New Website - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First impression as soon as I opened the page was to wonder if that trepanning head operation was being done under the NHS or privately. The picture that goes with 'About Us'.

Will have a closer look later.

Roger

Certainly an improvement Bradley. Something needs to be done about the typeface of the links. I'd certainly loose the underline. I think also those link images need tarting up. They would look much nicer if they were square IMO. Also praps a border or something around the main page would look better. At the moment it just kinda washes out into nothing.

Really good clear pictures with precise text that is easy to read. Not too sure about the sandwich board pictures above 'home' and 'contact', they could be either changed or made clearer by using an image compressor.

Ian

I'm also in the process of updating my site, easier said than done.

Personally, I'd rather see more quality pictures, maybe its worth hiring a photographer for the day to take some shots of some of your local work.

Seems you've done some great pieces and I'm sure nicer/bigger shots would improve your site 10 fold.

Russ

RogerS":6w5b8wub said:
First impression as soon as I opened the page was to wonder if that trepanning head operation was being done under the NHS or privately. The picture that goes with 'About Us'.

Will have a closer look later.

Roger

You've changed it!

I did like your original homepage and prefer it, to be honest. I like the welcoming style and approach that that gave. This one seems a bit.too clinical?..To be honest, Brad, I'm not sure why you'd want to chnage your original site as it semeed pretty good to me.

I find the all white background tiring on the eyes.

I don't like the defocussing dissolve between images in the slideshow.

Bigger/brighter pictures maybe (huh..I'm a fine one to talk). Also the comment re professional photographer is very apposite and equally applies to my site. It's all about decent lighting.

Hi Brad
I'm afraid I agree with Roger - I preferred your previous site. And that blurred transition is ghastly.

Sorry, I know thyat's not what you wanted to hear.

Cheers
Steve

yip nice, but lose the flash , find it very irritating on sites

regards
Jim

I don't like the abrupt image transistions. It looks very amateurish - I appreciate that it could look too professional and have people wondering what exactly are they paying for - but this is nowhere near the middle. It amost seems this website has missed all the advances in CSS and layout over the last umpteen years.

I would certainkly recommend browsing sites like www.stylegala.com or even places like

http://www.csselite.com/
http://www.css20.com/

Whilst some of them will not be suitable for you - you'll certainly get plenty of ideas. I admire your work but as the website is the 1st port of call for some - it should be more reflective of the calibre of your work.

A website should be like a workshop - none of us start off with the perfect workshop, it evolves slowly over time. In the same way you should get the basics right and then add to it. For instance get the layout\presentation\navigation in the right ballpark and then later one could add other functionality - such as a LightBox to show photos, etc. That's assuming you like LightBox.:wink:

HIH

Dibs

Better, Brad, much better.

At the risk of sounding picky, you should have an apostophe in "the cabinetmakers workshop"

Of course, where exactly you put it is up to you!

The cabinetmaker's workshop
This workshop belongs to the cabinetmaker.

The cabinetmakers' workshop
This workshop belongs to the cabinetmakers.

But you knew that already.

The point is, if your customers are the more affluent, they may well be the more educated too and they will pick up on that and may infer negatively from that about qualities and standards within the business.

Of course, that's only if they are nit-picking pedants with nothing better to do with their time than criticize other people's work.

Guilty as charged.

S

Bradley, those little slide show widgets are totally unnecessary IMHO. They take an age to load too.

What software did you use to design it, Brad?

BradNaylor":5ozjngvv said:
Thanks for the responses guys, I've taken your comments on board and spent an hour doing a little 'tweaking'.

I think it's getting better - what do you think?

Brad

Yes definitely better! Still somewhat to go.

Rather than plaster "the cabinetmakers Workshop" all over the top - I think you would be well served by some sort of logo thingymajig. It may still end up as nothing more than text, but the right font, spacing etc can do wonders.

I'd loose the white text - it doesn't make for readability. You may want to make better use of the colour pallette - have a look at

http://www.colorcombos.com/

some of the better articles are linked at the bottom. Failing that, look at CSS galleries and see what sort of colour combinations are being used.

Imagine it was a billboard or a magazine page layout - do you think people would stop and look at it or buy it? After all that is what you are expecting.

I would break you navigation into the basics, i.e.

- who
- where
- what
- etc

You may want to then have a submenu for the what as you may wish to show a portfolio of work broken up into categories.

Photo's - should be given centre stage rather that just made do. That's why I like LightBoxes. I'd loose the flash.

Dibs

Seems good, but I'd work on the images a bit Brad, just give them to someone who can photoshop them, they look very "staggered lined".
We have had this discussion before but I really don't like pictures of the workshop, always looks a mess however tidy it is, the pictures of yourselves are unnecessary as well, but thats my opinion and I know you suggested that I put my pic on my site so guess its horses for courses.

Steve Maskery":1mb5gb3o said:
At the risk of sounding picky, you should have an apostophe in "the cabinetmakers workshop"

Of course, where exactly you put it is up to you!

The cabinetmaker's workshop
This workshop belongs to the cabinetmaker.

The cabinetmakers' workshop
This workshop belongs to the cabinetmakers.

But you knew that already.

The point is, if your customers are the more affluent, they may well be the more educated too and they will pick up on that and may infer negatively from that about qualities and standards within the business.

Of course, that's only if they are nit-picking pedants with nothing better to do with their time than criticize other people's work.

Guilty as charged.

S

I tried 'the cabinetmakers' workshop' but even though it is technically correct it just looked wrong as a name.

I would far rather be accused of leaving out an apostrophe than be guilty of the heinous crime of inserting an inappropriate one.

Overly pedantic customers I can do without!

:wink:

Rob_H":1mb5gb3o said:
What software did you use to design it, Brad?

I used Serif WebPlus X2 - £40 at PC World.

Cheers
Brad

Doctor":3h5qjhy8 said:
We have had this discussion before but I really don't like pictures of the workshop, always looks a mess however tidy it is, the pictures of yourselves are unnecessary as well, but thats my opinion and I know you suggested that I put my pic on my site so guess its horses for courses.

I think we are aiming at different markets, Bob.

You are going for the aspirational sell to seriously wealthy clients.

We meanwhile, are selling our services as friendly neighbourhood furniture makers to middle of the road customers who like to think that they have found and supported a local artisan.

The last thing we want is a super slick 'professional' website that makes us look like a big company. The 'down-home' look is very deliberate and appeals to the type of client we want to attract.

I don't know how you cope with your rich customers. I always end up wanting to thump them!

:lol:

Brad

I have lovely customers, I think in total over the last 6 years I have had 2 which I found frustrating to work for. All have paid every penny.

I still think you need better pictures.

Latest posts

Back