New to Woodturning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee85

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings may this be the first of many visits and making some new contacts.
Taking up the art after a year of wanting to do so .I may well just be reading all your posts until I find my feet here currently have no equipment however live by the rule buy cheap buy twice so will be looking out for any names and models that are recommended.
looking forward to getting to know you all

read here lots!

but record power and 'coronet' are some brands that crop up on ebay and elsewhere, they may be older but built like tanks so will be fine.

When looking consider what you need and your budget, whilst some may come with limited tools and wood you may need sharpening equipment, PPE, finishing and suchlike so likely what you spend on the lathe you may need to spend again on other bits.

avoid cheap lathes from Lidl or china, they wont be anywhere near the quality as the models listed above, and be prepared to either wait or travel, they are heavy so on ebay will be collection only, so again decide on your limits, i have been looking on and off for about 3 years and only just got one that was local and a good price, there were similar that cropped up previous but wasn't willing to do a 200 mile round trip for example.

Also consider that if you get a good deal then if you find you really hate it then you wont have lost much money, but if you decide to buy new then you may find you have £400-500 worth of kit that you dont want and cant sell without a big loss, but a £150 ebay used lathe with tools and some wood/etc will probably resell quite nicely.

Once in a while you see a package deal sell for less than the value of the ancillaries - when the time comes keep what you want and sell the lathe on. Always worth looking at Gumtree, local small ads.
As always I post this with monotonous regularity, but others will agree - buy as new a copy of this as you can.
http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/b ... &hs=Submit
It's the best beginner's book going.

phil.p":2viy6o81 said:
Once in a while you see a package deal sell for less than the value of the ancillaries - when the time comes keep what you want and sell the lathe on. Always worth looking at Gumtree, local small ads.
As always I post this with monotonous regularity, but others will agree - buy as new a copy of this as you can.
http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/b ... &hs=Submit
It's the best beginner's book going.

mine turned up in a few days when i bought one, postage cost more!

really need to re-read it, but its a good book and well worth the pennies it will cost!

ok so have come across this for £500 starting bid been trying to work out the cost of extras look like a good deal people ?

For sale is a 240v Record Power CL4 lathe with a variable speed control unit. This lathe was bought brand new in 2010 but has only been used a few times so it is in excelent ready to go condition. In the sale you will get everything in the photos,bed bars x2,headstock,tail stock,tool rest and banjo,bar clamps x2,supernova 2 chuck with dovetail jaws, large 4 jaw chuck,2 sets of interchangable jaws,jacobs chuck and key,headstock key,live center,all spanners and a full set of forstner drill bits and probably a few extra bits ive forgoten to list!. The lathe has 5 belt driven speeds but with the variable speed control gives you infinate control. You can find more info on the Record Power website and is listed there at £899. Collection from Stanstead Abbotts Hertfordshire or I can deliver locally with my diesel cost covered. If you require any more info please message me. Happy bidding

Lee - There are no woodturning tools, sharpening equipment or face protection in the list, so you will have to factor those in. It's also collection only so there's traveling expenses as well.
Don't forget that £500 is the starting price. It may get a lot higher before bidding ends.
One of the chucks is for metal working - difficult to use for wood if you don't know what you are doing.
HTH

I would strongly recommend you confine your net to only those lathes that have a spindle thread of M33/3.5 and a head and tailstock each with a 2 morse taper. These are rapidly emerging as the industry standards and by sticking to that standard, you will make your chuck and other accessory buying experiences a heck of a lot more straight forward as well as future proof your resale value if you upgrade later.

Back