New workshop for 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll route everything below ceiling level.

I’m also putting a ceiling mounted air filter like the Record AC400 in the middle of the room, although some say to put it at the edge so it produces a circular air stream.

Taping and first fill completed.

Got to get on and fit all the trims and vent mesh for the cladding tomorrow. With wet weather coming in for Thursday and Friday I need it done ready to crack on with cladding first thing on Saturday. At least then I’ll be able to work inside for a couple of days doing rub down and second fill.
FCD0C411-B111-41CC-83B3-757494764FEE.jpeg

708F7505-0802-4D53-BC67-A5E90CAD929A.jpeg

EF031463-FF8E-4EE5-BADE-AC6D9C78BB90.jpeg

Attachments

• FCD0C411-B111-41CC-83B3-757494764FEE.jpeg
    FCD0C411-B111-41CC-83B3-757494764FEE.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 708F7505-0802-4D53-BC67-A5E90CAD929A.jpeg
    708F7505-0802-4D53-BC67-A5E90CAD929A.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 194
  • EF031463-FF8E-4EE5-BADE-AC6D9C78BB90.jpeg
    EF031463-FF8E-4EE5-BADE-AC6D9C78BB90.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 193
Did you use wedges to help level the plates on the dpc Phil or did you not feel the need as there was no frame weight on top of it?

I recall Mike using them on the workshop but for that one he put the whole frames up on the mortar rather than just the plate.

DBT85":20aoiyj7 said:
Did you use wedges to help level the plates on the dpc Phil or did you not feel the need as there was no frame weight on top of it?

I recall Mike using them on the workshop but for that one he put the whole frames up on the mortar rather than just the plate.

No wedges, I used a stiffish mortar mix with febmix, bedded the DPC on lightly, then placed the sole plate on the DPC. After setting the first one dead level with gentle tapping to ease out the mortar, I joined the second which had already had a lap joint cut, gently setting it to level. Just did this for all four sides. By the time I had set the fourth side, I could strap the first side, then worked round doing them all. I had pre routered the groves for the straps by setting them on dry and marking. I also cut the door gap out later when everything was set and strapped, there was no chance of it not lining up that way rather than two pieces of timber.

Well, second fill completed today, then off to the tip it’s a good clear out.

Arrived home to a letter from the local authority planning enforcement officer. Seems someone thinks I have built larger than my plan, and he needs access to the site to verify build size.

Spoke with him on the phone, he’s popping in tomorrow.

I did go out with my digital measure, combined internal area for both rooms is 29.85sqm. It did occur, had I removed the internal wall, I would have been over size, as it is, nothing to worry about. My roof height is 50mm less than my planning approval.

Sheptonphil":pex5ougo said:
......... My roof height is 50mm less than my planning approval.

I always write the ridge heights on planning applications, and I always add 100/ 150mm on to what we are actually proposing, so that there is absolutely no comeback if the ridgetile happens to be bedded on a thicker mortar coarse than usual. Same with plan sizes, although I add a little less on.

Sheptonphil":2wzx12pk said:
DBT85":2wzx12pk said:

No wedges, I used a stiffish mortar mix with febmix, bedded the DPC on lightly, then placed the sole plate on the DPC. After setting the first one dead level with gentle tapping to ease out the mortar, I joined the second which had already had a lap joint cut, gently setting it to level. Just did this for all four sides. By the time I had set the fourth side, I could strap the first side, then worked round doing them all. I had pre routered the groves for the straps by setting them on dry and marking. I also cut the door gap out later when everything was set and strapped, there was no chance of it not lining up that way rather than two pieces of timber.
Did you lap the corners or just butt them?

MikeG.":15l4nad9 said:
Sheptonphil":15l4nad9 said:
......... My roof height is 50mm less than my planning approval.

I always write the ridge heights on planning applications, and I always add 100/ 150mm on to what we are actually proposing, so that there is absolutely no comeback if the ridgetile happens to be bedded on a thicker mortar coarse than usual. Same with plan sizes, although I add a little less on.
On the planning application I was told dimensions are not required, just scale plans at A3. That’s what they got and approved. I also checked my scale plans and I’m within spec, not by more than 10mm, but inside what I’d drawn. I think it’s probably ridge that’s caused it as going from hipped pent roof to apex added 600mm to height. Add that to the scenario where many people cannot visualise a 2D plan in 3D and it probably looks ‘bigger than I imagined’. It’s exactly as I’d seen it mentally, and once clad this weekend it will look more in keeping than the black membrane wall.

