new to routing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have an idea of size of projects that you will be using the router with? If you are making shelves, small boxes, toys etc. you might prefer a 1/4 collet router.

It may sound obvious but a regular sized router on smaller projects can often be unstable at the start/end of a pass. There are other factors to consider but I really prefer a smaller router for most projects that I do.

I think a persons size might be pertinent when it comes to which tool for hand held routing.
I'm one of those people who can never find a glove large enough to fit properly, and when I first used a 1/4" edge trimmer, i damn near fed my little finger into the bit simply because that was where i would normally hold something to keep it steady. I had to be extremely careful to bunch my fingers together to keep them whole. Wheras a 1/2" router hand held really and truly needs the work clamped and both hands on the handles, regardless of what size cutter is in it.

Thanks Ttrees for the video.
GarF - you are most kind, need to be aware of the risks, your clip gives me the heebie-geebies, which is just what I need before I start, to make my routing safer. Thanks again.
Stanleymonkey - Thanks and my new router is 1/4" - a Makita cordless version. I will report back hopefully with all fingers when I have used it. Shed time is spent reorganising my workspace at present, looking forward to making something again!

Back