new user

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpw123

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself as a new user ( hope i'm posting this in right place :D )
My name is john & i currently live in lancashire on a narrowboat that i fit out myself, assisted by my wife
i hasten to add ( just in case she stumbles on to this page :D )
i am currently using a hobbies treadle saw, variable speed , depending on how tired my legs are on the day :lol: to cut various projects in ply etc. During the summer months we travel the canal & river system so if you see a guy treadling away at the side of the canal stop by for a chat. I might even put a brew on or if i say pretty please to wife we may get a biscuit as well. :D
I have often browsed the forums without posting but now ive dipped my toe in the water so to speak i hope to be regular contributer to this great site. As leonard nimoy once said "live long & prosper "

John

Hi John and welcome to the forum! not many canals around here so don't i'll spot ya but would love to see some of the goods your peddling 9-) sorry lol
Tis great weather for boats tonight up here! our fields are all flooded along with the farm track we call a road but its winter and makes a change from the tropical sunshine we normally have.
Cheers and have fun
Brian

Welcome to the Forum John.

I remember when I was a youngster my older brother had a Hobbies treadle saw such as yours didn't think any still existed.
I used to watch him on his machine fascinated by the way he used to cut out fine fretsaw work. I often think about him and his
fretsaw. I have been inspired by him and his saw, because twenty years ago I bought one with a motor A Hegner multicut 1 I progressed to a multicut 2 variable speed, while I am using my scrollsaw I often think about my brother and how he managed with his treadle saw keeping a constant momentum. Why not post some of your work on the forum I for one would like to your work .

Harry

Hi John. A very warm welcome to the forum. I envy you living on a narrow boat. It was my dream when I got married to live the same lifestyle but my new wife would have none of it. Also wanted to sail across the channel to France, down through the canal system to the Med and then up to the Adriatic but again she would have none of it.

Welcome to the forum, John. I had to let my treadle saws go as my little legs couldn't reach the pedals. :) I'll watch out for you if you get over to Stanley Ferry.

Welcome John from another John!

I still have my Hobbies A1 Treadle machine and various Hobbies Hand-frames although nowadays I use my Hegner as I find it easier than both the Treadle and the frames.

My A1 belonged to my Grandfather in the early 1900's then my father and I took it over in 1963, hopefully one of my grandsons will cherish it when I am gone.

Hi all,
thanks for the warm welcome, i particulaly like the comment about leaving a hobbies to the grandson :) i have two grandsons at the moment, 2½ & 6 months can't wait till i can get them in the shed & show them the joy of working & making an item out of wood. Not sure what my daughter will have to say about it of course. sharp tools & all that. i emailed her a quote i found online one day. it went something like this :-

grandads are here to teach their grandchildren mischief they havn't thought of yet :) (hammer)

thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome

John

Claymore":1xmt5vb2 said:
Hi John and welcome to the forum! not many canals around here so don't i'll spot ya but would love to see some of the goods your peddling 9-) sorry lol
Tis great weather for boats tonight up here! our fields are all flooded along with the farm track we call a road but its winter and makes a change from the tropical sunshine we normally have.
Cheers and have fun
Brian

hi brian, in not so sunny lancashire we too have had some heavy gales & rain but from what the news as reported i think we have got off light compared to yourself.
the gales were really strong & i was glad i'd dropped my solar panels flat & fastened down, still rattled a bit in the middle of the night :roll:

John

jpw123":1z4w1lmv said:
Hi all,
thanks for the warm welcome, i particulaly like the comment about leaving a hobbies to the grandson :) i have two grandsons at the moment, 2½ & 6 months can't wait till i can get them in the shed & show them the joy of working & making an item out of wood. Not sure what my daughter will have to say about it of course. sharp tools & all that. i emailed her a quote i found online one day. it went something like this :-

I have to be honest I don't have much confidence in youngsters becoming woodwork or even craft fans, when I was a lad in the 1960's we were always doing something such as model making, woodwork or Meccano we even spent hours with plasticine but all today's youngsters want to do is play with gadgets like the tablet or suchlike.

