New Workshop Build?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After many months planning and even more months building I am reaching the end of the construction of my new workshop and am nearly ready to move in.

Many members of this forum have been invaluable in helping me with questions and with their great and detailed workshop build posts so thanks all!

Here is a pic of the "nearly ready" workshop:

P1000529.jpg

I hope to post more pics and info as I get time as I have learnt so much and would do several things different if I did it again!

Thanks
MrD

Nice one, thanks for posting.
MrD":1og3bm7o said:
I have learnt so much and would do several things different if I did it again!
This doesn't sound like the usual mindless chit chat - go on, what would you do differently?

Hi Triggaaar,

I will explain as I post more pics and descriptions but quickly:

1. Beef up the foundations - amazed at how much weight they have to hold even before the tools go in!
2. Apply for planning permission and make the roof higher - will annoy me I am sure
3. Get some help - doing all this nearly single handed was hard

Thanks
MrD

Looks like a decent size. How big is it? Would also be nice to have some finished shots of the inside, once you've got everything sorted! :D :wink:

MrD":1aoxy5lo said:
1. Beef up the foundations - amazed at how much weight they have to hold even before the tools go in!
2. Apply for planning permission and make the roof higher - will annoy me I am sure
3. Get some help - doing all this nearly single handed was hard
All nice to have, but all would cost you, so depends how much money you can justify for the job. I've had help building my new guest house & shed, but I'm quite jealous of what Dibs has managed on his own here

I hope you have thought about security - the front-doors which I assume will be glass panelled - will allow anyone to see what you have got, and get it quite easily. Otherwise, it's a great looking workshop. I know how hard it can be to do on your own, you've done a great job.

Hi,

The workshop is 4.5m * 3m and is a nice size for me.

Security is a concern so I will have blinds on my windows and several good locks. The insides of the doors will be 12mm ply so very sturdy and I have security firedoor hinges and strong double glazing.

I went for 10mm armoured cable as people here suggest - was not too bad as I got it trade (£60 for 20m)

Here are some more pics:

P1000475.JPG

P1000476.JPG

P1000479.JPG

P1000480.JPG

P1000482.JPG

P1000486.JPG

P1000490.JPG

P1000492.JPG

P1000500.JPG

P1000506.JPG

P1000508.JPG

P1000517.JPG

P1000524.JPG

P1000534.JPG

P1000537.JPG

I hope you have thought about security - the front-doors which I assume will be glass paneled - will allow anyone to see what you have got, and get it quite easily.

This was my first thought to! I moved into my new shop thinking of how lovely it is to have so many windows looking onto the garden *birds whistling*
Second night in one of those windows were broken without us hearing anything at all and my tools were nicked! The next day the windows were boarded up and an alarm system was installed. I'm still replacing stolen tools and will be for some time...

That being said i sure miss being able to see outside while working.

Windows - I thought about them too. Natural light is a definte yes - but having all my gear nicked isn't. So laminated glass on both sides of the DG unit. With steel "shutters" on the inside - pad locked when I'm not in.

Not to mention the window film you find on commercial windows (bronze colour).

Alarm obligatory. PIR's and Viper shock sensors on the windows\doors and door contacts.

I'd certainly recommend smartwater - makes it that just more unplatable for the theiving scumbags.

Built a shed and put £1000's worth of gear in there - start thinking like a thief! If not get the local crime prevenation officer round for an assessment. Better still if you manage to speak to their Scenes of Crimes people - they are more likely to tell you how the scum are likely to get in based on your setup.

An odd thing the crime lab told me to do is put down cardboard where they would have to step. Apparently they solve a lot of crimes by footprints and cardboard is the best way to get imprints.

Because of the dusty nature of workshops finger prints are near impossible to lift even when it looks like there is a print to lift.

wow - you guys must live in bad areas!

My last house I was burgled twice in one year but they did not touch my shed.

Thanks for the insight.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter where you live these days to be the victim of crime.