Sheptonphil":ta34jzfu said:
........On the planning application I was told dimensions are not required..........

Local authorities vary in their requirements. However, never minding that I always put in dimensions (with a bit of tolerance) so we don't have any of the questions you are now facing.

MikeG.":8meafxnk said:
Sheptonphil":8meafxnk said:
........On the planning application I was told dimensions are not required..........

Local authorities vary in their requirements. However, never minding that I always put in dimensions (with a bit of tolerance) so we don't have any of the questions you are now facing.
I’ve learned a lot in this project, right from pre-planning to now. There are a number of things I would have done a little differently.

I don’t think I’ve got a problem, but tomorrow will tell :|

Sheptonphil":5dj9pzsx said:
MikeG.":5dj9pzsx said:
Sheptonphil":5dj9pzsx said:

I’ve learned a lot in this project, right from pre-planning to now. There are a number of things I would have done a little differently.

I don’t think I’ve got a problem, but tomorrow will tell :|
You and me both.

Sadly I'll probably never use much of that knowledge again!

Yhe next project for me like this is a 3 car garage and that will need a nice expensive raft at a minimum. Plus there are some techniques that I think Mike has said won't fly if it's subject to building regs too.

DBT85":166ceops said:
.......there are some techniques that I think Mike has said won't fly if it's subject to building regs too.

Careful, though, because the Regs which apply to garages are only a select few of the total. So some of those which would apply to, say, a bigger workshop would not necessarily apply to a workshop......so stuff I said might be an issue might not be for a garage.

MikeG.":g391o11v said:
DBT85":g391o11v said:
.......there are some techniques that I think Mike has said won't fly if it's subject to building regs too.

Careful, though, because the Regs which apply to garages are only a select few of the total. So some of those which would apply to, say, a bigger workshop would not necessarily apply to a workshop......so stuff I said might be an issue might not be for a garage.
You know where I'll be coming for advice before it begins!

Planning enforcement arrived at 2pm. A ‘concern’ had been raised by a person that the build was larger than the approved plan. Officer was superb, told he had to go through the motions by his boss, so here he was. He showed me the spec based on my scale plans. I was under width by 200mm, ridge by 50mm and length was spot on. He was happy everything was fine and signed it off. He did say he’d looked at the photo sent in and the plan, and couldn’t see a problem, but was told to pop round to cross Ts.

Got the first mist coat on the ceilings and walls by 10 o’clock, only took 40 minutes to do the lot with the Graco sprayer. After officer left I put second coat on but won’t clean sprayer out till Sunday to see if it needs another coat. What’s in the pump and line won’t dry out and the spray head is kept in a couple of inches of water to stop it clogging.

Tomorrow sees the fence coming down and the cladding done, hopefully. This is the only bit I need very slight access on neighbours land, less than I need to put the fence back up, but need some just to crouch, stand and give ladder an angle. I think he will play ball, but there is a slight niggle he will be awkward. I shall know by mid morning. :(

A6C1709C-977E-4F01-97FF-85CB595C4A3D.jpeg

DF716C48-DED1-4F39-BEA8-05E7BCC09D78.jpeg

Attachments

• A6C1709C-977E-4F01-97FF-85CB595C4A3D.jpeg
    A6C1709C-977E-4F01-97FF-85CB595C4A3D.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DF716C48-DED1-4F39-BEA8-05E7BCC09D78.jpeg
    DF716C48-DED1-4F39-BEA8-05E7BCC09D78.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 140
Good to hear there are no issues with the build.

If I may suggest. After the fence is down and removed, lay a tarp on the ground while you work and as soon as you are done for the day roll it and the debris up so the neighbour can't complain about dropped nails or sawdust etc being left behind. Just don't leave it overnight. Yellow grass and all that. ;)

Pete

Latest posts

Back