new table saw recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexfn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

After years of doing site only work im now moving into a workshop where i will be doing all my work.

For the last few years ive been using a dewalt table saw. Great for site work love the rack and pinion fence, but it is what it is a lightweight noisy brushed motor saw.

Im now looking to buy something more substantial with an induction motor and cast iron top.

Right now i have no van to collect anything so i probably need to buy new and get it delivered.

My budget is around 650. Not much i know but i have to fit out the whole workshop.

I already have 2 track saws so looking for table saw recommendations only.

Also im half hour south of glasgow if anyone is selling a table saw and can deliver!

Thanks

Alex

In your position and budget, I'd suggest a used Startrite or other old British cast iron and either pallet delivery or factor in a days van hire.

I feel that at £650 buying new you would be limited in choice and still end up with some compromises. Charnwood is a possibility but I know someone who got a new one and was very dissappointed on accuracy and repeatability that he got rid of it.

i have been looking at the charnwood saws , the W619 and w629 also the axminster ts 200 or 250.

does anyone have any of these and can recommend? the ts seems to have mixed reviews and cant find any of the charnwood

Alex, don't do this to yourself.

For £650 you'll just end up disappointed, replacing it, and losing a lot of money along the way. Struggle by with your track saws, and when you've got a van and the budget's crept over £1000, then look again for something second hand and decent.

Good luck!

Kind of agree with custard - but you could get an axminster AW10BSB2 new for £800, which isn't a million miles away from your budget

MattRoberts":1esgrod7 said:
Kind of agree with custard - but you could get an axminster AW10BSB2 new for £800, which isn't a million miles away from your budget

Good point, but that's still £1200 with the bits you'd want.

appreciate the feedback, one thing i will use a lot is the sliding table. so if i was to go for the AW10BSB2 id have to just go all out and get it as the full kit for £1300

at that price should i be going for the axminster AW10BSB2 or looking at the likes of the woodford table saw around the same price

see this is how it starts!!! :lol:

Personally I would save up and buy a European machine like an SCM or Moretens -much better design and quality than the china stuff. Not to mention meeting dust emission standards
Matt

You're not going to find a decent quality new tablesaw with sliding table for your budget, so something will have to give I'm afraid. You could always get the basic saw and then upgrade when you can. Our you could hunt for a second hand saw and then factor in hiring a van for collection. Although you might struggle to get a decent second hand sliding panel saw for that budget too!

Latest posts

Back