New Toys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Kelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Well largely by accident I've ended up with piles of new old tools. Via the joys of ebay I bought the following for a few pennies as a result of the seller not wanting to post them (for obvious reasons) and no-one else wanting to buy them.

planes.JPG

The fore plane and brace are nice specimens.

More excitingly though, got a call from the in-laws saying they'd been at an auction and bought me a box of tools that had come up. Very nice of them, and then they sent me a few photos. There are absolutely tons of tools in the box! In-laws are currently very popular with me. Only problem is that the in-laws have escaped on holiday before I could collect them and so I can't get my hands on them.

DSC04199a%20(Large).JPG

Full-size picture

Luke - you do realise that forum rules dictate that a gloat like that has to be followed by detailed pictures of each tool being brought back into usable condition - and A LOT of grovelling to the rest of us who feel more than a bit green!

Seriously though that's a nice haul with some attractive pieces in it.

What's the tool at the front of your first picture? I can't tell if it's a very large spokeshave or an augur with a short bit.

Andy

AndyT":9kmikrtz said:
Luke - you do realise that forum rules dictate that a gloat like that has to be followed by detailed pictures of each tool being brought back into usable condition - and A LOT of grovelling to the rest of us who feel more than a bit green!

Seriously though that's a nice haul with some attractive pieces in it.

What's the tool at the front of your first picture? I can't tell if it's a very large spokeshave or an augur with a short bit.

Andy

One of the coach making tools, I think.

Nice ultimatum marking gauge in the second pic!

BugBear

It looks like an incredibly large spokeshave with a 1/4'' chisel blade. I have no idea what it would have been used for. I have no idea what I'll use it for. I've just taken a couple of pictures of it (and the lovely old box the first load of tools came it) but I'm having unexpected technological difficulties. After years of working we now have "USB device not recognised". There are a lot of (wooden-handled) keyhole saws in the box if that provides a hint.

bugbear: I noticed that too. It's in very good condition. Lucky that a dealer didn't spot it given the minimal price the whole box went for... *gloat gloat gloat*

Luke Kelly":3rr9u6f9 said:
In-laws are currently very popular with me.
I bet they won't be so popular with SWMBO. You're going to be spending hours in the shed instead of mowing lawns, washing car, etc. :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

Luke,
Nice haul!
Interesting little dovetail saw, I'll bet that has a nice name on it when carefully cleaned up, be VERY careful if it has split saw nuts, make a proper tool to undo them from an old large screwdriver.
Great marking gauge as has been said.
Good trefoil ebony square.
Whats in the leather pouch?
Nice little brace, if the screw is missing I may have one for you. :wink:
See if the mitre square is named. Likewise the drawknife, egg handles are usually good news.
See if there are a full set of 8 irons for the plough plane which looks in fair shape.
If the cleaver thing with the hole is an ELWELL do not chuck it out but make a nice handle.
I spend a lot of time looking at pics like this one! :p :p
Got some good bits there.
Cheers and enjoy.
Martin

mahking51: Cheers for the observations. I'll let you know the answers to all your questions when I get my hands on the box. Am very much looking forward to it. I promise I'll put up photos!

Here are a couple of close-up photos of the coach-maker's tool.

DSC_1834%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_1835%20(Medium).JPG
[/img]

And a better photograph of the first box.

DSC_1837%20(Large).JPG

Waht can I say, except bar steward - you (I) can't believe other peoples' luck... Trust me not to go on eBay for a while, and miss that little lot!

Good luck with them - and can anyone tell me what "swmbo" means?

Mailman14":1kxpyjxj said:
- and can anyone tell me what "swmbo" means?

"she who must be obeyed" , aka the wife .

According to my swimbo , us simple men folk are himbi s , "he who must be instructed"

LOL - got it that night when I asked my wife... :oops:
Thanks, I thought it was a female members username...

Latest posts

Back