My grandsons are age 7 and 11 and although they have both shown some interest in woodwork and the older one has used my Hegner I would not say that either of them are that keen on the subject, I made junior workbenches for both but I don't think they get used much at least not for woodwork!

How many youngsters take up woodwork as a job or even hobby? Very few I would suggest. It is a shame. :)

good morning john,
i agree totally, kids generally are spending far too much time with gadgets, but it as to be hard for parents when the trend is for junior school kids ( are they still called that ? :) ) feel badly done by if they havnt got the latest smart phone etc. i still believe the best we can do as grandparents is give them the time that maybe busy working parents havn't always got. Not sure how they'd feel about taking hammer to ipad though :)
Have a nice day,
John

Lumberman":1l19fih6 said:
Welcome to the Forum John.

I remember when I was a youngster my older brother had a Hobbies treadle saw such as yours didn't think any still existed.
I used to watch him on his machine fascinated by the way he used to cut out fine fretsaw work. I often think about him and his
fretsaw. I have been inspired by him and his saw, because twenty years ago I bought one with a motor A Hegner multicut 1 I progressed to a multicut 2 variable speed, while I am using my scrollsaw I often think about my brother and how he managed with his treadle saw keeping a constant momentum. Why not post some of your work on the forum I for one would like to your work .

Harry

Thanks harry,
it would of been nice if i could have said it was a family heirloom :) but i acquired it off a well known auction site :roll: I make mainly signs/ names etc , nothing really intricate certainly not to the standards i've seen on here. I will post a photo or two as & when i get some on to my computer.
Best wishes, John

jpw123":2d3175q1 said:
good morning john,
i agree totally, kids generally are spending far too much time with gadgets, but it as to be hard for parents when the trend is for junior school kids ( are they still called that ? :) ) feel badly done by if they havnt got the latest smart phone etc. i still believe the best we can do as grandparents is give them the time that maybe busy working parents havn't always got. Not sure how they'd feel about taking hammer to ipad though :)
Have a nice day,
John

This is what I bought my seven yr old grandson for Christmas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Adams-Toy- ... r+Workshop

I have just spent all weekend with my ( surprise) 8 year old Grandon creating all sorts with Mecanno -- The older Grandchildren never really created much with it but this one just loves it and has ditched his Lego

Hope the interest lasts

John

scrimper":1799wux8 said:
jpw123":1799wux8 said:
good morning john,
Have a nice day,
John

This is what I bought my seven yr old grandson for Christmas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Adams-Toy- ... r+Workshop

very nice (hammer) that will keep him out of mischief.

jonluv":3ril2wwg said:
I have just spent all weekend with my ( surprise) 8 year old Grandon creating all sorts with Mecanno -- The older Grandchildren never really created much with it but this one just loves it and has ditched his Lego

Hope the interest lasts

John

hi john, i loved meccano when i was a kid. its funny how one child will be enthralled & others show no interest what so ever. one of my grandson's who is now 2½, has been mad about trains ppracticallyfrom being born. My daughter lives in york & is lucky to have train mmuseumon the doorstep, any rainy days & it a trip for him to stare wide eyed at all the trains :)

Have a nice day,
john

jpw123":2jw4ua1m said:
jonluv":2jw4ua1m said:

Hope the interest lasts

John

hi john, i loved meccano when i was a kid. its funny how one child will be enthralled & others show no interest what so ever. one of my grandson's who is now 2½, has been mad about trains ppracticallyfrom being born. My daughter lives in york & is lucky to have train mmuseumon the doorstep, any rainy days & it a trip for him to stare wide eyed at all the trains :)

Have a nice day,
john

Sorry, dont know what went wrong with spell check, check, check, check, either that or i really am getting old :lol:

Back