New ventures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brill88

Tom Brill general woodworker and woodsman
Reaction score
I hope this is allowed. I’ll begin pre lockdown I was suffering with my Crohn’s disease a fair bit and joint pain well it’s only gone and gotten worse so not able to do the hard physical work I’ve been accustomed to as frustrating as that is I’ve sort out new ventures one of which is an Etsy shop and doing prints and t shirts as I’m also an artist of sorts question is what would you like to see on t shirts as I’m focusing on old crafts. Here’s some images of what I have so far let me know what you think and any ideas you may have in working on a nice plane design at the moment.

I’m also looking at what I could make from wood that can be mailed easily I’ve been thinking of coat hooks but nice onse of course.

EC87B19E-C335-4D88-8E10-3BBE436738BA.jpeg
E9E2DA04-FAB2-40E7-9B0C-813D46D2A127.jpeg
F5926AD5-F333-40D3-BA9B-E5F69EBCF81D.jpeg
F5926AD5-F333-40D3-BA9B-E5F69EBCF81D.jpeg
825C6DE4-4081-42C6-AB49-5357F880985D.jpeg
6B8797AF-CCF3-430D-987B-6B37EF915EDB.jpeg
5B1B62A4-77C9-4209-BC4A-FE6B6E95D1F6.jpeg
A2919180-F678-4745-863C-804269A7D6C6.jpeg
69B8323F-07FA-4133-9F77-04E486CDE795.jpeg
E95E9DEB-74CD-4BA3-B098-34E103C2AFDC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear you’ve got problems, I like the look of your T-shirts, how about thisi, I developed this beach hut key ring holder for my ex to knock together and sell at craft fairs and I have several and a pile of bits, all the jigs and artwork, It took a long time to get it right and the jigs make it so much easier to make.
I was just thinking the other day about putting it on here to sell it as a business opportunity, £150, interested?
0BABC4FA-0918-4241-899B-2BDAE233696B.jpeg

Last edited:
It was going to be sandy balls but my ex drew a line, even though there is actually a campsite called that!
Each beach hut came with a little pile of names so that you could pick the one you wanted, and a blank so that you could write your own. Ian

Last edited:
Love the drawings, number 3 is a bit too North American for my taste, but t-shirts showing trad wookworking practices are cool in my eyes. It could be a rather niche market thought, so perhaps a selection covering all the trad crafts, each one comes with a leaflet describing the craft and what the individual is doing.

I like the logo a lot, agree about the third one being a bit american, the axe head is also the wrong way around which bugs me a little bit, however I like the style they are drawn in and it looks hand drawn which I am a big fan of, sorry to hear about your health problems.

I found etsy to be a bit hit and miss, I didn't manage to sell anything on it but didn't have a logo or anything fancy, it wasn't t-shirts but I had a few things, boxes, door wedges, small tables, and some furniture, people even had the cheek on here to tell me it's too expensive 🤨

Last edited:
I dont really have an axe to grind, but there's a certain irony for me drop shipping (i assume) digitally printed t-shirts on a website that touts itself as "hand made".

The image below -

825c6de4-4081-42c6-ab49-5357f880985d-jpeg.108788

Theyre not real product. The folds in the shirts are all identical. Im assuming they're a preview from one of the many DTG companies.

Which, again, is fine, and i have no real problem with at all. Its just a feature of our lives where someone walks around in a shirt advertising how "in touch" they are, when, really, the whole object itself is a complete contradiction to that.

But, if you can make some coin doing it, and people get pleasure from it, then thats all good.

I like the logo a lot, agree about the third one being a bit american, the axe head is also the wrong way around which bugs me a little bit, however I like the style they are drawn in and it looks hand drawn which I am a big fan of, sorry to hear about your health problems.

I found etsy to be a bit hit and miss, I didn't manage to sell anything on it but didn't have a logo or anything fancy, it wasn't t-shirts but I had a few things, boxes, door wedges, small tables, and some furniture, people even had the cheek on here to tell me it's too expensive 🤨

The axe is proper. The poll is being used to drive wedges.

Not going to lie, though, from any distance, 99 percent of folks passing by a wearer of that shirt are going to see a phallus.

Echoing the sentiment of others, etsy works well only if you have something no one else has, or if you're willing to sell something in demand at a loss. I sold a couple of hundred Japanese stones through it only because I was honest and aiming to break even after keeping a few. Selling for profit at any margin would've been a waste of time.

Thanks guys and some images may work better than others I’m still finding my feet with it all all useful input as for making wooden objects I’m looking at green woodworking and making coat hooks as they’ll be easy to ship and can make them fairly easily and cheaply

Back