New workshop authorised by Mrs H - help with costings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two entirely different pieces of legislation but, in a nutshell:
Planning permission concerns what is allowed under laws that deal with how a building will look (size, materials. colours, height etc).
Building Regulations cover how the structure is actually built; safety, sound insulation, thermal insulation, electrical installation (domestic) etc.
There is more but that should do for now.

Cheers.

SF

Thanks - anyone got any idea whether building regs consent/approval is normally needed for something like this - a domestic workshop?

Simply put, everything should comply with the building regulations. Whether you need to pay their fees to have it inspected is another matter and I can't advise on most things.

The electrical side of things will definitely need building regs approval if you intend doing the work yourself though. If you will not be doing the electric side of things then you must get a suitably qualified electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme in to do the work.

I have just spoken to Hunts District Coucil re building regs and I do have to apply for buildg regs consent. They want to know every detail of how it is going to be constructed and I have to pay £237 + vat just to apply. What a bargain.

Rob_H":6jo5oj88 said:
I have just spoken to Hunts District Coucil re building regs and I do have to apply for buildg regs consent. They want to know every detail of how it is going to be constructed and I have to pay £237 + vat just to apply. What a bargain.

Hmm, sounds expensive. I paid less than that for some alterations (removing a wall) for my house. Are you sure they haven't determined a "value" for your building which seriously exceeds the actual cost and bumped the fee up as a result?

Adam

Rob_H":2qw5x7hw said:
They want to know every detail of how it is going to be constructed

I vaguely remember that it becomes important to building control over a certain floor size due to factors such as if it snows, and has several feet on top of it, can the roof support it etc.

Adam

Yes, the load bearing element was one thing - the amount of snow the roof could hold etc. Trouble is they don't seem very good at telling you what would meet building regs. They want structural drawings, an examination of the concrete base before the concrete is poured etc. I want a decent concrete base but no one seems to know exactly what hardcore, thickness etc would meeting building regs. There seems no definititve answer but tehy will tell you when you are doing it wrong. The trouble is I need to know how to do it right first time so I can get accurate quotes. Sorry, I'm ranting now. It started off as such a simple project.

Rob_H":j6iykjbu said:
Yes, the load bearing element was one thing - the amount of snow the roof could hold etc. Trouble is they don't seem very good at telling you what would meet building regs. They want structural drawings, an examination of the concrete base before the concrete is poured etc. I want a decent concrete base but no one seems to know exactly what hardcore, thickness etc would meeting building regs. There seems no definititve answer but tehy will tell you when you are doing it wrong. The trouble is I need to know how to do it right first time so I can get accurate quotes. Sorry, I'm ranting now. It started off as such a simple project.

Could you ask them at what size the threshold is that it becomes "under their juristiction?" The reason I ask is that you can see a variety of examples of workshops on here, and at the point you have to show a design that is really in depth, you'd be better off forming two workshops, with a corridor to join them, or indeed "join" them later if you know what I mean :wink: . Do they fully understand that this is a shed? Don't mention the word workshop - its a garden "shed". A non habitable, non commercial, temporary wooden structure. Also, there is are two ways to notify building control. If you submit plans, they will review them. Alternatively, you can just supply a building control notice. They cost about the same but one is a serious amount less work. If you split the sheds into two, to get the area "under" the size they bother about then you can do much easier back of the fag packet calculations e.g. 4 inch concrete etc. Its essential to get over its only a shed I think.

Adam

Rob
I was in the same situation when I wanted to self build an extension on the house (size fell within the permitted development allowance)
However after paying the fee I requested a visit from the assigned inspector. When she arrived I explained I had very little knowledge (an O level in building construction) about the type of questions you are facing.
She explained that this was not a problem and enjoyed working with amateurs and would offer all the advice she could. She made regular visits and held my hand through out the project. There was a couple of thing I wanted to do but was told those would require calculations from a structural engineer but we found compromises that she was happy to pass.
I found working with the building inspector extremely enjoyable.
My advice would be if you have to get building control, pay the fee request a kick off visit and ask your questions.
Also I found that the project goes much smoother if you work with the inspector and gain his/her trust :wink:

Andy

Have made the mistake of calling it a workshop already albeit I have explained it is a hobby one for domestic use only. I did consider the two buildings idea. Building regs have now said I can submit a BUILDING CONTROL NOTICE but that they will probably want to see ENGINEER'S plans of both the building and the base. This seems a little excessive as have just had a rough ballpark figure of £1,000 + VAT for this. This will kill off the project if this happens as it is started to get silly now.

