new table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slemishwoodcrafts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In light of my other thread about the broken insert for my macallister table saw, I have wondered about the possibilty of upgrading my saw to something more powerful and more solid. I am worried that I might not be able to replace the insert as it was very thin and I'm not sure that wood will work, and I don't kknow how suitable plastic would be to make a new insert.

Anyway, ideally I would love a Wadkin, but the problem is most for sale on ebay are on the mainland and it is expensive to ship it over here, although in hindsight it's probablly cheaper than me driving lol :p :p

I like the idea of Wadkin because I know they are very solid and (in a hushed voice) can take a dado blade!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any suitable alternatives to a wadkin also!!

Regards,

Michael

When I was looking for my table saw (I eventually bought a single phase Wadkin) I had a 'shortlist' of Wadkin and Startrite. The Startrites I have seen advertised seemed good solid engineering. I have no regrets about the Wadkin table saw and the Startrite band saw I now own - both are middle aged and well built and engineered. Startrite machines were 'favoured' by educational establishments and were built to be 'used'.

Just keep an eye on Ebay. Remember these are heavy bits of kit and you need help (people or machinery) to safely move them around. If you do collect then hire a van with a tail lift!

Misterfish

big soft moose":ol8yotqs said:
you could try here http://www.maginn.ie/used_machinery_rip_saws.php they are in dublin but it might be cheaper to ship stuff over the border than it is to ship it accross the irish sea

Thanks for that link. Had a look and they have some good stuff. Sent them an email but will probably have to wait until tomorrow for a reply :p

Regards

Michael

As much as I'd like the DEFT, I'm afraid I just can't justify the cost. I'm a student waiting to go to University, so the maximum budget I can set aside is £300 maximum.

I'd thought about a wadkin, because I saw some people on here had got one for that kind of money, and I don't mind having to clean it up a bit if it needed it.

Regards,

Michael

Keep a regular eye on Ebay. There have been some good value buys recently (recession?) and in previous years 'stuff' has gone for lower prices during holiday seasons. The biggest 'problem' is finding what you want without having to travel long distances.

Misterfish

this may sound a bit silly, but i was wondering if i bought a 3 phase saw, that was braked and had an ardour long enough to take a dado, then if I swapped the motor over to single phase, surely it wouldn't be braked?

Regards,

Michael

Michael,

Most modern saws are braked using a DC injection system to stop the motor, so if you swap out the motor and control gear then you have removed the brake. You can get this sort of brake for single phase motors, my planer/thicknesser has one.

On some old kit the brake was a mechanical system, some you had to put you foot on the peddle to apply it. I don't you will find many like that about.
My old Wadkin was not braked with its original 3 phase motor.

hi

I would just like to say that I have resolved my tablesaw problem and thanks to all who helped me with it here.

Gary from belfast sold me his SIP 10" saw and I am very pleased with it. Phoned him this morning and and the saw was sitting in my workshop this afternoon. :D :D He was good enough to deliver it to me!!

regards,

michael

Latest posts

Back