New Website - opinions needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one thing to add to everyone else's comments. I use Firefox and not IE, and I get no response when clicking on the up/down buttons on your gallery page (I have checked using IE just to see what response I should get and definitely doesn't do anything in Firefox).

It may be that I don't have a specific plug in, but I have checked and I don't appear to be missing anything, other than a few marbles...

Cheers

Mark

Too slow download and I've got broadband. So haven't been able to look at it, a complete fall at the first fence, 0 out of 10. Hopeless.
Flash really gets in the way as everybody else seems to be saying. Otherwise may well be excellent for all I know.

cheers
Jacob
PS it finally turned up. Lot of the text hard to read cos too small and you can't adjust it. Grey opening screen and black background don't help.
Furniture looks interesting though.

I concur with what everyone else has said.

Any website that hijacks my browser buttons doesn't get revisited nor does it get any business.

I find the transitions between buttons nauseous.

Very nice desk though....one day maybe I can make something as good?

I'm afraid I agree. The site doesn't work properly in Firefox and Flash is just awful in almost all applications.

WiZeR":2aswxckc said:
I'm afraid I agree. The site doesn't work properly in Firefox and Flash is just awful in almost all applications.

I'm another one in total agreement. Has anyone tried it using Safari? Even with my 8MB broadband downlink it took too long to load and I REALLY object to sites that hijack my browser buttons :evil: Nice picture though!

You can have animations without using a 100% Flash site - pop-ups and roll-overs, animated gif's etc. I'm not a fan of pop-ups (they're blocked on my Firefox browser unless I allow them), but mouse rollovers work very well and I designed some simple ones for my wife's website.

I don't know whether you are using something like Dreamweaver to build your site but if you are most of the animations mentioned by WHW can be found in there. You can still use Flash and your idea of using a zoom feature is good but if you do you need to have it as an option that you link to not as part of the main site allowing the average browser to navigate the main site easily and the more interested to go and look at detail.

I use Opera and it all works OK for me, just really slowly. Using HTTP and javascript would give you plenty of scope for fancy design without bogging it down so much.

If it ends up looking half as good as your woodwork you'll be on a winner.
Pete

So flash is out of the window by an overwhelming majority it seems...

I have tried to address all the comments here and have produced an updated version using html and CSS.

Please be gentle on the content side as it needs more tuning. But this is just to check the mechanics of the site - ie navigation, legibility and accessibility.

Again, thanks for all your comments and I look forward to this evenings critique...
:D

http://www.mark-hopkins.co.uk

My instant feeling as soon as the page loads (which was fast) without having read a word or clicked a link is "WOW" Thats a huge improvment. First impressions as I say without looking closely at all is that it's bright clean fresh & inviting. Now Ill have a closer look and report back
(ps I presume you got that screenshot I sent you?)

EDIT
Im back
Apart from the content all being the same and none of the menu items or side bar links actually working. Id say thats a nice looking site.
Your markup however is not valid XHTML 1.0 transitional as claimed by your doctype if thats important to you, but if it is then it wouldn't be difficult to fix. Your server seems a little slow, pages a bit slow to load - that might be my connection at the moment.
I like the google maps page as well. Nice site (vast improvement) Good looking gallery, I look forward to seeing the finished site with all your final content.

Another Edit
The typography of the heading doesn't work too well for me. I would open up the line spacing a wee bit.

And another edit
That's a stunning desk by the way. Even more so now I can see it clearly. :)

And yet another edit.
Why not just open the google maps lightbox graphic from the "find us" menu item rather than opening a new page with a click here link on? Why waste the clicks?

Cheers Mike

wow I didnt see that coming. Superb. A Million times better

Lots better. Could do with a margin left and right. This on mac with safari.
Links don't work but I guess this is work in progress.
Hope it brings in the punters :D

cheers
Jacob

Much much better - glad you took all the advice that was given!

I feel that the navigation links need a bit of whitespace between them and the top-image, they feel a litte cramped, about 10-15px should do it.

Typography is clean, as jacob says, maybe a teeny bit extra on the margins.

These are two very minor things however, you've done well. Will be looking forward to seeing the content and pics of your work!

Much better :wink: Just one small point which grates with me - under "Latest News" you have "Corian Bathroom Vanity Sink". Sinks go in kitchens, bathrooms have basins.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1uaved3s said:
Much better :wink: Just one small point which grates with me - under "Latest News" you have "Corian Bathroom Vanity Sink". Sinks go in kitchens, bathrooms have basins.

Paul
Oooh didn't know that. :shock: What about buckets then? Permitted in barth rooms?

cheers
Jacob

Vast improvement. :D

Personally I'm not keen on the lightbox script you've used for the images but that's probably just me. The whole site is much cleaner and fresher and allows your work to do the talking. Looking forward to seeing it completed

Dave :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I've adjusted the leading on the Main title - just a bit of CSS tweaking.

I changed the 'sink' to 'basin' and we also have a few buckets in the timber store :?

Its a lightroom derivative called 'thickbox' - I'm quite pleased with the effect as it means I can get some high resolution detail shots in there without having to preload or sneaky load as I did in flash.

Do you have any other suggestions for the gallery - i'd be interested in any alternatives.

Not sure what you mean about the 'margins' though??? can you be a little more descriptive?

More tweaking on the content now. Text wise and structured photos. I'm interested in some 'HowTo' galleries. We'll probably do that with the Art Deco piece.

Not sure about the validation of XHTML tho. Any tips? It would be good to account for a standard and make a point of it on the website. Especially the accessible aspects.

Again, thanks for the constructive criticism. Its been a pleasure.

Right, now I've got to write my best mans speech for tomorrow...

anybody got any ideas? :lol:

punkrockdad":2at09tss said:
Right, now I've got to write my best mans speech for tomorrow...

anybody got any ideas? :lol:

Keep it short; speak up; and before you stand up make sure your fly is done up :lol: Good luck :wink:

Paul

this one always goes down well:

What's the difference between Inlaws and Outlaws..... Outlaws are wanted

Boom Boom

Latest posts

Back