Hi Rob, Mine is 24' x 13' and I built it myself in timber. (See my avatar) It looks the part and houses all of my equipment. It is insulated and has full electrics along with double glazing. Cost was around £2000 but may be a little more now of course as this was about a year ago. :wink:

mailee":k0ffai1k said:
Hi Rob, Mine is 24' x 13' and I built it myself in timber. (See my avatar) It looks the part and houses all of my equipment. It is insulated and has full electrics along with double glazing. Cost was around £2000 but may be a little more now of course as this was about a year ago. :wink:
How on earth do you build something like this, I want to build one but don't have the know how or the confidence :?
I even got hold of some plans but they were neither use nor ornament, I just don't have a clue :oops:

Rob_H":1aj1u5wc said:
Have made the mistake of calling it a workshop already albeit I have explained it is a hobby one for domestic use only. I did consider the two buildings idea. Building regs have now said I can submit a BUILDING CONTROL NOTICE but that they will probably want to see ENGINEER'S plans of both the building and the base. This seems a little excessive as have just had a rough ballpark figure of £1,000 + VAT for this. This will kill off the project if this happens as it is started to get silly now.

You are going to have to get out of that. You need to make clear you want to know the maximum limits for a garden shed without it becoming subject to building control. There is absolutely now reason they should not provide you with a number. Its simply inconceivable that its that expensive. I paid only couple of hundred for a structural engineer to attend my property take all the measurements and make the load calculations for removing the wall.

Regardless, you need to restart the conversation. Tell them you want to know exactly the internal floor space beyond which if becomes subject to building control and as I said, its going to be a non commercial, not habitable shed. Go and talk to them again and see what they say!

Adam

motownmartin, look through the workshop threads and copy and paste the bits that you need to build your workshop to a file. Then read and re-read adding or taking away until you have all the items for the build. If you want any questions answered, post, and then add this to your workshop file. there's plenty of people here to help you.

Shultzy":azc6p1hw said:
motownmartin, look through the workshop threads and copy and paste the bits that you need to build your workshop to a file. Then read and re-read adding or taking away until you have all the items for the build. If you want any questions answered, post, and then add this to your workshop file. there's plenty of people here to help you.

Yes, there are plenty of peeps to help and plenty of threads to follow, it's the know how that I don't have, are there any useful easy to follow books I can get :?:

I'm still too scared to attempt it, I reckon that I would have the most wonkey worshop in Britain :lol:

motownmartin":kqq6yssw said:
I'm still too scared to attempt it, I reckon that I would have the most wonkey worshop in Britain :lol:

You'll have to go some to compete with me on that front!!

At the end of the day, it really doesnt matter, as long as your roof is good and the thing is water tight you're onto a winner.

Just go for it. I had never as much as built an airfix model before doing my workshop, but plenty of questions asking and reading of past threads got me through, and of course a kind visit from Mel who helped a great deal with my roof problem.

Just think of it as a giant mechano project.

Adam":30u9mnoa said:
You are going to have to get out of that. You need to make clear you want to know the maximum limits for a garden shed without it becoming subject to building control. There is absolutely now reason they should not provide you with a number. Its simply inconceivable that its that expensive. I paid only couple of hundred for a structural engineer to attend my property take all the measurements and make the load calculations for removing the wall.

Regardless, you need to restart the conversation. Tell them you want to know exactly the internal floor space beyond which if becomes subject to building control and as I said, its going to be a non commercial, not habitable shed. Go and talk to them again and see what they say!

Adam

I submitted building notice today referring to it everywhere as a large shed!!!

Rob
It won't make any difference what you call it. If your building is substantially built of non combustible materials and it is not to be used for sleeping accommodation it will be exempt if it has a floor area of no more than 30 square metres. Any larger and it needs a Building Regulation application.
If you need it bigger than that you will have to go through the application procedure. If you reduce the size you will be constructing an exempt structure and you can withraw your application.
Hope that helps a bit.

SF

Back