I live in a small town with low levels of crime but still have a GSM alarm fitted to my shed so that I can sleep well at night.

It has the feature to ring a series of pre-defined numbers as well as text me that the alarm has activated wherever I am. I can then listen in to hear what is going on and alert plod if necessary or reset the alarm remotely. If I don't answer the call it will then ring 5 other numbers as a back up. As an added bonus it also has a smokealarm as standard. All this is wireless and takes no time to set up.

The alarm cost me under £200 which is alot but replacing my tools would be substantially more and I couldn't afford to do so.

To find out more Google GSM.

IMHO Get it alarmed - keep them babys safe - and sleep well at night :D :D

NewtoWood":1w63l4co said:
I... have a GSM alarm

It has the feature to ring a series of pre-defined numbers as well as text me that the alarm has activated wherever I am. I can then listen in to hear what is going on and alert plod if necessary or reset the alarm remotely.
Wow that sounds impressive. Is it just linked to your home phone number - EDIT - googling suggests it comes with it's own SIM. I guess I should be getting a decent alarm, as there's a few tools (not in league of others here) and a guest house attached.

Hi Trig,

The alarm system comes with a mobile phone sim which means it does not need to be connected to a BT line. I used the cheapest one I could find and occasionally top the sim up with credit if I accidentally set the alarm off without realising it (SWMBO gets the call and gets all snappy :D ).

Here is the link to the place I got mine and they are more than happy to chat away and sort the right system out and answer any questions you may have.

http://getanalarm.co.uk/wireless-burgla ... rod_18.php

There are plenty of other suppliers too which can be found by doing a quick web search.

MrD, sorry if I'm taking your thread off topic, hopefully this could be useful to you too.
NewtoWood":34wfse6j said:
Here is the link to the place I got mine and they are more than happy to chat away and sort the right system out and answer any questions you may have.
Thanks, I'm busy checking out the options. I was planning on getting a wired house alarm at some point, and connecting the outbuildings to that, and I had budgeted about £500, but if these GSM style alarms could work with both buildings it could be a good option.

I do love a workshop build thread. Looks good. Wish I had the room here :(

MrD can you talk a bit about the floor level insulation. I something like kingspan. what went under it? It looks like you completely sealed the insualted layer in before building the structure on top. Was there any damp proofing?

Triggaaar":68tm3zkm said:
Thanks, I'm busy checking out the options. I was planning on getting a wired house alarm at some point, and connecting the outbuildings to that, and I had budgeted about £500, but if these GSM style alarms could work with both buildings it could be a good option.

As I'm renovating the house and replacing it's alarm system - it makes sense to just up the system to a commercial level one that can cope with the house, garage and workshops. Some of these units can dial out on a landline, email via LAN\WAN and SMS via GSM.

The attraction with the commercial level systems is that they are programmed via laptop\lead and you can group sensors into areas and can designate areas on a room basis or otherwise. The system can be armed completely or dis-armed completely and individual codes can either disarm completely or partially. Sounds complicated but setup is a relative doddle.

They use the same components (contacts, sensors, etc.) as domestic systems and the panels cost <£300 and that's with most of the bits. Best is that you can identify which actual sensor (out of 4 or 5 in a room) triggered as opposed to which zone (with a multitude of sensors wired in series or parallel).

Then there DVr's - these can SMS or email when motion is triggered and are easily accessible\controllable over the web. Prices are modest as opposed to eye watering.

Horses for courses ultimately - but I'd rather build security in rather than come back to it after a break in.

Dibs-h":1n8c5t96 said:
As I'm renovating the house and replacing it's alarm system - it makes sense to just up the system to a commercial level one that can cope with the house, garage and workshops.
Thanks, could you link to the ones you're looking at

Great workshop, I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding mine next year, just one daft question how have you fixed the cladding, so it doesn't warp in the sun? My old shed has a similar cladding but its nailed on and in direct sun it does warp.

Back