe a bottle of wine with a "thank you" note might help ease the way towards that goal.

Nice job, shame the Gekos won't work for larger cladding. I did look at the cladman, think I saw one on ebay for £100 used so might be an idea.

Do you know that it was this neighbour that objected or just assume?

Great job Phil always worth putting in a long shift in those circumstances and from experience I bet you have aches in muscles you didn't even know you had. :wink:

Just one comment if I may..... FLASK ? :shock:.........You need to get some priorities sorted, what about the boss lady fetching regular and copious mugs of freshly brewed hot liquid? :lol:

Lons":39oq7xfq said:
Great job Phil always worth putting in a long shift in those circumstances and from experience I bet you have aches in muscles you didn't even know you had. :wink:

Just one comment if I may..... FLASK ? :shock:.........You need to get some priorities sorted, what about the boss lady fetching regular and copious mugs of freshly brewed hot liquid? :lol:
She's too busy drawing up the summer house!

MikeG.":1uhbd2ql said:
That's a long day!

Maybe you are about to enter a better phase of relationship with your neighbour, and maybe a bottle of wine with a "thank you" note might help ease the way towards that goal.
I think that is an excellent idea, thanks.

I’ll pick one up today and make a personal thank you card.

DBT85":264czqks said:
Nice job, shame the Gekos won't work for larger cladding. I did look at the cladman, think I saw one on ebay for £100 used so might be an idea.

Do you know that it was this neighbour that objected or just assume?
Yes, these gauge clamps are made for 8-10mm Cement cladding, but are so easy to use, a flip of a lever and they are locked on and the gauge is set. I’ll put some close ups on when I do the back.

It’s definitely this neighbour. When officer was here he confirmed it without actually saying, due to confidentiality. :?

His MIL and FIL were round as I was putting in the last panel, saying how clean and tidy it looks. Thinks might indeed be looking up.

Lons":3rs9gapk said:

I dreaded sitting down in a soft chair last night, I knew it was all going to go pear shaped. Half hour sitting and it was a real struggle to get up and walk around. :eek:
Cramp several times through the night, but all good now, especially knowing I don’t have to ‘just do the last two hours today’ always prefer to crack on where possible. I’m retired, so plenty of time to plod away at the rest now.

DBT85":vjrkps3x said:
Lons":vjrkps3x said:

She's too busy drawing up the summer house!
Coffee was brought out several times, the flask was supplementary, service is sometimes a little tardy. :D
I believe the summer house is well advanced mentally. :shock:

MikeG.":1qzpmf1l said:
Sheptonphil":1qzpmf1l said:
........I believe the summer house is well advanced mentally. :shock:

I look forward to seeing the designs when they're posted here. :lol:
It’ll be here for discussion we’ll before the build starts. I’ve learned from this project to ask for advise and opinions before committing to a saw! It has saved me time and money getting it right (or righter) first time. :wink:

Back